Regional developments: Iran threatens the Strait of Hormuz, tensions in Iraq, and escalation in the West Bank
Iran requires lifting the blockade to open the Strait, Kataib Hezbollah threatens the Iraqi government, and the European Union warns of settler attacks
Quick Look
- Muhammad Baqir Qalibaf announced that the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until Iran's demands are implemented, amid continuing military tensions.
- In Iraq, Kataib Hezbollah threatened the government, while the European Union warned of escalating settler attacks in the West Bank.
AI-generated summary
Why It Matters
Iran and the United States have been locked in a conflict since February 2026. Iraq is suffering from internal and external pressure regarding the weapons of the armed factions.
The head of the Shura Council and Iran's chief negotiator, Mohammad Bagher Qalibaf, announced on Tuesday (August 18, 2026) that the strategic Strait of Hormuz will not be opened before the United States implements Iran's demands, including lifting the naval blockade of its ports. Ghalibaf said in a speech broadcast on state television: “I want to say clearly that the Strait of Hormuz will not be opened until the American obligations stipulated in the memorandum of understanding are implemented.” Ghalibaf counted among the demands the lifting of the blockade, the abolition of oil sanctions, and the release of Iranian assets frozen abroad.
Iran has been at war with the United States since the American-Israeli attacks on the Islamic Republic on February 28 led to the outbreak of a conflict that has spread throughout the Middle East. Despite the success of diplomatic efforts in ending the intense strikes between the two sides on April 8, sporadic clashes continued, especially in the Strait of Hormuz and its environs.
Iran has effectively imposed its control over navigation in the strait since the outbreak of war, and requires ships that want to cross it to obtain prior permission. It also wants to impose a “services allowance” on navigation traffic, which is rejected by Washington and other parties in the region.
For weeks, Tehran and Muscat have been conducting negotiations on the future of navigation through the strait, while Iran confirmed on Wednesday that an agreement had been reached on the geographical coordinates of the route that the ships are supposed to take. Tehran confirmed on Monday that the negotiations are “progressing seriously,” noting that it is in the process of exchanging views with Oman to formulate a “joint statement.”
Donald Trump threatened to bomb the Sultanate of Oman if it “obstructed” any possible agreement with Iran regarding the Strait of Hormuz, calling on Tehran to surrender in light of the continuing war, which has become an internal burden on the president.
Ghalibaf stressed in his speech that his country "is ready to inflict a more severe defeat on the enemy, in accordance with its practices."
The security official in the Hezbollah Brigades, Abu Mujahid Al-Assaf, said in the statement: “We have been patient for more than a hundred days with the empty ramblings of the young Prime Minister-designate, Ali Al-Zaidi (...), but we have not seen any development from him in understanding the complex circumstances going through Iraq and the region.” He added in the statement published on Monday night: “Our patience is beginning to run out with the provocative and irresponsible actions of the Zaidi young man,” noting that “homes were stormed and the families of the martyrs, the wounded, the mujahideen, and the sheikhs were terrorized and under the direct supervision of the American enemy.”
He continued, "We may begin to work on the principle of 'an eye for an eye, and the first is more unjust'," calling on political leaders to "correct the security distortion caused by" Al-Zaidi.
Kataib Hezbollah is considered one of the most influential Iraqi groups closest to Tehran. Over the years, it carried out attacks on American interests in Iraq, and lost a number of its most prominent leaders in American strikes on its positions. The Brigades, along with other factions, refuse to search for their weapons, under the pretext of the continued presence of foreign forces in Iraq, especially within the framework of the international coalition led by Washington to fight ISIS.
Al-Zaidi, who took office in May with American blessing and pledged to confine the weapons of armed groups to the state, gave the factions a deadline of September 30 to give up their weapons, coinciding with the end of the international coalition’s mission and the end of the withdrawal of American forces.
The Iraqi authorities say that in recent weeks they have begun receiving weapons from some groups.
Abu Mujahid Al-Assaf said that the factions clinging to their weapons require the “complete and real” exit of the international coalition and “liberating the political and economic decision from American hegemony,” in addition to “removing the Turkish forces” stationed for years in northern Iraq under the pretext of fighting the Kurdistan Workers’ Party, and “dissolving the armed Peshmerga forces” affiliated with the Kurdistan Regional Government.
Iraq faces increasing challenges in maintaining balance in its relations between the United States and Iran, and since the American invasion in 2003, it has constituted an arena of competition between the two powers.
Two Iraqi political sources told AFP that Al-Zaidi informed the political leaders of his readiness for “confrontation” and “clash” with the factions clinging to their weapons if they insisted on refusing to cooperate after the September 30 deadline.
The British Maritime Trade Operations Authority said today, Tuesday (August 18, 2026), that it had received a report about a ship being hit by an unknown projectile while crossing the Strait of Hormuz in the direction of departure, which caused damage to the engine room and resulted in casualties among the crew.
The rest of the crew members are receiving assistance from the Omani Coast Guard.
The authority reported that no environmental impact was reported as a result of the incident, while the authorities continue the investigation.
This comes at a time when shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz is still severely affected. The number of passing ships is still in the single digits, compared to more than 130 ships that used to sail daily through the strait before the war.
Oil prices rose on Tuesday as the prospects of reaching an agreement to end the war in the Middle East declined, after Iran announced that it would take a more offensive stance and the United States ruled out extending the ceasefire agreement, which reinforced concerns about energy supplies.
A senior Iranian official told Reuters yesterday, Monday, that his country had decided to shift its policy from defense to “fully offensive” due to the faltering efforts to reach a permanent agreement to end the war with the United States, at a time when Washington ruled out extending the temporary ceasefire agreement.
Progress has stalled in talks to stop the war and resume the movement of oil tankers through the strategic Strait of Hormuz, which threatens to prolong the conflict.
Brent crude futures rose 27 cents, or 0.3 percent, to $91.14 per barrel by 00:03 GMT, after yesterday, Monday, recording its highest level since July 30.
US West Texas Intermediate crude also rose 42 cents to $85.04 a barrel, after increasing by more than one percent earlier in the session to $85.37, its highest level since July 31.
The European Union warned today, Monday (August 17, 2026), that the escalation of attacks by Israeli settlers in the town of Qasra and other areas in the West Bank may lead to a broader eruption of the situation, describing these attacks as absolutely unacceptable.
European Union spokesman Shadi Othman in the West Bank said in a statement to Voice of Palestine Radio that what Qusra is witnessing comes within the framework of a wave of settler attacks extending from the north of the West Bank to its south, indicating that the bloc is following developments through continuous contacts with Israel and other international parties.
Othman added that the European Union has not seen a tangible change on the ground so far, explaining that the continuation of the attacks prompted discussions within the bloc’s institutions regarding taking additional steps.
Othman indicated that the European Union intends to send delegations including European political officials and diplomats to the Palestinian territories during the coming weeks, with the aim of field examination of the situation, communicating with the residents and listening to their accounts of what they are exposed to.
Othman explained that the bloc continues to evaluate its position on developments in the West Bank, in light of calls from Palestinians and human rights organizations to take more firm European measures regarding the escalation of settler attacks.
Various areas of the West Bank are witnessing an escalation in settler attacks, including attacking Palestinians and their property, blocking roads, and burning or destroying property, amid warnings that the continuation of these developments may increase tension in the Palestinian territories.
The Israeli army said in a statement last Wednesday, “Israeli civilians set up a tent in the Qusra area, and Israeli army soldiers worked to remove it while providing protection for the residents,” a day after dozens of soldiers were sent to Qusra and stationed in a number of homes in the town.
Israel has occupied the West Bank since 1967, while most European Union member states consider the Israeli settlements established there illegal under international law.
US President Donald Trump directed the Pentagon to reduce joint exercises with South Korea after he said that it refused to help in denuclearizing Iran, pointing to his good relationship with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un. Trump said in a social media post that the drills scheduled to begin this week are costly and "send a completely inappropriate and hostile signal" to North Korea, which he said has been "non-threatening and respectful" throughout Trump's time in the White House.
“Accordingly, and since it is too late to cancel them, I have instructed Secretary of War, Pete Hegseth, to significantly reduce joint military exercises!” Trump wrote. The president added that he recently asked South Korea's president to join the United States in its efforts to denuclearize Iran, "and they said, 'No, thanks!'" The move is the latest example of the president appearing to stand against an ally in favor of a leader whom previous administrations have long portrayed as an adversary. Trump and others in his administration have criticized NATO allies for what they see as a lack of support for his war against Iran, even as they seek to confront a more aggressive Russia in the Baltic region.
What to Watch
AI outlook — possibilities, not facts
The deadline to disarm factions in Iraq expires on September 30.
Likely · Within weeks
Open Questions
- Will Iran carry out its threat to attack oil tankers?
- How will the Iraqi government deal with the September 30 deadline?






