
In a phone call with the US president, the Turkish president said his country would support peace efforts and expressed hope for new US negotiations with Iran.
AI-generated summary
A framework agreement between the US and Iran on a ceasefire and opening of the Strait of Hormuz agreed in June has effectively failed after a 60-day period without progress.
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan called on US President Donald Trump in a phone call to continue diplomatic efforts in the Iran war. In the conversation, Erdoğan underlined the importance of diplomacy and expressed the hope that negotiations with Iran would continue soon, the presidential office in Ankara said. Turkey will continue to support these peace efforts.
A framework agreement between Iran and the US agreed in mid-June was intended to bring about a ceasefire, a reopening of the Strait of Hormuz and a long-term peace solution. It provided a 60-day deadline to clarify particularly controversial issues such as how to deal with Iran's nuclear program. That deadline has now passed, but no significant progress has been made at the diplomatic level. Both parties had already violated the agreed ceasefire and other points of the agreement in recent weeks.
Iran is calling for the implementation of the framework agreement with the USA signed in mid-June to open the Strait of Hormuz. Parliament Speaker Mohammed Baghar Ghalibaf told a parliamentary session that the strait, which is important for global energy trade, would remain closed as long as the US did not adhere to its obligations under the agreement.
Meanwhile, US President Donald Trump published a map of the Strait of Hormuz in the Persian Gulf on his Truth Social platform. It was headed “New U.S. Territory.” A few days ago, the Republican said he wanted to declare the strait US territory after the end of the Iran war.
The Saudi Arabian state oil company Saudi Aramco is again loading crude oil in the Strait of Hormuz after a week-long interruption. According to shipping data and industry insiders, more tankers are waiting to be processed.
Following the recent escalation in the Yemen conflict, the UN human rights office is calling on government troops and rebels to immediately end all attacks on each other. “I urge all parties to immediately stop any actions that risk plunging Yemen back into full-scale conflict,” said UN High Commissioner Volker Türk.
US President Donald Trump says he does not expect Iran to agree to an agreement acceptable to the US. "They're not going to make the kind of deal that I think is necessary," Trump told reporters in the Oval Office. “We are here for one reason: Iran must not have nuclear weapons,” Trump continued.
According to President Donald Trump, the USA is not seeking an extension of the ceasefire agreement with Iran. Trump answered no to a question from a reporter. Today, Monday, would have been the deadline by which Iran and the USA should have reached a final peace agreement in accordance with a memorandum of understanding signed in June.
US President Donald Trump has increased the pressure on Oman with a sharp threat. “If Oman gets in our way, we will bomb them into the ground,” Trump told Fox News.
Oil prices on Monday maintained their higher levels from the previous week following recent attacks on tankers in the Middle East. North Sea Brent oil cost $88.55 per barrel (159 liters), US light oil WTI fell slightly by 14 cents to $82.26.
AI outlook — possibilities, not facts
No extension of the ceasefire agreement between the USA and Iran.
Very likely · Within days
Bundesfinanzminister Lars Klingbeil und fünf europäische Amtskollegen fordern eine EU-weite Übergewinnsteuer für Energiekonzerne. Das Thema soll beim Treffen der EU-Finanzminister Mitte September in Irland diskutiert werden, um auf hohe Energiepreise zu reagieren.

Die FDP fordert zur Senkung der Gaspreise und Sicherung der Versorgung eine Ausweitung der heimischen Gasförderung. Generalsekretär Martin Hagen plädiert dabei auch für den Einsatz weiterentwickelter Fracking-Verfahren und eine Senkung der staatlichen Abgaben.

Der Deutsche Städtetag plädiert für eine Vollversicherung in der Pflege, um Senioren vor Sozialhilfeabhängigkeit zu schützen und Kommunen finanziell zu entlasten. Präsident Burkhard Jung schlägt zudem einen Deckel für Eigenanteile bei Heimplätzen vor.

Juristen des Bundestages bewerten das Heizungsgesetz der Bundesregierung weiterhin als potenziell verfassungswidrig. Trotz vorgenommener Nachbesserungen sehen die Experten ein Risiko für ein Scheitern des Gesetzes vor dem Bundesverfassungsgericht.
Der CDU-Kommunalpolitiker Bernd Prange aus Sachsen-Anhalt hat öffentlich zur Wahl der AfD aufgerufen und die Partei mit 10.000 Euro unterstützt. Er kritisiert den Kurs der Union scharf und provoziert aktiv ein Parteiausschlussverfahren.
Annalena Baerbock steht kurz vor Ende ihrer Amtszeit als UN-Generalversammlungspräsidentin unter Druck. USA und Russland kritisieren ihr transparentes Auswahlverfahren für den nächsten UN-Generalsekretär als Kompetenzüberschreitung.