
Teenager among victims as road fatalities more than double compared to same period last year
AI-generated summary
A teenager is among five people who died in road crashes in Northern Ireland at the weekend. The 16-year-old from County Tipperary was involved in a two vehicle collision on the Belfast Road, near Nutts Corner before 08:00 BST on Sunday. The driver of the other vehicle has been arrested on suspicion of a number of motoring offences. In Omagh, Patrick Deery, 61, died at the scene after a single vehicle road traffic collision involving a motorcycle happened before 11:00 BST on the Clanabogan Road on Sunday. Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI) statistics show there have been 29 road fatalities up to 26 April this year. This is more than twice the number for the same period in 2025 when 14 fatalities were recorded. The driver of the Passat sustained minor injuries and two other passengers, including a 10-year child, are in hospital. On Saturday, two people were killed following a road crash at Upper Ballinderry in County Antrim and another person died after a single-vehicle crash in Caledon, County Tyrone. In a statement, Jonathan Wilson from the PSNI's Road Policing Unit, said the number of deaths on this year so far "are a stark reminder of the very real dangers that exist on our roads". "We can and must do more to reduce serious and fatal collisions on our roads," he said. "To all drivers, we continue to appeal to you to remember the fatal five: slow down, even within the speed limit, never drink or drug drive, stay off your phone, wear your seat belt and don't be distracted." The Infrastructure Minister Liz Kimmins sent her "condolences" and "deepest sympathies" to the families of those who died. She said it is "unimaginable, the impact that will have and the effect that will have on all of those families and indeed their communities who have got that devastating news over the weekend". "Every single death on our roads is one too many and I think the scale of loss over the last few days is just horrendous."

A six-year-old girl has died in hospital following a water-related incident off Shoreham, West Sussex. She is the fourth member of her London-based family to perish, after her parents and 14-year-old sister died at the scene on Tuesday.

A collection of 688 handwritten notes by Mahatma Gandhi, preserved by the family of associate Anand T Hingorani, sold for $1.69m at a Saffronart auction in Mumbai. The sale sets a record for the highest price paid for an Indian historical document.

Prince Laurent of Belgium has legally recognized 26-year-old Clément Vandenkerckhove as his son. The former car salesman, born from a relationship with singer Wendy Van Wanten, will hold the title of prince but remains excluded from the royal succession and public funding.

Charlie, a tabby cat missing since 2016, has been found and reunited with her owners Lucy and Hannah Robertson in Caerphilly county, Wales, after 10 years.

Shahin Ahmed, father of seven-year-old Musa, recounts his helplessness during a West Mersea beach tragedy on July 22, where Musa, his teenage cousin, and her mother died after being swept by a strong tide. Ahmed now plans to honor his son's memory by creating a water safety program.

Trains between London and Stansted Airport, along with other routes, have been halted due to multiple trackside fires, including a large grass fire near Waltham Abbey. Greater Anglia and National Rail confirmed disruptions, advising passengers to Stansted Airport to use an alternative route via Cambridge from London Kings Cross at no extra cost.