Ambassador Hillel Newman signals potential for compensation following the IDF's decision to clear soldiers of criminal liability in the 2024 Gaza strike.
AI-generated summary
Zomi Frankcom was killed in an April 2024 strike in Gaza while working for World Central Kitchen. An Australian investigation led by Mark Binskin identified serious procedural failures by the IDF.
Israel's ambassador to Australia has suggested reparations could be available for the family of Australian aid worker Zomi Frankcom.
This week the Israel Defense Forces cleared soldiers of criminal liability for their involvement in the April 2024 strike in Gaza that killed Ms Frankcom and six of her World Central Kitchen colleagues.
The move has outraged the Australian government, which slammed the findings and demanded an apology for Ms Frankcom's family.
Ambassador Hillel Newman, who has defiantly defended the IDF probe, was hauled into a meeting with Foreign Minister Penny Wong at Parliament House on Thursday.
On Friday Mr Newman again declined to apologise but expressed sorrow for the family and left the door open to reparations.
"Reparations is an issue that we can check and will be checked by Israel. It's not my decision here in Australia," Mr Newman told Radio National.
"We need a specific request and then it's investigated according to the rules of reparations in such cases.
"The issue of sorrow and grief of the family has been expressed personally and generally, very categorically."
On Thursday Prime Minister Anthony Albanese said further investigation of the killings was "one of the options" that should be considered, but would not reveal the Australian government's next moves.
"We will press the Israeli government," he told the ABC's 7.30.
"The direction, we have said today, we'll discuss with Ms Frankcom's family.
"They deserve to be consulted on these issues, and we'll do that and then we'll make an announcement in coming days."
Mr Newman said Israel was open to possible legal avenues for further investigation.
In 2024 Senator Wong appointed Air Chief Marshal Mark Binskin to investigate Israel's response to the strikes.
His report found that the killings were a result of serious failures to follow IDF procedures and errors in decision-making. The report was in line with the IDF's finding that the incident was a "grave mistake".
The report also called for reparations and an apology from the Israeli government.
Israel did not grant Air Chief Marshal Binskin access to the audio from the drone attack in question.
On Thursday Mr Albanese said there needed to be a "far more transparent and clear explanation" from the Israeli government about what had occurred and called for the audio to be released.
"That's consistent with transparency, which is something we have called for from day one," he said.
Mr Newman said he was not privy to intelligence regarding the recording and would not commit to its release.
"I don't think that Australia shares all its intelligence aspects with other nations, even if they're friendly and they're like-minded," he said.
"That is a question which is up to security agencies."
Mr Newman also said Israel was considering inviting Air Chief Marshal Binskin back to the country for further talks.
The Frankcom family has expressed deep disappointment over the decision to clear the soldiers involved in the strike.
They also said it was an insult to Ms Frankcom's memory for the findings to be announced on World Humanitarian Day.
The prime minister also expressed frustration with the timing of the report's release.
"It's certainly not good enough that, on World Humanitarian Day, of all days, they release this so-called report that essentially says, 'Yes, we're responsible, but nothing to see here,'" Mr Albanese said.
Mr Newman said he and the Israeli government had been under pressure to release the findings.
"It could be that the timing was not good," he said.
The IDF investigation found that there were "serious failures" in the strike, but they did not raise "reasonable suspicion of criminal misconduct".
The findings released by Israel on Wednesday also looked into four other high-profile civilian deaths in Gaza.
Israel has opened criminal investigations into two of the cases, including the killing of five-year-old Hind Rajab in Gaza in January 2025.
AI outlook — possibilities, not facts
Australian government to announce next steps after consulting Frankcom family.
Likely · Within days
Próspera, a libertarian startup city and special economic zone on Honduras's Roatán island backed by US tech elites, is facing fierce local opposition and legal battles over sovereignty and deregulation.
Russian ballistic missile strikes on Kyiv killed at least 13 people and injured over 30, damaging residential blocks and critical infrastructure. The attack also saw drones enter Romanian and Moldovan airspace amid ongoing conflict.
More than 100 people died and others remain missing after a low-tech artisanal gold mine collapsed in the village of Zamboye, Central African Republic, triggering an official investigation.
NSW Premier Chris Minns retracted an announcement in parliament that missing 18-year-old hiker Lily Hooper had been found alive after a tragic miscommunication during the search in Nattai National Park revealed she had died.
Three ships were struck by projectiles in the Strait of Hormuz, causing two deaths. Amid a stalled ceasefire and US-Iran tensions, oil prices hit a three-week high as shipping traffic through the vital waterway drops by 90 per cent.
The US has condemned Israeli airstrikes on Syria's Abu al-Duhur air base, calling it an unnecessary escalation. The incident highlights growing diplomatic friction between the Netanyahu administration and the US government regarding the new leadership in Damascus.