
The 62-year-old broadcaster says his world was turned upside down by the diagnosis but he is now on the mend.
BBC Radio 2 DJ Trevor Nelson, 62, has revealed he underwent surgery after being diagnosed with a brain tumour earlier this year and is now recovering at home.
AI-generated summary
Trevor Nelson announced in June that he was stepping back from work commitments due to undisclosed health issues.
Trevor Nelson, the BBC Radio 2 DJ, has revealed he had surgery after being diagnosed with a brain tumour and is now on the mend.
The broadcaster, 62, said in June that he was taking a break from work commitments to deal with health issues.
In a post on Thursday, Nelson said his “world was turned upside down” when he found out he had a brain tumour.
The radio host has spent the last month “recuperating, resting, and recovering” after surgery that went “incredibly well”, and said he hoped to return to work soon.
Nelson, who has spent a 30-year career at the BBC championing Black British music, said in a video message: “A lot of you may have seen the post that I put up at the start of summer, saying that I was stepping back from all my work commitments due to illness.
“There’s been a lot of speculation as to what’s wrong with me, I know that much.”
About 13,000 people in the UK are diagnosed with a primary brain tumour every year, according to the Brain Tumour Charity.
Nelson said: “I’m not going to go into it all now, and I will probably deep-dive into it at a later date so you can hear the whole crazy story.
“But I’ll tell you this: I was minding my own business, and then it was discovered that I had a brain tumour. My world was turned upside down. It was a shock to myself, my close family, and friends. My head was all over the place.”
The broadcaster said he underwent surgery a few weeks after his diagnosis. “Thankfully it went incredibly well, and the last month I’ve been at home recuperating, resting, recovering, and getting some post-op treatment.”
He said he was feeling “almost back to myself”, adding: “I’ve had a really serious situation, but I’ve come out the other side at this point and I feel great. I feel raring to go, and I feel in good health.”

Dog owners are raising concerns over a potential link between recalled fresh meals from the brand Years and a severe eye condition known as sudden bilateral dry eye in their pets.

A teenager blinded by a firework on Bonfire Night in Scarborough has called for a public sales ban and is preparing to run the London Marathon to raise funds for the RNIB.

DR Congo is rolling out the Ervebo Ebola vaccine in a trial against the Bundibugyo species as the WHO warns the outbreak is growing exponentially, with nearly 2,500 deaths recorded three months after being declared.

Contaminated imported eggs have infected 207 people with salmonella across the UK, resulting in one death and 34 hospitalisations, according to the UK Health Security Agency.

An analysis of UK baby foods shows a quarter still contain excessive sugar, with 58% breaching government voluntary guidelines a year after introduction, prompting calls for mandatory rules.

A 25-year study of 22,000 Britons reveals that men with cardiovascular disease face a significantly higher risk of developing and dying from cancer compared to women, with smoking, obesity, and alcohol identified as key contributing factors.