The maneuvers will be carried out next August with the aim of enhancing defense readiness, in response to Donald Trump’s announcement directing the Secretary of Defense to reduce their scope.
The South Korean Ministry of Defense announced the holding of the joint "Ulchi Freedom Shield" exercises with Washington in August, in response to US President Donald Trump's announcement of a directive to reduce their scope, considering them costly and provocative.
AI-generated summary
Trump announced his directive to the Secretary of Defense to reduce joint military exercises with Seoul, considering them costly and provocative to North Korea.
This comes in response to US President Donald Trump's announcement directing Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth to reduce the scope of the exercises.
The ministry said in a statement published on its “X” account that the maneuvers will be carried out between August 17 and 27, with the aim of enhancing the joint defense readiness between Seoul and Washington, through exercises that simulate realistic scenarios based on patterns of war and recent security developments.
The maneuvers include joint training in multi-field operations, in addition to government training in emergency preparedness during the period from August 18 to 21, as well as military training related to the operational scenario to raise combat readiness.
The South Korean Ministry of Defense stressed that "Ulchi Freedom Shield" is an annual defense maneuver, and that it aims to enhance the ability of the South Korean-American alliance to confront various threats, and raise the level of preparedness to protect the population in emergency situations.
Trump had announced in a post on the “Truth Social” platform that he had ordered the maneuvers to be reduced significantly, considering that they were costly and sent “an inappropriate and therefore inhumane or hostile message” to North Korea, which he said had been “non-threatening and respectful” during his presidency.
Trump praised his relationship with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, at a time when the Korean Peninsula is witnessing increasing tension against the backdrop of missile tests conducted by Pyongyang and the strengthening of military cooperation between Washington and Seoul.
Trump's statements regarding reducing the maneuvers open questions about the future of the American military presence and commitment on the Korean Peninsula, especially with reports circulating about the possibility of reducing the presence of American forces deployed in South Korea.
"Ulchi Freedom Shield" is one of the most prominent joint military exercises between Washington and Seoul, and aims to test the readiness of the forces and enhance their ability to deal with North Korea's missile and nuclear threats, while Pyongyang has become accustomed to considering the US-South Korean maneuvers a military provocation and has responded to them on previous occasions by firing missiles.
AI outlook — possibilities, not facts
The Ulçi Freedom Shield maneuvers will be held between August 17 and 27
Very likely · Within weeks
أعلن عمدة موسكو سيرغي سوبيانين عن إسقاط آلاف الطائرات المسيرة التي حاولت استهداف العاصمة الروسية خلال أسبوع، بينما أعلنت وزارة الدفاع الروسية عن تدمير 1053 مسيرة أوكرانية خلال الساعات الأربع والعشرين الماضية.
أعلنت وزارة الدفاع الروسية عن تكبيد الجيش الأوكراني خسائر بشرية تجاوزت 1340 جندياً خلال 24 ساعة، مع استهداف منشآت بنية تحتية ومراكز لوجستية في كييف ومناطق أخرى، بالإضافة إلى إسقاط 1053 طائرة مسيرة.
شنت القوات الروسية ضربات جوية بأسلحة دقيقة على منشآت لوجستية في كييف، بينما أقرت أوكرانيا بعجزها عن اعتراض الصواريخ الباليستية بسبب نقص صواريخ الدفاع الجوي، وسط تحذيرات برلمانية من تدهور الوضع الدفاعي للبلاد.
استمر القصف الإسرائيلي على عدة بلدات في الجنوب اللبناني، مع عمليات تمشيط بالأسلحة الرشاشة وتحليق لطائرات الاستطلاع
أقترحت أوكرانيا تخصيص تمويل من قرض الاتحاد الأوروبي لشراء أنظمة مضادة للصواريخ الباليستية وصواريخ ومسيرات، مع استمرار المباحثات وإعداد قائمة المشتريات قبل سبتمبر.
عثرت الأجهزة الأمنية الألمانية على مخبأ يضم سلاحين قتاليين في ضواحي برلين في أواخر صيف 2025. ووضعت الاستخبارات المخبأ تحت المراقبة دون أن يتقدم أحد لأخذه، وسط مزاعم غير مؤكدة حول تورط روسي.