Death under investigation after man found unresponsive in cell following arrest related to targeted Claremont incident
AI-generated summary
The deceased was in custody following a targeted assault incident in Claremont.
A man was found unresponsive in his cell at the Hobart Reception Centre just before 11am on Sunday. Tasmania Police says efforts to resuscitate him were unsuccessful. Police are investigating, while a professional standards investigation is underway into the circumstances surrounding the death. A 23-year-old man has died while being held in custody at the Hobart Reception Centre, Tasmania Police said. Police said prison staff alerted them to the man's death after they found him unresponsive in his cell just before 11am on Sunday. Tasmania Police Assistant Commissioner Doug Oosterloo said the deceased man was from New Norfolk, north of Hobart. He had been arrested on Saturday in relation to a wounding incident in Claremont the day before, and was transferred to the Hobart Reception Centre about 5:30pm, police said. "Ambulance Tasmania crews were called, Hobart uniform police attended and Hobart reception prison staff all attempted to revive the man," Assistant Commissioner Oosterloo said. "But tragically those attempts were unsuccessful." Assistant Commissioner Oosterloo said forensic specialists, detectives from Tasmania Police's professional standards unit and the coroner had attended the scene. "The professional standards investigation includes examining CCTV footage at Hobart Reception, records and interviewing all witnesses, and that is information that will come out in the investigation," he said. Tasmania Prison Service acting director Tristan Bell said the service would not comment further, with the matter being referred to the coroner. "On behalf of the Tasmania Prison Service, I extend my sincere condolences to the family and friends of the deceased man at this difficult time," Mr Bell said. Claremont incident 'targeted', police say On Friday about 5am, police responded to reports of an assault at a home on Curlew Parade, Claremont, which they believe to be a targeted incident. Police said they were told two people had entered the residence and assaulted two occupants. A man his 20s was shot in the hip and is now in hospital in a serious condition. The other occupant, a woman in her 20s, was reportedly struck multiple times with the side of an axe. She received medical treatment but was not hospitalised, police said. Police did not confirm what role the deceased man was alleged to have played, if any, in the incident.
AI outlook — possibilities, not facts
Further details on the Claremont incident and the deceased's role will emerge.
Likely · Within days
The coroner's report will provide cause of death and circumstances.
Very likely · Within weeks
Former world boxing champion Zolani Tete, 38, was shot dead by two masked gunmen outside his home in Mdantsane, South Africa. A 27-year-old woman accompanying him was also wounded in the attack. Authorities have launched an investigation into the motive.
Nigerian authorities are investigating two fraudulent agencies, the PFIPC and NBDMNSPO, which operated from government buildings using forged documents. Prince Adeniyi Adeyemi Matthew, the alleged mastermind behind the PFIPC, has been arrested.
Melbourne father Khaled Malas is missing after an alleged shooting in Wildwood on August 19. Police suspect he succumbed to chest injuries following a dispute over a $500,000 debt. Mohammed Aboueid, 56, has been charged with intentionally causing serious injury.
At her triple-murder trial in Massachusetts, former nurse Lindsay Clancy's defence argues she suffered from severe postpartum psychosis when she killed her three children in 2023.
A 15-year-old boy is in critical but stable condition after an alleged stabbing in Terrigal on the NSW Central Coast. Brisbane Water Police established a strike force and are seeking information regarding two groups of teenagers present during the incident.
A third woman involved in the alleged Sydney Swans sexual assault scandal has retained Slater and Gordon lawyers, with a potential civil lawsuit being explored as police investigations continue.