
Israeli Defense Minister Israel Katz warns Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan against 'dangerous adventures in Syria' following airstrikes.
Israeli Defense Minister Israel Katz warned Turkish President Erdogan against actions in Syria after Israeli airstrikes targeted the Abu al-Duhar air base over alleged Turkish deployment plans, which Ankara denied.
AI-generated summary
Israel has repeatedly carried out airstrikes in Syria's southwest since Bashar Assad was toppled in 2024. Turkey has maintained a military presence in northern and eastern Syria for years.
Israeli Defense Minister Israel Katz said Thursday that Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan was "dragging Turkey into dangerous adventures in Syria."
The comments came after Israel carried out airstrikes on Syria's Abu al-Duhar air base earlier this week, claiming Turkish troops were about to deploy there.
"Israel will not allow any entity to threaten its security," Katz wrote on X.
Responding later on Thursday, Turkey's Defense Ministry denied that it had any military presence at the Syrian air base and vowed to continue to support Syria's efforts to develop its own infrastructure and military capability.
The ministry also criticized Israel's actions, saying the strikes were "unacceptable," "reckless" and threatened regional peace and stability.
"In this context, our efforts and contributions to protect Syria's sovereignty and territorial integrity, and help it establish a stable and secure environment, will continue resolutely," a ministry spokesman said.
Israel unease over Turkey's role
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Israel had warned Syria not to allow a Turkish presence at the air base.
"Our message was very clear. Don't. I guess they didn't quite understand the message," Netanyahu said on Wednesday.
Meanwhile, Syrian Foreign Minister Asaad al-Shaibani said Israel had no legitimate justification for the bombing because he had made clear before the attack that there were no plans for Turkish forces to deploy.
"There was no intention to establish a Turkish base there, nor to establish a permanent Turkish military presence or deploy Turkish forces at the site," Al-Shaibani said in an interview with US outlet Axios on Wednesday.
He added that the largely empty base was not yet operational and was being restored so that it could be used by the Syrian Air Force.
He acknowledged that Turkish military officers had visited the site in the days before Israel's strike, but stressed it was for "ongoing military cooperation in the areas of training and the exchange of expertise."
Heightened tensions between Turkey and Israel
Israel's strikes in Syria this week come at a time of heightened tensions between Turkey and Israel.
Last year, the two countries set up a line of communication to avoid any incidents in Syria, where both of their militaries are active.
Israel has repeatedly carried out airstrikes in Syria's southwest since former leader Bashar Assad was toppled in 2024, citing concerns over the militant background of the country's new rulers.
Turkey, meanwhile, has maintained a military presence in northern and eastern Syria for years and has become one of Syrian President Ahmed al-Sharaa's main allies. Ankara accuses Israel of trying to destabilize the country and undermine its new administration.
Turkey and Israel are also at odds over the war in Gaza.
Syrian Foreign Minister Al-Shaibani said Syria remained open to negotiations with Israel on deescalation. But he said any future deal must address the security concerns on both sides and respect Syrian sovereignty.

At least 14 people, including three women, were killed in a military airstrike on a Buddhist monastery in Myanmar's Sagaing region. The attack targeted civilians attending a meditation retreat, according to local witnesses and opposition groups.

Two people died when a German-registered Diamond HK36 Super Dimona motor glider crashed in Croatia's Velebit mountains. The aircraft was traveling from the Czech Republic to Zadar when it went down during poor weather conditions.
A double-tap Russian drone strike on a shopping mall in Kryvyi Rih, Ukraine, killed 16 people and wounded over 130. President Zelensky condemned the attack as a terrorist act and vowed retaliation, while the EU announced new sanctions against Russia.

German Foreign Minister Johann Wadephul arrived in Kyiv to reaffirm support for Ukraine as Russia intensifies drone and missile strikes on civilian infrastructure ahead of Ukraine's 35th Independence Day.

Iranian President Pezeshkian claims victory in the U.S.-Iran conflict. Meanwhile, French and Saudi leaders plan to discuss bypassing the closed Strait of Hormuz, and U.S. envoy Tom Barrack faces backlash for comments contradicting U.S. policy on the Golan Heights.

Six-year-old Saja el-Khawas has died in hospital after a drowning incident in Shoreham, Sussex, that claimed the lives of her parents and 14-year-old sister. Police are treating the incident as a tragic accident with no third-party involvement.