
The WNBA apologized after security personnel asked fans to cover shirts with messages about transgender women participating in women's sports during a game in Atlanta, stating the actions were incorrect.
AI-generated summary
The WNBA has been at the center of debates regarding transgender women's participation in women's sports, with no clear policy beyond restricting the league to women.
At least three fans were asked by WNBA security personnel to cover shirts that had messages about transgender women participating in women’s sports during Sunday’s game in Atlanta between the Dream and the Indiana Fever. The league said in a statement Monday that the fans should have been allowed to wear the shirts. “The WNBA is aware of interactions at [Sunday] night’s game in Atlanta in which fans were asked by league security to cover their shirts,” the statement said. “This should not have happened.” Multiple outlets reported that two of the fans wore shirts from XX-XY Athletics, a brand that calls for women’s and girls’ sports to be restricted to those assigned female at birth. One person was wearing a shirt in support of transgender people. The Athletic reported that a fan wearing a “Protect Trans Kids” shirt was briefly shown on the State Farm Arena video board during the game, while another person wearing a “Trans kids belong in sports” shirt was shown during the TV broadcast. The WNBA has been the subject of recent debates on whether transgender women – people assigned male at birth who transition to align with their gender identity – should be allowed to participate in the league. There has never been such a player in the WNBA. Although the league’s collective bargaining agreement says the WNBA is restricted to women, it contains no more specific language about gender identity or sex assigned at birth. There have been players in the league who were assigned female at birth and later came out as transgender or nonbinary. Sophie Cunningham of the Fever said in an ESPN profile published last month that she was opposed to transgender girls and women competing in girls’ and women’s sports. Her stance led to small rallies and protests outside Fever games in Seattle and Portland, and Storm minority owner Celeste Keaton was given a five-game ban for confronting two fans who had signs supporting Cunningham. The league has informed the security workers from the Atlanta game that they were wrong to ask that the messages be covered up. The Dream said the team was not involved in the security personnel’s actions.
AI outlook — possibilities, not facts
The WNBA will formalize a policy on transgender participation within the next season.
Likely · Within months

Ben Stokes and Joe Root have criticized the decision to exclude Headingley from the 2027 men's Ashes series. Stokes labeled the omission 'shambolic,' noting the team's strong record at the Leeds venue, which will not host a men's Ashes Test until 2031.

Chelsea forward Joao Pedro has signed a contract extension keeping him at the club until 2034. The 24-year-old, who scored 20 goals last season, received improved terms as a reward for his performance and to protect the club's investment amid interest from Barcelona.

Lionel Messi has been fined an undisclosed amount by the MLS disciplinary committee for slapping Philadelphia Union midfielder Quinn Sullivan during a 2-2 draw at Subaru Park. The incident occurred in the 101st minute of the match.

Arsenal legend Ian Wright has criticized the club for their treatment of Gabriel Martinelli, who has been omitted from recent squads. Arsenal, seeking to sell players to balance their squad, maintain the decision is based on tactical depth.

Two WNBA games were paused after spectators threw sex toys onto the court. The incidents, occurring in Chicago and Los Angeles, mirror similar disruptions from last season linked to protests against the league's policies on transgender athletes.

Headingley will host no men's Test cricket for two years, causing financial strain for Yorkshire CCC despite recent debt clearance. While the venue remains iconic for historic matches, the lack of marquee fixtures like the Ashes creates a £2m-£3m annual loss.