
Angus Taylor tells Anthony Albanese the opposition will only back the NDIS bill if the property investment tax loophole is fixed first.
Angus Taylor says the Coalition will only support the Albanese government's NDIS overhaul bill if it first removes the "widow tax" loophole from investment property tax changes.
AI-generated summary
The government proposed changes to negative gearing and NDIS eligibility criteria to manage federal budget costs.
Angus Taylor says the Coalition will only support the Albanese government’s proposed overhaul of the NDIS if it first removes the “widow tax” loophole from its changes to taxing investment properties.
The warning comes as the Albanese government hopes to land a deal with the opposition this week in order to pass the bill in the Senate after the Greens ruled out supporting changes to the scheme that are expected to boost the federal budget’s bottom line by $37.8bn over four years.
In a letter sent to Anthony Albanese on Monday afternoon, and first reported by The Australian, Taylor said delaying the amendments any further was “unconscionable”.
“Your government was warned about this problem before the legislation passed. You subsequently promised to fix it. Yet, weeks later, Australians are still waiting for action,” the opposition leader told the prime minister.
“We note with concern reports that your government intends to address this issue as part of broader changes to the taxation of trusts, which would impose additional costs and complexity on families and small business owners by forcing them to restructure their affairs.
“Delaying the repeal of this cruel tax in an attempt to wedge the Coalition is unconscionable.”
As part of the changes to negative gearing, the government grandfathered existing investment properties owned before 12 May. Rental losses on established homes bought after budget night can no longer be used to reduce tax on other income from July 2027.
However, the law would also apply to a person who inherited their partner’s share of a property after their death or as part of a divorce settlement, leading to the loophole being dubbed a “widow tax”.
The government released an exposure draft of a tranche of tax changes, including closing the loophole, earlier this month, with consultation open until this Friday after the sitting period ends.
Crossbenchers last week slammed the NDIS changes, saying they were going “too far, too fast” and would be “devastating to the lives of disabled people and their families”.
The government’s proposal will tighten the NDIS eligibility criteria and subject all participants to independent functional assessments from 2028.
It will also give the NDIS minister, Mark Butler, the power to reduce funding categories for individuals by up to 99%. The government intends to apply a 50% reduction in individual participant budgets for social, civic and community participation once the bill passes.
Without the interventions, the government estimates the $52bn-a-year scheme will have more than doubled in cost in a decade’s time.
AI outlook — possibilities, not facts
Consultation on the tax changes exposure draft will close this Friday.
Very likely · Within days
Alberta's separatist movement, fueled by economic grievances and a sense of underrepresentation, is set to face a referendum on October 19, with up to 30% of the population reportedly supporting independence, amidst warnings of Brexit-like turmoil and accusations of US influence.

Liberal frontbencher Andrew Hastie maintained a notable silence during federal parliament question time this week while facing political threats from Pauline Hanson's One Nation in Western Australia and pushing for a new AI committee.
The Australian Capital Territory (ACT) will implement a gun buyback scheme, similar to NSW's, as part of a national effort to strengthen gun laws post-Bondi Beach terrorist attack. The Commonwealth will fund 75% of buyback and 100% of destruction costs.

The Plymouth Brethren Christian Church has denied allegations that it paid far-right influencers to target Anthony Albanese. The church also rejected claims it coordinated hundreds of volunteers to support Liberal candidates during the 2025 election campaign.
Home Affairs Minister Tony Burke announced that a former ASIO agent, 'Marcus,' can testify at the Bondi royal commission remotely, as his evidence is now declassified. The agent, currently living abroad, seeks Australian resettlement due to safety concerns.
Former NSW Liberal minister David Elliott announced plans for legal action against individuals he claims slandered him, following ICAC testimony regarding alleged political interference by property developer Jean Nassif.