
President Donald Trump sparked backlash on social media after sharing an image of himself in a 'Trump 2028' hat with the message 'We are going to win.'
President Donald Trump faced heavy criticism online over the weekend after sharing an image wearing a 'Trump 2028' hat and the message 'We are going to win,' reigniting concerns over constitutional term limits.
AI-generated summary
The 22nd Amendment to the U.S. Constitution limits a president to serving two terms. Trump has previously floated the idea of a third term.
President Donald Trump drew ire from the left and other critics over the weekend after sharing an image of himself wearing a “Trump 2028” hat along with the troublesome message: “We are going to win.”
The 80-year-old has long suggested that he would run again for president in 2028, even though the 22nd Amendment to the U.S. Constitution places a clear limit on the number of terms one can serve as president.
While Trump has previously tried to pass off his third-term ambitions as a joke, many online seemed to think that the black-and-white image — which dramatically cast shadows over Trump’s face alongside the campaign message — was a clear indicator that he would be running again.
“Call it what it is: Trump just announced his intention to run for a 3rd term in 2028,” one X user commented.
“He’s old, sick and demented,” another user wrote.
Another chimed in, writing: “Trump is out of his mind.”
“Oh please this is not ok! Take them all to jail !!!” another wrote.
“Completely effed up behavior,” one person commented on X.
Other social media users catastrophized about what the post might mean for the future.
“Anyone who still thinks he’ll go quietly at the end of this term is either not paying attention or too gullible for words,” one X user wrote.
“No one listens when he says this. Why? Because he’s a liar they assume he’s a liar. But he’s actually telling the truth that he plans to not leave the WH. Election or not. He will try not to leave. Jan 6 was a trial run,” another commentator theorized.
“I already told everybody he’s not leaving office. We are in America’s first dictatorship, and have been since he retook office,” one user added.
Other social media users slammed the font Trump used, comparing the style used for his “We are going to win” message to Fraktur, a traditional German typeface used in Nazi Germany to promote the regime.
“The gothic style lettering makes the message even more chilling…Whiffs of 1930s Germany,” one user wrote.
“And tell me why they put a Nazi font on the bottom left?” another person questioned.
Another X user simply noted: “‘We are going to win.’ …in an INTERESTING font.”
The Independent has contacted the White House for comment regarding the post.
The bizarre message comes days after Trump seemed to have given up on his pipe dream of serving an illegal third term as president. The president has donned “Trump 2028” baseball hats and repeatedly brought up the idea — all while ignoring the fact that the Constitution would not allow for him to seek a third term.
In comments made Tuesday at Joint Base Andrews, Trump was asked if he was “serious” about seeking a third term, an illegal notion he has long flirted with the possibility of, and seemed to waver from his previous stance.
“Everybody asks me that question,” he said. “And you know that the law is very strong on that. I’d love to run, but the law is very strong.”
He continued: “I get asked by everyone. Even tonight, they’re screaming at the event, ‘2028!’ No, everybody wants me to do it, but the law is very strong.”
However, the president ignored the reporter who tried to press for further clarification, moving on to the next question.
Trump has floated the idea of another term countless times, including during his State of the Union address earlier this year, telling the nation: “First year of the second term…it should be my third term,” he said, bringing up his long-held, debunked belief that the 2020 election was “stolen” from him when he lost to former President Joe Biden.

President Trump faces a potential electoral defeat similar to Jimmy Carter’s 1980 loss, as an unpopular, stalled war with Iran and rising fuel costs threaten Republican control of Congress ahead of the upcoming midterm elections.

Imran Khan's PTI party has filed a contempt petition against Pakistani officials for failing to transfer the former PM to a court-ordered private hospital, opting for a state-run facility instead and denying access to his personal physician.
US President Donald Trump threatens 'toughest sanctions in history' against Iran, while Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian claims victory and urges a diplomatic end to the ongoing conflict. Meanwhile, military tensions persist over detained pilots and Strait of Hormuz access.
The Australian Capital Territory (ACT) has committed to a federal gun buyback scheme following a deadly December shooting in Sydney. The initiative aims to reduce high-risk firearms in circulation, with the ACT joining New South Wales in the national effort.

More than 100 former French and British diplomats have issued an unprecedented joint letter calling for urgent sanctions, including arms and trade bans, against Israel, accusing the state of ethnic cleansing and undermining the two-state solution.

Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian has urged an end to the conflict with the US, asserting Iran's strength. Meanwhile, the US plans new sanctions as tensions remain high over the Strait of Hormuz, where the US navy continues to protect tanker convoys.