Breaking
CNJapan's Kanto region experiences a magnitude 5.9 earthquake, no tsunami dangerTRAlparslan Kuytul ve Çevresindeki Yapılanmaya İlişkin CİMER İhbardaki AyrıntılarESMorocco requests Spain to repatriate migrants and bodies after the incident in CeutaINPanama-Flagged Cargo Vessel Sinks in Bay of Bengal with 24 Crew OnboardCNSomali Pirates Hijack Eritrean-Flagged Tanker Off YemenINSoftware Engineer, 31, Allegedly Beaten to Death by Wife's Family in Delhi Over Matrimonial DisputeTRAlleged Helicopter Crashed in Giresun - Searches ContinueESHow to choose the right life insurance for your situation?UKManufactured Belonging: The Disorienting Experience of Manchester Super GiantsINTLLove in the Time of 9/11: A Chance Encounter Amidst ChaosCNJapan's Kanto region experiences a magnitude 5.9 earthquake, no tsunami dangerTRAlparslan Kuytul ve Çevresindeki Yapılanmaya İlişkin CİMER İhbardaki AyrıntılarESMorocco requests Spain to repatriate migrants and bodies after the incident in CeutaINPanama-Flagged Cargo Vessel Sinks in Bay of Bengal with 24 Crew OnboardCNSomali Pirates Hijack Eritrean-Flagged Tanker Off YemenINSoftware Engineer, 31, Allegedly Beaten to Death by Wife's Family in Delhi Over Matrimonial DisputeTRAlleged Helicopter Crashed in Giresun - Searches ContinueESHow to choose the right life insurance for your situation?UKManufactured Belonging: The Disorienting Experience of Manchester Super GiantsINTLLove in the Time of 9/11: A Chance Encounter Amidst Chaos
NewsgatherNewsgather
All StoriesWorldSportsFinanceTechScience
Sign In
All StoriesWorldSportsFinanceTechScienceHealthCultureClimatePoliticsSpace
NewsgatherNewsgather

Real-time global news intelligence. Curated by humans, powered by data.

Sections

All StoriesWorldSportsFinanceTechScience

More

HealthCultureClimatePoliticsSpace

Company

AboutEditorial StandardsAdvertisingCareersPressContact

©️ 2026 Newsgather. A product by All Software 24. All rights reserved.

Privacy PolicyCookie PolicyImprintTerms of UseContent and Editorial PolicyRemoval RequestAdvertising PolicyContact
Back|Trump administration proposes 25% tariffs on Brazil imports
Trump administration proposes 25% tariffs on Brazil imports
Urgent
Guardian World·6/2/2026·World·4 min read

Trump administration proposes 25% tariffs on Brazil imports

Quick Look

  • The Trump administration has proposed 25% tariffs on imports from Brazil, citing "unreasonable" trade practices.
  • Brazilian President Lula da Silva expressed "indignation" and blamed the decision on electoral rivalries, while the US trade representative cited "substantial differences" in resolving identified issues.

AI-generated summary

Font size

The Trump administration proposed 25% tariffs on imports from Brazil, charging that the world’s 10th-biggest economy engages in trade practices that are “unreasonable’’ and that “burden or restrict US commerce”.

Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva said he received the decision “with indignation”. The Brazil president also blamed the decision by the US administration on his rival in October’s elections, Flávio Bolsonaro, the senator who visited Washington last week. The senator is the son of former president Jair Bolsonaro, once nicknamed “the Trump of the Tropics” by his allies.

The announcement late on Monday came after an investigation by the office of the US trade representative, charging Brazil with lax anti-corruption enforcement and unfair tariffs of its own, among other things.

The US has had a goods trade surplus with Brazil for years.

The US trade representative Jamieson Greer said that he and Donald Trump had “constructive’’ meetings with Lula and other Brazilian officials. But he said: “We continue to have substantial differences in resolving the issues identified in this investigation.’’

Lula on Tuesday cited other reasons for the punishing tariff proposal. For the first time he named an American official as a hurdle to his relations with Trump and once again he threatened to retaliate.

“I spoke to President Trump for three hours, and that Marco Rubio guy, the head of the state department, he is anti-Latin American,” Lula said. “He is a deadly enemy of Cuba, a deadly enemy of many Latin American countries. I already told Trump that he does not like Brazil.”

The US state department did not immediately respond a request for comment from the Associated Press on Tuesday.

Brazil’s government said in a statement that its dialogue with American counterparts, which includes “personal involvement of Presidents Lula and Trump”, is being “sabotaged by merely electoral and family matters” of the Bolsonaros.

It added that it hopes “the recommendations do not become effective tariffs”.

“But we stress we will adopt every measure that is capable of reducing the damage that might be caused to the national economy, to the jobs and the income of Brazilians,” the country’s government said.

Last year, Trump had slapped Brazil with a 50% tariff, mainly to protest its prosecution of Jair Bolsonaro for trying to overturn his electoral defeat in 2022. His relationship with Lula seemed to have improved early May, when the Brazilian visited the White House.

But last week, the Trump administration designated two Brazilian gangs as terrorist organizations after Bolsonaro’s visit. Lula opposes the designation, which analysts say could bolster his political rival.

Greer’s office has scheduled a public hearing on 6 July on the proposed tariffs.

Ryan Majerus, a trade lawyer and partner at King & Spalding, said that the administration’s plan excludes more than half of US imports from Brazil, including aircraft and key minerals.

The Trump administration invoked section 301 of the Trade Act of 1974 to launch the investigation into Brazil’s trade practices.

Bolsonaro travelled to meet officials in Washington last week in the wake of a scandal at home in which he admitted receiving funds from a disgraced banker. Another son, the former lawmaker Eduardo Bolsonaro, was also present.

On Tuesday, Trump posted a photo of the Bolsonaros in the Oval Office on his social media site.

“These sons of Bolsonaro can be worse than him. They are actually sellouts of our country, they went there to ask a foreign nation to meddle in Brazilian affairs,” Lula said in a speech to residents of the city of Catalão, south of capital Brasília. “They are traitors.”

The US supreme court ruled in February that Trump overstepped his authority by using a different law – the International Emergency Economic Powers Act (IEEPA) of 1977 – to impose sweeping tariffs on US trading partners, including Brazil.

However, section 301 tariffs have survived legal challenges, and the administration is likely to use that authority to impose other tariffs and to recoup some of the tax revenue lost when the supreme court rejected the IEEPA tariffs.

Brazil’s president said that during a visit to Washington in early May, he handed Trump documents showing that the US has a trade surplus with Brazil.

Documents published by the US trade representative show that last year, US exports to Brazil rose nearly 11% to $54.4bn. Brazilian exports to the US fell 5.7% to $39.9bn, meaning the US had a trade surplus of more than $14bn.

The trade imbalance for services is more lopsided in favor of the US, with services exports in 2024 reaching $29.6bn, quadruple the Brazilian services exports to the US.

“I am not going to cry about it,” Lula said. “If they [the US] don’t want to buy from us, we will sell to someone else.”

China has been Brazil’s biggest trading partner for about a decade.

Related Topics

Topics
This article was originally published by Guardian World.

Quick Look

  • The Trump administration has proposed 25% tariffs on imports from Brazil, citing "unreasonable" trade practices.
  • Brazilian President Lula da Silva expressed "indignation" and blamed the decision on electoral rivalries, while the US trade representative cited "substantial differences" in resolving identified issues.

AI-generated summary

Story signals

News tone
Negative
News value
High
Global impact
Global
Urgency
Urgent
Follow-up likelihood
Very likely
Relevance window
Weeks

Source & Reliability

Source
Guardian World
Published
6/2/2026
Last updated
6/2/2026

Related Stories

More on this topic
Military airstrike on Myanmar monastery kills at least 14
Developing·8 hours ago

Military airstrike on Myanmar monastery kills at least 14

At least 14 people, including three women, were killed in a military airstrike on a Buddhist monastery in Myanmar's Sagaing region. The attack targeted civilians attending a meditation retreat, according to local witnesses and opposition groups.

Deutsche Welle
2 min read
Two killed in small aircraft crash in Croatia's Velebit mountains
World·9 hours ago

Two killed in small aircraft crash in Croatia's Velebit mountains

Two people died when a German-registered Diamond HK36 Super Dimona motor glider crashed in Croatia's Velebit mountains. The aircraft was traveling from the Czech Republic to Zadar when it went down during poor weather conditions.

Deutsche Welle
1 min read
Ukraine vows retaliation after double-tap drone strike in Kryvyi Rih
BREAKING·9 hours ago

Ukraine vows retaliation after double-tap drone strike in Kryvyi Rih

A double-tap Russian drone strike on a shopping mall in Kryvyi Rih, Ukraine, killed 16 people and wounded over 130. President Zelensky condemned the attack as a terrorist act and vowed retaliation, while the EU announced new sanctions against Russia.

The Independent World
3 min read
German Foreign Minister Visits Kyiv Amid Escalating Russian Air Attacks
Developing·9 hours ago

German Foreign Minister Visits Kyiv Amid Escalating Russian Air Attacks

German Foreign Minister Johann Wadephul arrived in Kyiv to reaffirm support for Ukraine as Russia intensifies drone and missile strikes on civilian infrastructure ahead of Ukraine's 35th Independence Day.

Deutsche Welle
3 min read
Iran Claims Victory in Conflict as France and Saudi Arabia Seek Alternatives to Strait of Hormuz
Developing·10 hours ago

Iran Claims Victory in Conflict as France and Saudi Arabia Seek Alternatives to Strait of Hormuz

Iranian President Pezeshkian claims victory in the U.S.-Iran conflict. Meanwhile, French and Saudi leaders plan to discuss bypassing the closed Strait of Hormuz, and U.S. envoy Tom Barrack faces backlash for comments contradicting U.S. policy on the Golan Heights.

The Independent World
3 min read
Six-year-old girl dies after family drowning incident in Sussex
World·10 hours ago

Six-year-old girl dies after family drowning incident in Sussex

Six-year-old Saja el-Khawas has died in hospital after a drowning incident in Shoreham, Sussex, that claimed the lives of her parents and 14-year-old sister. Police are treating the incident as a tragic accident with no third-party involvement.

Al Jazeera
1 min read
More on this topic
tariffs
trade
US-Brazil relations
tariffs
trade
US-Brazil relations
Donald Trump
Lula da Silva
Jair Bolsonaro
Flávio Bolsonaro
tariffs
tariffs