
Pyongyang threatens to 'counterattack thoroughly' following Tokyo's proposed record military spending
North Korea condemned Japan's record-high defense budget proposal for the next fiscal year, calling it preparation for a war of aggression and threatening a thorough counterattack.
AI-generated summary
Japan's defense ministry set its budget request for the next fiscal year at a record 8.9 trillion yen.
SEOUL, Aug. 22 (Yonhap) -- North Korea on Saturday condemned Japan's plan to set a record-high defense budget for next year, calling it a move to prepare for a "war of aggression" and threatening to "counterattack thoroughly" with united strength.
The condemnation came as Japan's defense ministry on Wednesday set its budget request for the next fiscal year at a record 8.9 trillion yen (US$60 billion), with the final budget to rise to around 10 trillion yen when finalized at the end of the year, according to foreign media reports.
"The expansion of the war budget is a dangerous move that brings new turmoil to the region and the world," the North's Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) quoted a commentary carried by the Rodong Sinmun, the most widely read newspaper in the country, as saying.
"There can be no doubt that the massive increase in military spending will lead to an arms buildup aimed at completing preparations for a war of aggression," it said, claiming that the international community "will never tolerate the military buildup of the descendants of a war-criminal state and will thoroughly counter it with united strength."
The report also criticized Japan for introducing U.S.-made Tomahawk missiles while its national debt stood at a record 1,343 trillion yen at the end of last year.
"It is crystal clear that the purpose of squandering massive amounts of taxpayers' money is by no means to build a 'peaceful state,'" the KCNA said. "It is foolish to think that Japan can conceal its vicious militaristic nature of aggression and war under the guise of 'defense' and 'self-defense.'"

The U.S. State Department authorized a potential $125 million Foreign Military Sale to South Korea of AIM-9X air-to-air missiles and related equipment to enhance its air defense capabilities.

독일 베를린 근교 숲에서 러시아 정보당국이 암살 공작을 위해 숨겨둔 것으로 추정되는 권총 2자루가 발견됐다. 독일 국내정보기관은 무기 은닉시설을 발견하고, 1년간 감시 결과 시설 설치 쪽이 감지된 것으로 보인다.

South Korea and the United States are set to conclude their Ulchi Freedom Shield military exercise early after U.S. President Donald Trump ordered a significant reduction, scaling down drills in a conciliatory gesture toward North Korea.

트럼프 미국 대통령의 지시에 따라 한미 연합 '을지 자유의 방패'(UFS) 연습이 21일 조기 종료된다. 11일에서 5일로 기간이 단축되고 2부 반격 연습이 생략되며, 야외기동훈련과 쌍룡훈련도 축소 또는 취소됐다.
미 공군의 차세대 전자전기 EA-37B '컴퍼스 콜'이 러시아 역외영토 칼리닌그라드주와 인접한 폴란드 영공에서 약 2시간 동안 비행한 사실이 포착됐다.
미 공군의 차세대 전자전기 EA-37B '컴퍼스 콜'이 러시아 역외영토 칼리닌그라드주 접경 폴란드 영공에서 나토 자산들과 함께 통상적인 방어 훈련의 일환으로 비행한 사실이 포착됐다.