NASA's Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter captures before-and-after images of the 18-meter crater left by a discarded SpaceX Falcon 9 upper stage.
NASA has released images from the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter showing an 18-meter crater on the Moon created when a discarded SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket stage struck the lunar surface at 5,400 mph on August 5.
AI-generated summary
A discarded SpaceX Falcon 9 upper stage struck the Moon on August 5 after drifting in space for more than a year following a January 2025 launch.
NASA has released images showing a crater blasted into the Moon by a discarded SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket stage that struck the lunar surface at around 5,400 mph (8,700 kph) earlier this month.
The US space agency published an animated before-and-after comparison on Tuesday, using images captured by its Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter (LRO) that show the previously undisturbed surface and a dark new impact scar.
NASA said the crater measures roughly 18 meters (60 ft) across and less than 3 meters (10 ft) deep.
The images also reveal bright and dark rays spreading outward from the crater. NASA said the darker streaks consist of weathered lunar dust and rocks that were blasted out from the upper 1.5 ft (0.46 m) of the lunar surface by the impact. The material had been altered over time by solar wind, cosmic rays, and micrometeorite strikes. Brighter debris near the crater rim came from deeper underground.
The 4-ton upper stage struck the Moon on August 5 after drifting through space for more than a year. The Falcon 9 launched in January 2025 carrying the US Blue Ghost and Japanese Resilience lunar landers. Its reusable first-stage booster returned to Earth, while the second stage remained in space.
SpaceX said the stage had initially been placed on a trajectory considered safe under existing rules. A combination of solar activity and gravitational forces later sent it toward the lunar surface.
Although the Moon is regularly struck by natural meteoroids, collisions involving man-made objects are much less common. NASA deliberately crashed rocket stages into the lunar surface during the Apollo era to collect seismic data.
Experts have warned that unplanned impacts could become a greater concern as human activity on and around the Moon increases. UK aerospace engineer Dean Sladen told Space.com last week that uncontrolled rocket stages could become a “tangible operational risk” as space agencies and private companies build permanent lunar infrastructure.

US President Donald Trump signed a memorandum directing the US to increase annual space launches to 1,000 by 2030 and explore commercial missions to Mars.

Заключительный этап сведения Международной космической станции с орбиты проведут США с помощью корабля USDV, сообщил командир отряда космонавтов «Роскосмоса» Олег Кононенко. При этом будут задействованы два российских корабля «Прогресс».
A discarded SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket stage is believed to have crashed into the Moon after drifting in space for over a year, with probes expected to photograph the impact site for scientific data.

Ракету "Союз-2.1а" с пилотируемым кораблем "Союз МС-29", на котором полетят два россиянина и один американец, установили на стартовый стол космодрома Байконур. Запуск запланирован на 14 июля.

США намерены начать строительство лунной базы в 2027 году. К 2030-м годам база будет напоминать МКС, с экипажами, находящимися там длительное время для подготовки к полетам на Марс.

NASA Director Jared Isaacman stated that China is likely to land astronauts on the Moon before the United States. He emphasized the current "space race" and China's rapid progress, while expressing confidence in the US's eventual return and establishment of a lunar base.