
Air India to immediately test all pilots for banned substances after a Phuket-Delhi flight incident where a senior pilot tested positive for marijuana, amid heightened safety scrutiny post-June 2025 crash.
AI-generated summary
Air India faces heightened safety scrutiny after a June 2025 crash killed 260 people.
Air India is to test all of its pilots for banned substances, starting immediately. It comes after an incident last week in which its Phuket to Delhi flight suddenly lost altitude, with a preliminary report saying the senior pilot had to retake their substance test. Reports say they had tested positive for marijuana. Pilots at the airline's budget arm, Air India Express, will also be subject to the tests from Thursday. Existing rules require at least 10% of pilots to be tested at random. Seventeen passengers and crew were injured when the Airbus lost about 91 metres (300 feet) in height shortly after departure on 4 August. It is being investigated by Indian authorities working alongside Airbus and France's air safety agency. Both pilots of the flight have been removed from duties until the investigation is complete. In a memo seen by the BBC, Air India said it was "important to go further" in its testing. "This initiative, which goes beyond regulatory requirements, reflects our determination to uphold the highest standards of safety and professionalism, and to provide reassurance to our passengers, stakeholders and the community at large," it said. The airline has already been under scrutiny after a June 2025 flight from Ahmedabad to London crashed shortly after take-off, killing 241 people on board and 19 on the ground. Only one passenger survived. The tests - for substances as well as medications prohibited under aviation regulations - are being carried out alongside training sessions at Air India's academy, as well as other locations including briefing centres and offices. Last week, former Ethiopian Airlines boss Tewolde Gebremariam became Air India's new chief executive.
AI outlook — possibilities, not facts
Increased regulatory oversight of Air India
Likely · Within weeks

A visit to Old Trafford for a Manchester Super Giants match raises questions about manufactured identity, cricket's commercial evolution, and the disconnect between traditional and franchise cricket.

Ben Stokes and Joe Root have criticized the decision to exclude Headingley from the 2027 men's Ashes series. Stokes labeled the omission 'shambolic,' noting the team's strong record at the Leeds venue, which will not host a men's Ashes Test until 2031.

Chelsea forward Joao Pedro has signed a contract extension keeping him at the club until 2034. The 24-year-old, who scored 20 goals last season, received improved terms as a reward for his performance and to protect the club's investment amid interest from Barcelona.

Lionel Messi has been fined an undisclosed amount by the MLS disciplinary committee for slapping Philadelphia Union midfielder Quinn Sullivan during a 2-2 draw at Subaru Park. The incident occurred in the 101st minute of the match.

Arsenal legend Ian Wright has criticized the club for their treatment of Gabriel Martinelli, who has been omitted from recent squads. Arsenal, seeking to sell players to balance their squad, maintain the decision is based on tactical depth.

Two WNBA games were paused after spectators threw sex toys onto the court. The incidents, occurring in Chicago and Los Angeles, mirror similar disruptions from last season linked to protests against the league's policies on transgender athletes.