
Survivor Travis Frain and campaigners call for greater accountability and support for those affected by terror attacks.
Ahead of the UK's first national day for terror victims, survivor Travis Frain and campaigners highlight the need for better state support, criticizing the current compensation scheme for its limitations and dehumanizing processes.
AI-generated summary
The UK is establishing its first national day for victims and survivors of terrorism following a Home Office review. The initiative aims to provide better recognition and support for those impacted by terror attacks.
Travis Frain was texting his mates a photo he had just taken of Big Ben on a university trip to London when his day turned from normal to anything but.
"One of the guys in my group shouted 'look out' and as I looked up from my phone the terrorist's car was in front of me.
"It was a split second really before the car hit me. I went over the bonnet, into the air, before landing back on the ground."
This was 22 March 2017, when attacker Khalid Masood drove his car into crowds, killing four, before stabbing a police officer to death outside Parliament.
Frain, then 19, was left with multiple injuries including a fractured leg, which took two years to heal. "There will always be a part of you affected by that attack."
Now 28, he spoke to BBC News as the UK's first national day for victims and survivors of terrorism is set to take place on Friday.
Frain, who has campaigned for this day for nearly five years, said he feels recognition and memorials for terror victims "often go under the radar".
"As a society, it is right and morally correct that we should be remembering those lost to terrorism," he said, adding that victims were "often not targeted as individuals but as representatives of something far greater - the nation, the nation's values; the values we're all meant to hold I'm sure."
At the same time, the day will be about encouraging people to "keep an eye on each other" as "we all have a role to play" in stopping terrorism, he added.
In May, the UK's terror threat was raised to "severe", meaning an attack is highly likely. A record nearly 10,000 people were referred to Prevent, the government's anti-terrorism scheme, in the year to September 2025.
The idea for a national day for terror victims and survivors came about after a Home Office review found many needed more support.
But many who have campaigned for the day still feel more needs to be done to help survivors.
A report, released on Friday by the Survivors Against Terror (SAT), said while psychological support for victims had improved, no progress had been made to the state compensation scheme for terror victims, the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority.
SAT's co-founder Brendan Cox, whose wife MP Jo Cox was murdered by a neo-Nazi in 2016, welcomed the national day but warned "survivors also want it to be a moment of accountability".
"We're not talking large sums of money, we're talking about a process that dehumanises people where if you're a survivor of a terror attack, you can only claim for the first three injuries you have despite the fact you might have 80 or 90 or 100 pieces of shrapnel in your body," Cox said.
"At the moment we still have members who don't have the resources to build a downstairs toilet following attacks that have left them struggling to walk," added Lisa Ghiggini, who survived the Fishmonger's Hall attack in 2019.
The Ministry of Justice, which is responsible for the taxpayer-funded scheme, where victims self-classify the type of incident, said £180m was paid out last year for all types of violent crime including terrorism.

The Isles of Scilly topped a new index measuring social friendliness across 296 English local authorities, while Barking and Dagenham ranked lowest. The study, led by the Independent Commission on Community and Cohesion, aims to spark national dialogue on social unity.

Westminster council is threatening the survival of a homeless soup kitchen in Charing Cross through enforcement visits and complaints, prompting accusations that it is making operations impossible.

The parents of Genevieve Meehan, a nine-month-old who died after being strapped face down to a beanbag at a nursery, fear unsafe sleeping practices are widespread across England, as new restrictions approach.

Antisemitic incidents in the UK rose by 21% in the first half of 2026, with the Community Security Trust recording 1,926 anti-Jewish hate cases, driven in part by Middle East conflict fallout and increasing violence.

Girls from Tyneside describe threats, rape lists and violent language at school and online, prompting government action and calls for better education on healthy relationships.

Anton Honchanka, an 11-year-old from Belarus, was evacuated to the UK in 1999 through the Chernobyl Children's Lifeline program following the 1986 nuclear disaster. He fondly recalls his time with host families in Wales, who provided a peaceful and welcoming environment, and expresses a desire to reconnect with them.