
Prime Minister insists he followed correct procedures after engaging with an impersonator posing as a top U.S. official.
AI-generated summary
The incident involved a message exchange between the Prime Minister and an individual impersonating a top U.S. official. POLITICO previously identified that the phone numbers of several Cabinet ministers were accessible online.
LONDON — British Prime Minister Andy Burnham insisted on Tuesday he handled a message back-and-forth with someone impersonating Donald Trump’s chief of staff in the “right way.”
He told broadcasters he is not embarrassed by the incident, reiterating that “nothing of consequence” was discussed.
POLITICO first reported Monday that the U.K. prime minister had engaged with messages from somebody pretending to be Susie Wiles, a top adviser to the U.S. president. The key aide has previously been the victim of a phone hack, although the White House said the two incidents were not connected.
“All politicians are, you know, receiving these pressures and these challenges, but I did everything right,” Burnham said during a visit to Wolverhampton. “There was a minimal exchange of information of zero consequence, and it was quickly reported,” he added.
“I realized that this needed to be reported, and I did so. So I handled it in the right way,” he also said.
The incident has raised questions about potential national security vulnerabilities when it comes to the communications of senior politicians.
Defence Secretary Wes Streeting was among three Cabinet ministers whose numbers were found online by POLITICO on Monday.
Liberal Democrat MP James MacCleary on Tuesday called for an inquiry into the Burnham message exchange, which he described as a “dangerous security breach.”
In a letter to the chair of the Intelligence and Security Committee, he wrote: “This is an unacceptable breach. The security of the Prime Ministers’ communications ought to be absolute priority — and yet it appears, in this case, that routine measures to guard against these kinds of breaches were not followed.”
Burnham would not say whether the government planned to change procedures in response to the dupe, but insisted that “the correct action has been taken here and in the U.S.”

Siim Kallas, the former Estonian Prime Minister and the country's first European Commissioner, has died at age 77. Kallas was a key figure in Estonia's post-Soviet monetary reform, the founder of the Reform Party, and a central architect of Estonia's EU integration.

President Donald Trump announced a $400 million privately funded White House ballroom project. The Supreme Court has temporarily cleared construction to continue, overriding lower-court rulings that sought to halt work due to a lack of congressional approval.

The UK, Australia, Canada, and Poland condemned Israel's decision not to pursue a criminal investigation into the 2024 airstrike that killed seven World Central Kitchen aid workers in Gaza.

Conservative German mayor Bernd Prange donated €10,000 to the far-right AfD and urged voters to back them in an upcoming Saxony-Anhalt election, creating a political dilemma for CDU leaders defending their firewall against the far right.

The UN Security Council is set to conduct a second straw poll to evaluate candidates for the next Secretary-General. With António Guterres' term ending December 31, members are assessing support for contenders from Latin America and Africa amidst potential veto power influence.

Japan has formally protested Russia's missile tests conducted near the disputed Northern Territories. The drills, involving the Pacific Fleet, follow President Vladimir Putin's recent visit to the islands, further straining bilateral relations amid the Ukraine war.