A 15-year-old teenager admitted to having thrown a cigarette butt at the start of the fire which cost the lives of two firefighters in July near Bordeaux airport.
A 15-year-old teenager was indicted for involuntary destruction after admitting to having thrown a cigarette butt at the origin of the fire which killed two firefighters in July near Bordeaux airport.
AI-generated summary
Two firefighters lost their lives on July 21 trapped by flames near Bordeaux airport.
A minor was indicted as part of the investigation into the origin of the fire which caused the death of two firefighters in July near Bordeaux airport, in Mérignac (Gironde), according to a source close to the case cited by AFP. The teenager admitted to having thrown a cigarette butt at the place where the fire started, the prosecution said on Friday. The 15-year-old was indicted for “unintentional destruction by fire (...) causing the death of others,” said the public prosecutor in Bordeaux, Renaud Gaudeul, in a press release.
Arrested and placed in police custody on Tuesday, two brothers, occupants of a vehicle which had been seen in the “immediate vicinity” of the fire, admitted their presence on July 21 at that location, according to the magistrate. The older brother, an adult, is “at this stage out of the blame”, affirmed the prosecutor, specifying that the minor admitted to having “smoked a cigarette, subsequently thrown away”, and estimated “that he could be at the origin of the disaster, without certainty”. The teenager was placed in a closed educational center, “following his first appearance interrogation,” added Renaud Gaudeul.
On July 21, the truck where the two firefighters were located was “trapped” by the flames according to the director of the Departmental Fire and Rescue Service (Sdis) of Gironde. Wilfried Schmitter and Anthony Berthôme, two professional fire brigade warrant officers aged 34, were cited last week in the Order of the Nation, a title of recognition created in 1917 to reward “exceptional services or acts of dedication accomplished for France at the risk of one's life, in a civil or military capacity”.
In France, the year 2026, marked by repeated heat waves favored by climate change, is already breaking the record for burned areas in twenty years of satellite measurements, according to the European fire monitoring system (Effis), which lists nearly 100,000 hectares already burned. The Gironde megafire, which broke out the day after the death of the two firefighters at Bordeaux airport, covered more than 40,000 hectares alone, according to authorities' estimates. Friday, while a large majority of the metropolitan area was on heatwave orange alert, firefighters were still fighting a major fire in the neighboring department of Landes which has already covered 1,100 hectares since Thursday.

Alisa Goods, 63 ans, disparue à Las Vegas le 8 août, a été retrouvée morte près de l'aéroport Harry Reid. Sa famille avait reçu des messages suspects réclamant de l'argent via Bitcoin après sa disparition, que la police locale n'avait initialement pas jugée suspecte.

Le parquet de Paris a ouvert une enquête pour cyberharcèlement et menaces de mort contre Gisèle Journo, agente d'influenceurs, après la diffusion de captures d'écran de ses réseaux sociaux liées au conflit à Gaza, provoquant une polémique politique.
Le suspect du meurtre de l'influenceuse Sonia Bellina, retrouvée morte et partiellement calcinée dans le Gard en août 2026, a été mis en examen et incarcéré. L'homme de 32 ans, au passé judiciaire chargé, a reconnu une relation tarifée avec la victime.
La Gendarmerie royale du Canada a annoncé l'arrestation à Montréal d'un adolescent proche de la mouvance néonazie qui planifiait une attaque contre une école, suite à un signalement du FBI.
Un homme de 32 ans, déjà condamné pour violences conjugales et porteur d'un bracelet anti-rapprochement, a été mis en examen pour l'assassinat de l'influenceuse Sonia Bellina, dont le corps a été retrouvé brûlé à Saint-Gilles.
Des parents d'élèves de centres de loisirs parisiens sont consternés après avoir appris qu'un animateur a été placé en garde à vue pour des faits suspectés d'agression sexuelle sur mineur lors de la sieste.