
Search and rescue operations are underway after a powerful earthquake and dozens of aftershocks hit the island of Flores.
At least 47 people died after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake and dozens of aftershocks struck Indonesia's Flores island, damaging hundreds of buildings and triggering temporary tsunami warnings.
AI-generated summary
Indonesia is prone to earthquakes due to its location on the Pacific Ring of Fire.
At least 47 people have been killed after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck Indonesia early on Saturday, the nation's disaster mitigation agency has said.
The official death toll has been rising as a search and rescue operation gets under way. The National Disaster Management Agency (BNPB) said several people had been injured to varying degrees.
Hundreds of buildings in the region have also been damaged by the quake and the dozens of aftershocks that followed.
The quake struck the island of Flores shortly before 05:00 local time on Saturday (22:00 GMT on Friday). It had a depth of 15km, Indonesia's meteorology and geophysics agency stated.
The shallower an earthquake is, the more destructive its effects on the surface tend to be.
Strong aftershocks were felt in the same area, including one with a magnitude of 6.1.
Later on Saturday, a magnitude 6.4 earthquake was felt in North Sumatra at a depth of 163km.
Video taken at the port in Maumere showed large chunks of concrete breaking off the terminal building onto passengers waiting to board an inter-island ferry. Some were thrown into the sea when the gangway to a ship collapsed.
Emanuel Melkiades Laka Lena, governor of East Nusa Tenggara province, told a news conference that they were killed in their sleep by collapsing rubble.
Arnold Welianto, who lives in Talibura, a village near the coastline in Sikka, East Nusa Tenggara, said he was awoken by the "very strong shaking", adding: "I was startled awake and immediately went to my child's room."
He told the BBC that many people had already fled into the hills.
"Some other residents were standing along the roadside because the sea had also receded," he explained. "The water remained low for quite some time, so everyone panicked and ran - I went around to the community health centre, and the people there had already been evacuated."
A tsunami warning was issued but lifted around three hours after the initial jolt when no significant sea level rise was detected.
A stream of people could be seen moving inland on motorbikes after authorities issued a tsunami warning. BNPB said 2,000 people had evacuated or relocated on their own.
Manggarai province is among the most affected areas, the disaster agency added.
It said 24 fatalities had been recorded in Manggari province, 17 in East Manggarai province, three in Sikka province, and at least one in each of the Ngada, Ende and West Manggarai provinces.
At least two others had been seriously injured and 11 slightly injured.
AI outlook — possibilities, not facts
Search and rescue operations will continue in affected provinces
Very likely · Within days

日本關東地區今日清晨發生規模5.9地震,震央位於茨城縣南部,深度約70公里。目前無海嘯風險,未傳出重大傷亡。東京部分地區出現停電與水管破裂,核電設施運作正常,政府已成立緊急應變小組。

At least 14 people, including three women, were killed in a military airstrike on a Buddhist monastery in Myanmar's Sagaing region. The attack targeted civilians attending a meditation retreat, according to local witnesses and opposition groups.

A Myanmar military air strike on a monastery in Myaung township, Sagaing region, killed 14 civilians during a Buddhist Lent meditation retreat. The attack, which occurred Friday morning, resulted in the deaths of 11 men and three women aged 50 to 70.
İsrail'in Gazze Şeridi'ndeki Deyr el-Belah kentine düzenlediği İHA saldırısında 1 kişi yaşamını yitirdi. Gazze Sağlık Bakanlığı, 10 Ekim 2025'ten bu yana süren saldırılarda toplam can kaybının 73 bin 419'a ulaştığını açıkladı.

Rusia y Ucrania intensificaron ataques contra infraestructuras críticas y zonas civiles. Un bombardeo ruso en Kryvyi Rih dejó 16 muertos, mientras ataques ucranianos con drones impactaron refinerías y centros logísticos en territorio ruso, causando víctimas civiles.

북아프리카 모로코와 스페인령 세우타 국경을 넘다 사망한 이민자들의 장례 절차가 시작되었습니다. 세우타 당국은 모로코 정부가 시신 인계를 거부했다고 주장했으며, 현지에서는 밀입국 조직의 범죄 행위와 이민자들의 불안정한 상황이 지속되고 있습니다.