Breaking
AUAlberta Separatist Movement Gains Momentum Ahead of ReferendumSEStudents in after‑school care were forced to withdraw after the attack on Brinell schoolAUDRC Receives 16,000 Ervebo Vaccine Doses Amid Fastest-Growing Ebola OutbreakCNIsrael Targets 'Terrorist' in Southern Syria, Damascus Calls it 'Blatant Violation'GLOBALFifa President Gianni Infantino Asked to Skip Youth Tournament Amid Governance CrisisARTension between the United States and Iran continues with announcement of new sanctionsTRFilistin'de İsrail Saldırıları: Yaralananlar ve AlıkonulanlarTRAlparslan Kuytul ve Çevresindeki Yapılanmaya İlişkin CİMER İhbardaki AyrıntılarESMorocco requests Spain to repatriate migrants and bodies after the incident in CeutaINPanama-Flagged Cargo Vessel Sinks in Bay of Bengal with 24 Crew OnboardAUAlberta Separatist Movement Gains Momentum Ahead of ReferendumSEStudents in after‑school care were forced to withdraw after the attack on Brinell schoolAUDRC Receives 16,000 Ervebo Vaccine Doses Amid Fastest-Growing Ebola OutbreakCNIsrael Targets 'Terrorist' in Southern Syria, Damascus Calls it 'Blatant Violation'GLOBALFifa President Gianni Infantino Asked to Skip Youth Tournament Amid Governance CrisisARTension between the United States and Iran continues with announcement of new sanctionsTRFilistin'de İsrail Saldırıları: Yaralananlar ve AlıkonulanlarTRAlparslan Kuytul ve Çevresindeki Yapılanmaya İlişkin CİMER İhbardaki AyrıntılarESMorocco requests Spain to repatriate migrants and bodies after the incident in CeutaINPanama-Flagged Cargo Vessel Sinks in Bay of Bengal with 24 Crew Onboard
BackUS suspends negotiations with Iran, shifts to 'strangle' strategy
US suspends negotiations with Iran, shifts to 'strangle' strategy
BREAKING
RT News3 days agoPolitics2 min readRussia

US suspends negotiations with Iran, shifts to 'strangle' strategy

Negotiations halted after bombing campaign near Strait of Hormuz fails to achieve objectives

Quick Look

  • The US has suspended all negotiations with Iran, shifting to a long-term strategy to 'strangle' the country after a failed bombing campaign near the Strait of Hormuz.
  • The move follows the expiration of a 60-day peace deal window and ongoing maritime blockades.

AI-generated summary

Why It Matters

The US and Israel launched a bombing campaign on February 28. A June 17 memorandum of understanding aimed to negotiate a peace deal within 60 days.

Font size

The US has suspended negotiations with Iran and is seeking to gradually “strangle” the country, CNN reported on Tuesday, after its bombing campaign near the Strait of Hormuz failed to yield the desired results.

The US abruptly halted its most recent wave of strikes late last month amid reports that the war, launched alongside Israel on February 28, has largely depleted its stockpiles of precision munitions and interceptor missiles. US top brass have also reportedly warned President Donald Trump that the military has exhausted its list of targets near the Strait of Hormuz.

White House officials reportedly told political allies that they were changing strategy in what a CNN source described as “going from ‘hammer Iran ASAP’ to ‘strangle them’ over time.”

According to the outlet, Trump instructed his negotiators, including Vice President J.D. Vance and envoys Steve Witkoff and Jared Kushner, to halt talks with Tehran.

“There are no talks or conversations going on, or scheduled, with the Islamic Republic of Iran,” Trump wrote on Truth Social on Tuesday, adding that the US blockade of Iranian ports remained “in full force and effect.”

The June 17 memorandum of understanding (MoU), which provided a 60-day window to negotiate a definitive peace deal between the US and Iran, expired on Monday as the two sides clashed over its interpretation. Iran’s key negotiator, Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf, last week denounced what he called “theater diplomacy,” accusing the US of issuing unacceptable ultimatums.

Ghalibaf said on Tuesday that the Strait of Hormuz would remain closed until the US lifts its blockade, releases Iran’s frozen assets, and removes sanctions. Iran closed the strategic waterway, which handles around a quarter of global seaborne oil and LNG trade, shortly after the US and Israel launched their bombing campaign in late February. The US Navy declared its own blockade in April and has since been guiding ships through routes that Iran considers illegal.

What to Watch

AI outlook — possibilities, not facts

  • Continued closure of the Strait of Hormuz

    Very likely · Within weeks

Open Questions

  • How long can the US sustain the current blockade strategy?
  • Will Iran retaliate further if the blockade continues?

Related Topics

This article was originally published by RT News.

Related Stories

Замглавы МИД Казахстана объяснил цели конституционной реформы
Urgent·10 hours ago

Замглавы МИД Казахстана объяснил цели конституционной реформы

Заместитель министра иностранных дел Казахстана Арман Исетов заявил, что новая Конституция направлена на адаптацию политических институтов к современным реалиям. 23 августа в стране пройдут выборы в новый однопалатный парламент — Курултай.

Лента.ру
1 min read
Дмитрий Медведев назвал разработку народной программы «Единой России» беспрецедентным проектом
Politics·11 hours ago

Дмитрий Медведев назвал разработку народной программы «Единой России» беспрецедентным проектом

Председатель «Единой России» Дмитрий Медведев охарактеризовал создание народной программы партии как беспрецедентный проект. Документ, включивший 3,5 миллиона предложений граждан, станет основой работы партии на ближайшие пять лет.

РИА Новости
1 min read
Медведев заявил о продолжении программы социальной газификации
Politics·11 hours ago

Медведев заявил о продолжении программы социальной газификации

Дмитрий Медведев на съезде партии подтвердил продолжение программы социальной газификации, инициированной партией при поддержке президента. В планах — подключение к сетевому газу более 1,6 миллиона домовладений по всей России в среднесрочной перспективе.

РИА Новости
1 min read
Медведев высказался о праве на возвращение уехавших из России
Politics·11 hours ago

Медведев высказался о праве на возвращение уехавших из России

Зампред Совбеза РФ Дмитрий Медведев заявил, что граждане, покинувшие Россию и желающие ей поражения, не должны иметь права на возвращение, независимо от их последующих действий или покаяний.

РИА Новости
1 min read
Медведев заявил об отсутствии прощения для уехавших из России и желающих ей поражения
Politics·11 hours ago

Медведев заявил об отсутствии прощения для уехавших из России и желающих ей поражения

Заместитель председателя Совета безопасности РФ Дмитрий Медведев заявил, что уехавшие из России граждане, желающие стране поражения в войне, не могут рассчитывать на прощение.

Лента.ру
1 min read
More on this topiciran