
Singles champions to receive $5.5m each as Grand Slam introduces record prize money and forms a new player council.
The US Open announced a record $108m prize fund, marking a 20% increase, alongside the formation of a Grand Slam Player Council and a $2m welfare fund contribution.
AI-generated summary
Leading players previously limited media appearances at major tournaments to highlight grievances regarding prize money distribution and welfare funds.
The US Open will offer the biggest prize fund in Grand Slam history with a total of $108m (£79.2m) on offer - marking a 20% increase on last year.
The singles' champions will receive $5.5m (£4.03m) each in a 10% increase on 2025.
First-round losers will take home $140,000 (£102,667) - which is $30,000 and 27% more than last year.
The prize pool includes a $2m (£1.47m) contribution to a welfare fund, which leading players have been demanding from all the Grand Slams.
The four Grand Slam tournaments have also jointly announced the formation of a Grand Slam Player Council. This was another key request from players, some of who limited media appearances at the French Open and Wimbledon to 15 minutes to highlight their grievances.
Their other main demand is for each Grand Slam to dedicate 16% of its revenue to prize money, with the figure rising to 22% by 2030.
It is possible the US Open has become the first Slam to hit that target, but the US Tennis Association (USTA) has not yet published its financial statement for 2025.
Player representatives have also not seen the figures. However, if you allow for 10% growth to the $559.7m (£410.5m) the US Open generated in revenue in 2024, then prize money of $98.5m would have be in line with player expectations.
The USTA says the financial statement will be published before the start of the main draw.
Chief executive Craig Tiley, who previously headed up Tennis Australia, described the offer as "a significant first step in a multi-year investment in athletes".
In a BBC interview in March, world number three Jessica Pegula highlighted how last year's US Open increase was targeted primarily at those who needed it least -the players who made the second week.
This year, however, the percentage increase is highest in the first round, then falls in every subsequent round.
There are also greater rewards for those competing in the mixed doubles event, which takes place during qualifying week.
The winners will still share $1m, but there is more for everyone else who enters, with first-round prize money doubled.
Player representatives had asked each Grand Slam to contribute $4m in benefit payments this year. The USTA is the first to ring-fence this money for the players, but it will come out of the overall prize fund.
The money for the new US Open player support programme will be placed in an independent holding account while the details are worked through.
The Grand Slam Player Council will have input into this. It will launch after the US Open "with a focus on player input into sporting matters at the four Grand Slam tournaments".
The exact framework is yet to be decided, but players have been invited to apply and told the council will allow them to discuss specific prize money concerns directly with the Grand Slam in question.
Player representatives "welcomed" the various announcements and noted the "substantial increase" in prize money.
"Players look forward to building on today's positive announcements and ensuring the Council develops into a genuinely representative and effective forum for player consultation, while continuing to work through their representatives on prize money and player welfare," a statement read.
The US Open begins on Sunday, 30 August.
AI outlook — possibilities, not facts
USTA financial statement will be published before the start of the main draw.
Very likely · Within days
Grand Slam Player Council will launch after the US Open.
Very likely · Within weeks

Ben Stokes and Joe Root have criticized the decision to exclude Headingley from the 2027 men's Ashes series. Stokes labeled the omission 'shambolic,' noting the team's strong record at the Leeds venue, which will not host a men's Ashes Test until 2031.

Chelsea forward Joao Pedro has signed a contract extension keeping him at the club until 2034. The 24-year-old, who scored 20 goals last season, received improved terms as a reward for his performance and to protect the club's investment amid interest from Barcelona.

Lionel Messi has been fined an undisclosed amount by the MLS disciplinary committee for slapping Philadelphia Union midfielder Quinn Sullivan during a 2-2 draw at Subaru Park. The incident occurred in the 101st minute of the match.

Arsenal legend Ian Wright has criticized the club for their treatment of Gabriel Martinelli, who has been omitted from recent squads. Arsenal, seeking to sell players to balance their squad, maintain the decision is based on tactical depth.

Two WNBA games were paused after spectators threw sex toys onto the court. The incidents, occurring in Chicago and Los Angeles, mirror similar disruptions from last season linked to protests against the league's policies on transgender athletes.

Headingley will host no men's Test cricket for two years, causing financial strain for Yorkshire CCC despite recent debt clearance. While the venue remains iconic for historic matches, the lack of marquee fixtures like the Ashes creates a £2m-£3m annual loss.