Canada announces retaliatory tariffs on US goods after trade talks collapse, prompting sharp response from President Trump.
AI-generated summary
The two nations failed to reach a trade agreement following three days of intensive negotiations. New US tariffs on Canadian goods took effect on Saturday.
US President Donald Trump has hit back at Canada after Prime Minister Mark Carney announced retaliatory tariffs on the United States following a breakdown in trade negotiations.
"Canada wants the benefits of being a State, without being one!!!" Mr Trump said in a post on Truth Social.
Since beginning his second term, Mr Trump has made numerous references to making Canada the "51st state" of America, which has infuriated the northern neighbours.
Earlier, Mr Carney said that new Canadian tariffs would take effect on September 8, notably targeting the US steel and dairy industries.
New 50 per cent US tariffs impacting about $US20 billion ($28 billion) worth of goods, or 5.5 per cent of Canadian exports to the US, came into force on Saturday.
The "dollar for dollar" tariffs on imports of US steel, electronics and other products mark a further worsening of relations between the longtime allies and major trading partners.
The two countries failed to reach a trade deal late on Friday, with each side blaming the other for derailing three days of intensive negotiations.
The breakdown complicates the future of a US-Mexico-Canada free-trade pact.
Mr Trump's new tariffs hit sectors including wine, furniture, dairy products, cement, clothing, fishing rods and hockey equipment,
These duties do not exempt Canadian products under the three-nation trade deal, which has shielded most Canadian exports to the US in the past 18 months.
The new US tariffs cover around 5 per cent of Canada's exports to the US.
They could expose some vulnerable industries such as softwood lumber and wine to severe damage and lead to job losses and business closures, trade experts have said.
"We will be mobilising our network of businesses in all regions and all sectors to brace for impact and make the best of a bad situation," said Candace Laing, CEO of the Canadian Chamber of Commerce.
Ontario Premier Doug Ford, one of the most vocal opponents of US tariffs, supported Mr Carney's decision to retaliate.
"I'm glad he didn't sign that deal because it was a bad deal. It was a bad deal for Ontario. It was a bad deal for the auto sector, the steel sector, and the manufacturing sector," Mr Ford said.
There were also US proposals that affected Canadian culture, language and sovereignty, Mr Carney said, without elaborating.
He was elected last year on a promise to be a tough negotiator with Mr Trump, and remains broadly popular. Polls show most Canadians oppose making any concessions to the US.
AI outlook — possibilities, not facts
Canadian retaliatory tariffs will take effect on September 8.
Very likely · Within days
The United States has imposed 50 per cent tariffs on $20 billion of Canadian goods after trade talks collapsed. Canada plans to retaliate, escalating tensions and threatening the future of the North American trade pact.
Airlines servicing Fiji are forced to fly in fuel and adjust routes due to a major contamination issue at Nadi International Airport, with the problem potentially lasting until the end of the month.

June quarter data reveals private sector wage growth in Australia slowed to 0.7%, the lowest since 2021. Despite significant profit growth in major corporations like BHP and Rio Tinto, real wages continue to decline as inflation outpaces salary increases.
XPeng electric vehicle owner Prabin Gautam was stranded on a Melbourne freeway after his car suffered a sudden drive-motor failure. The incident coincides with a wider fallout affecting hundreds of customers and creditors following a bitter legal dispute between XPeng and its former Australian distributor, TrueEV.
The WA Planning Commission has rejected a proposed Bunnings store in Dalyellup, Western Australia. Officials ruled the site is designated for residential use, prioritizing housing needs over big-box retail, following opposition from local business and political leaders.

Virgin Australia has apologised to disability advocate Shane Hryhorec after he was removed from a flight over his wheelchair motor following a dispute over storage rules.