Judge finds reasonable grounds to proceed with murder charge against 16-year-old boy
AI-generated summary
Layla Jeffery was reported missing from Donald on July 5 and her body was discovered in bushland on July 9.
A Children's Court judge has said there are reasonable grounds to suggest a teenage boy committed the murder of a 13-year-old Wimmera girl.
The 16-year-old boy fronted a Children's Court of Victoria on Friday by video link from youth prison.
He is accused of murdering Layla Jeffery, whose body was found in bushland on July 9 after being reported missing from Donald, near Horsham, on July 5.
Judge Jack Vandersteen, the president of the children's court, said: "[The accused has] been charged as a single person and therefore as the principal."
He said there were reasonable grounds to believe the accused committed the offence, and that an item believed to have been at the scene of the alleged offending had been found.
Judge Vandersteen granted a police application to get a new DNA sample from the accused, after chief crown prosecutor Kristie Churchill KC asked for the boy's previous sample to be destroyed.
The judge informed the teenage defendant that if he did not comply with the mouth swab, police could use reasonable force to obtain it.
"They will ask you to do it yourself and if you don't, they will do it," the judge said.
The accused replied: "Alright."
When asked if he had any questions for the judge, the accused said: "No, your honour."
The accused attended his court appearance wearing a black beanie and a black T-shirt layered over a white long-sleeve top, with Judge Vandersteen asking him to remove the beanie at the start of the hearing.
After doing so, the teenager slouched down with his elbows on his knees for the rest of the hearing — periodically stretching, yawning and looking up at the camera.
The case has been adjourned until September 10.
AI outlook — possibilities, not facts
Next court appearance scheduled for September 10.
Very likely · Within weeks
Former world boxing champion Zolani Tete, 38, was shot dead by two masked gunmen outside his home in Mdantsane, South Africa. A 27-year-old woman accompanying him was also wounded in the attack. Authorities have launched an investigation into the motive.
Nigerian authorities are investigating two fraudulent agencies, the PFIPC and NBDMNSPO, which operated from government buildings using forged documents. Prince Adeniyi Adeyemi Matthew, the alleged mastermind behind the PFIPC, has been arrested.
Melbourne father Khaled Malas is missing after an alleged shooting in Wildwood on August 19. Police suspect he succumbed to chest injuries following a dispute over a $500,000 debt. Mohammed Aboueid, 56, has been charged with intentionally causing serious injury.
At her triple-murder trial in Massachusetts, former nurse Lindsay Clancy's defence argues she suffered from severe postpartum psychosis when she killed her three children in 2023.
A 15-year-old boy is in critical but stable condition after an alleged stabbing in Terrigal on the NSW Central Coast. Brisbane Water Police established a strike force and are seeking information regarding two groups of teenagers present during the incident.
A third woman involved in the alleged Sydney Swans sexual assault scandal has retained Slater and Gordon lawyers, with a potential civil lawsuit being explored as police investigations continue.