
Lodge, the former mortuary director of Harvard Medical School, was suspected of illegally stealing and selling donor bodies and organs. The school announced that it had agreed to pay $53 million to settle with the family.
AI-generated summary
Lodge, the former mortuary director of Harvard Medical School, was indicted in 2023 and sentenced to eight years in prison for illegally stealing and selling donated body parts.
(Central News Agency, Boston, 20th, comprehensive foreign news reports) Lodge, the former mortuary director of Harvard Medical School, was involved in illegally stealing and selling donor bodies and organs. The school announced that it had agreed to pay US$53 million (approximately NT$1.69 billion) to settle with the family and once again expressed its apology.
The Associated Press reported that Harvard Medical School Deans George Q. Daley and Bernard S. Chang announced the results in a letter to the community and described the behavior of former morgue director Cedric Lodge as "despicable, outrageous, and a blatant betrayal of the values that a member of the medical community should uphold."
Harvard stated that upon approval by the court, it will establish two class action settlement funds totaling US$53 million. As for the relevant response, a spokesperson for Harvard Medical School today only stated that the content of the dean’s letter shall prevail and has no additional information.
The class-action lawsuit was filed by relatives or representatives of 47 donors whose remains were originally donated to Harvard for research and education purposes, but were feared to have been mishandled or even sold.
After Lodge was indicted in 2023, the school reviewed information provided by federal investigators and compared the time the remains were cremated with Lodge's employment records to determine which remains might have been affected. The settlement is for relatives or designated representatives of the donors and covers events between January 1, 2018, and March 31, 2023.
Harvard also said it could not determine exactly which donors Lodge stole.
Lodge was sentenced to eight years in prison last year for stealing and selling human remains. Authorities said Lodge was at the center of this horrifying scheme, sending body parts such as his brain, skin, hands and face to buyers in Pennsylvania and other places "as if they were just cheap trinkets."
Lodge's wife, Denise Lodge, was sentenced to more than a year in prison for assisting in the crime. According to Harvard, six other people who purchased the body from Lodge have also pleaded guilty and been sentenced.
Assistant U.S. Attorney Alisan Martin said in court documents that in one case Lodge provided skins to buyers who had them tanned into leather and bound into books, which was an "extremely shocking fact."
Harvard usually returns the remains to their families or cremates them after they have completed research or teaching purposes. Lodge admitted to removing body parts before cremation. Harvard said it had neither permission nor knowledge of Lodge's actions.
Harvard Medical School expressed its respect for the altruists who donated, "We once again express our deep sorrow and empathy to the families of the donors who fear that they will be affected."
In addition to compensation, Harvard Medical School also agreed to provide the family with a statement condemning Lodge. The school has also improved its donation measures and plans to establish an annual medical student bursary to commemorate donors starting from the 2027-2028 academic year.
北京警方近期打掉一个以代办教师资格证为名实施诈骗的团伙,23名嫌疑人被刑拘。该团伙谎称有内部渠道可免试拿证,诱骗受害人支付高额费用,目前已核实受害人75名,涉案金额不等。

美國賓州費城一名22歲男子休斯涉嫌戴著「鬼娃恰吉」面具無故追趕晨跑女性並出言恐嚇,導致受害者逃跑時腿部重傷。當地警方目前已鎖定其身分並發布逮捕令。

新北土城發生震驚社會的雙屍命案,謝姓男子涉嫌開車衝撞並持刀砍殺妻子與小姨子致死,一審遭判2個無期徒刑。網紅Cheap在社群質疑法院未判死刑的理由,並指出外界對「2個無期徒刑」的誤解。

Customs officials in Vietnam seized nearly 1.2 tonnes of elephant ivory hidden inside hollowed-out timber after a 9,000-nautical-mile journey from the Congo River.

A 31-year-old Singaporean man was sentenced to nine years and 10 months' jail and eight strokes of the cane for physically abusing multiple young boys under his care, including a six-year-old.

台鐵新自強號於下午行經彰化社頭與田中間平交道時,撞上突穿越平交道的86歲電動代步車翁。老翁送醫後失去呼吸心跳急救中,事故造成社頭與田中站間單線雙向行車,列車延誤。