
Move reflects Trump's hope to reengage Kim Jong Un but raises concerns over defense readiness.
South Korea and the U.S. have agreed to shorten and downsize their ongoing Ulchi Freedom Shield military exercises at President Donald Trump's request, sparking concerns among experts over allied defense readiness.
AI-generated summary
Ulchi Freedom Shield is a computer-simulated command post exercise meant to hone allied defenses against potential North Korean aggression.
SEOUL, South Korea -- The South Korean and U.S. militaries have agreed to shorten their drills at the U.S.'s request, South Korean officials said Wednesday, a move that likely reflected President Donald Trump’s hopes to reengage with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un but could undermine a U.S.-South Korean defense readiness.
Trump had ordered his Pentagon chief to “substantially reduce” the allies’ summertime Ulchi Freedom Shield exercises, just before they began Monday for an 11-day run. Trump cited what he said was a good relationship with Kim and South Korea’s refusal to join the U.S. war against Iran.
South Korea’s military said in a statement the ongoing drills with the U.S. would end Friday, not Aug. 27 as initially planned. It said the allies also agreed to downsize some joint field training exercises.
The statement said South Korea and the U.S. will discuss and carry out various steps to achieve objectives of their drills and establish combined defense postures.
Many experts say Trump’s move threatens to hurt combined U.S.-South Korean defense posture and eventually weaken their decades-long alliance.
Ulchi Freedom Shield is largely a computer-simulated command post exercise meant to hone the allies’ ability to deal with potential North Korean aggression. The two countries usually hold field a set of training exercises during the command post exercise period.
The drills and a similar springtime exercise are a central pillar of the U.S. -South Korea alliance, which dates to the 1950-53 Korean War. But it’s also a long-running source of tensions with North Korea, which has denounced the exercises as a rehearsal for an invasion and responded with provocative missile tests. Days before this month's drills began, North Korea launched two ballistic missiles into the sea.
This month's drills were reportedly supposed to be held in two phases — the first part until this Friday with a focus on defensive operations in simulation of North Korean attacks and the second part until Aug. 27 to practice counteroffensive operations. North Korea is typically extremely sensitive to counteroffensive drills.
North Korea hasn't responded to Trump's overture. But earlier Wednesday, its state news agency, KCNA, published a commentary slamming the U.S.-South Korean military drills as “frantic” and “extremely dangerous” and vowing to completely frustrate its rivals’ hostilities.
“The dangerous escalation of the war drills staged by the U.S. and its vassal forces is posing a more serious threat to the security rights” of North Korea, the commentary said. “Our exercise of its right to self-defense will continue to completely neutralize the enemies’ military threat.”
Many experts said Kim, now emboldened by his advancing nuclear program and expanding military cooperation with Russia, won't likely embrace Trump's overture anytime soon unless he's promised bigger concessions. In response to Trump's previous outreach, Kim suggested last year that he can return to talks only after the U.S. drops its demand of a North Korean denuclearization as a precondition for diplomacy.
Trump and Kim met three times from 2018-2019 but their high-stakes diplomacy eventually fell apart over wrangling over a North Korean demand for extensive sanctions relief in return for limited denuclearization steps.
On Monday, South Korean President Lee Jae Myung's office expressed hopes that a “friendly relationship” between Trump and Kim would lead to “meaningful dialogue” between their countries to promote peace on the Korean Peninsula. This drew a strong backlash from conservatives, who alleged Lee's government was prioritizing the resumption of Kim-Trump diplomacy over security concerns caused by Trump's move.
AI outlook — possibilities, not facts
Ongoing drills will end on Friday instead of August 27.
Very likely · Within days

Romania intercepted and destroyed an explosive-laden drone boat near the Neptun Deep gas platform in the Black Sea. Officials blamed Russia for the incident, marking the second such threat to the critical energy infrastructure this month.

President Donald Trump signed a national space transportation policy aiming for over 1,000 annual launches by 2030. The directive mandates infrastructure upgrades at federal spaceports, improved scheduling transparency, and the identification of new launch sites for geographic resiliency.

A new Pentagon report shows that more U.S. service members are reporting unwanted sexual contact, with reporting rates rising to 33% in fiscal year 2025. Meanwhile, the overall prevalence of sexual assault and harassment incidents decreased among active duty personnel.

The USS Abraham Lincoln is returning after a nine-month deployment. Reports of deteriorating mental health and potential suicide attempts among the 5,000-person crew have surfaced, with experts citing extended isolation and inconsistent leadership messaging as key stressors.

The US and South Korea concluded their military drills six days early in a gesture to North Korea, but Pyongyang dismissed the move and test-fired about 10 short-range ballistic missiles.

The U.S. Army has directed a specialized drone warfare battalion within the 173rd Airborne Brigade to end its unmanned technology efforts and return to traditional infantry duties under acting chief of staff Gen. Christopher LaNeve.