
Two prosecutors face action for leaving trial in protest of alleged unfair proceedings
South Korea's Justice Minister Jung Sung-ho has requested disciplinary action against two prosecutors who walked out of a high-profile perjury trial in 2025, protesting alleged unfair court proceedings related to the case of former Gyeonggi Province Vice Governor Lee Hwa-young.
AI-generated summary
The incident stems from a perjury trial involving Lee Hwa-young, who alleged prosecutors used coercive tactics.
SEOUL, Aug. 14 (Yonhap) -- Justice Minister Jung Sung-ho has requested disciplinary action against two prosecutors who stormed out of a high-profile perjury trial in protest of allegedly unfair court proceedings last year, the ministry said Friday. The move follows an internal inspection into four prosecutors of the Suwon District Prosecutors Office who abruptly left a pretrial hearing after the court rejected their request to call witnesses in November 2025. Before exiting, the team filed a motion to disqualify the bench over alleged unfair proceedings. Two of the prosecutors have since resigned and received ministerial warnings, while disciplinary proceedings will continue for the remaining two, the ministry said. The walkout occurred during the trial of Lee Hwa-young, a former vice governor of Gyeonggi Province. Lee was sentenced to four months in prison for giving false testimony to parliament in 2024 that prosecutors offered him and a businessman food and alcohol during interrogations. Lee claimed the prosecutors used the treatment to coerce false statements incriminating current President Lee Jae Myung, who was Gyeonggi governor at the time of an alleged 2019 illegal remittance to North Korea. Following the courtroom walkout, President Lee ordered a strict investigation into the prosecutors. While an inspection committee of the Supreme Prosecutors Office concluded in April that disciplinary action would be difficult, the justice ministry moved forward with its own request based on internal findings. The final sanctions will be determined by the ministry's disciplinary committee, chaired by Jung.
AI outlook — possibilities, not facts
Disciplinary committee will impose formal warnings or temporary suspensions on the remaining prosecutors.
Likely · Within weeks

인도네시아 발리에서 힌두교 설날인 '녀피' 전통을 비하하고 통행금지 규정을 위반한 영상을 소셜미디어에 올린 26세 스위스인 남성이 덴파사르 지방법원으로부터 징역 1년을 선고받았다.

여름철 제주 해변에서 인기를 끄는 비어업인의 '해루질'과 관련해, 최근 수산자원관리법 개정으로 제주 앞바다의 포획·채취 기준에 변화가 예고됐다.

조현준 효성그룹 회장이 조현문 전 부사장의 강요미수 혐의 재판에 증인으로 출석해 동생의 처벌을 원한다고 밝혔다. 2014년 경영권 분쟁 이후 첫 법정 대면으로, 조 회장은 선친의 뜻에 따라 고소·고발을 진행했다고 증언했다.

권창영 2차 종합 특별검사팀이 대통령실 관저 예산 전용 의혹과 관련해 김완섭 전 환경부 장관을 기소유예 처분했다. 특검은 김 전 장관이 당시 직업 공무원으로서 통상적인 업무를 수행했을 뿐 적극적인 가담은 확인되지 않았다고 판단했다.

South Korea's National Police Agency is upgrading its electronic system to require supervisor approval for closing missing person cases, following alleged mishandling in Jeju.

Former Prosecutor General Shim Woo-jung indicted without detention for alleged role in former President Yoon Suk Yeol's 2024 martial law bid, accused of abusing authority and drafting trial jurisdiction documents under martial law.