
AI-generated summary
Jason Arday resigned from Cambridge amid plagiarism allegations.
Jason Arday, the former University of Cambridge professor who resigned amid allegations of plagiarism, was found dead on Friday. Without naming him directly, the Metropolitan Police said he was found "unresponsive" in Battersea, south London, and pronounced dead at the scene. "At this time his death is being treated as unexpected, but is not believed to be suspicious," a spokesperson said. "His next-of-kin have been informed and are being supported by officers."
Arday, a professor of sociology of education at Cambridge, one of the world's top universities, resigned just over a week ago amid mounting allegations that he plagiarized parts of his PhD thesis and overstated his personal achievements. He had denied wrongdoing, saying in a resignation letter last week that he did not accept "the narratives that have surrounded me."
Questions mounted over thesis and fundraising claims
British newspapers and commentators have seized on the allegations, arguing that he gained an unfair advantage through diversity, equality and inclusion (DEI) policies. Scrutiny of Arday's credentials intensified last month after criticism from former Cambridge researcher Nathan Cofnas. The Times of London later reported similarities between passages in Arday's 2015 PhD thesis and an earlier paper by another researcher. Cambridge initially stood by Arday, saying that the plagiarism allegations had been investigated and cleared by Liverpool John Moores University, which awarded Arday's doctorate. But last week, Cambridge launched an investigation following "new information about Professor Arday's qualifications and honorary appointments."
British media also questioned Arday's claims of having raised £5.5 million (€6.4 million, $7.4 million) for charity through endurance challenges. Arday told The Guardian the funds were raised collectively over two decades.
Supporters reject claims, cite racial bias
Supporters, including over two dozen academics and politicians, characterized the plagiarism allegations as a "smear campaign" designed to discredit Arday and other Black people in influential positions. In his resignation letter, Arday said that "the relentless accusations, speculation and public commentary have taken a profound toll on me and on those I love."
His family issued a statement denouncing the "campaign of sustained abuse" Arday had faced since he took the role at Cambridge University more than three years ago. "The campaign of misinformation was too much for Jason, who was a gentle man and who always wanted to see the best in everyone," Arday's family said. "We won't comment further at this point beyond asking the press to leave us alone now, and to stop the campaign of harassment which has been waged against Jason and his family for too long," the statement added.
Cambridge's Vice-Chancellor Professor Deborah Prentice said, "We are desperately saddened to hear this tragic news. Our heartfelt sympathies go to Jason Arday's family and friends at this incredibly difficult time."
Edited by: Rob Turner and Karl Sexton
AI outlook — possibilities, not facts
Increased scrutiny of academic integrity policies at top universities
Likely · Within weeks

The trial of Lindsay Clancy, accused of killing her three children in 2023, nears its conclusion. Jurors must determine if she is guilty of murder or not criminally responsible due to postpartum psychosis, a central point of contention between defense and prosecution experts.
A 15-year-old boy has been charged with wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm after a stabbing in Terrigal, NSW. The victim, also 15, remains in critical condition at Gosford Hospital following the incident on Painters Lane.

The Metropolitan Police investigation into whether Lord Peter Mandelson shared confidential information with Jeffrey Epstein is stalling as US authorities have not yet provided access to critical unredacted files, despite formal requests for mutual legal assistance.

Five teenagers died in a wrong-way motorway crash in County Kildare, Ireland, while allegedly filming reckless driving for social media. The incident has triggered national debate over police pursuit policies, youth social services, and the role of platforms like TikTok.

Karmelo Anthony, 19, is seeking a retrial for the 35-year sentence he received for the fatal stabbing of 17-year-old Austin Metcalf at a track meet. Defense attorneys argue Anthony was discouraged from testifying due to fears over damaging evidence.

An 18-year-old suspect is in custody after a sword attack at Brinellskola in Fagersta, Sweden, left one person dead and multiple others wounded. The school had recently reopened for the academic year.