Fifth Incident of Unrest in Two Weeks Linked to Death of 58-Year-Old Man
NT Police used pepper spray to disperse a group of armed residents in Wadeye after violence erupted, the fifth incident in two weeks linked to the non-suspicious death of a 58-year-old man.
AI-generated summary
Recent unrest in Wadeye linked to a non-suspicious death.
Northern Territory Police say they were forced to use pepper spray after violence erupted between officers and residents in the remote Top End community of Wadeye yesterday. In a statement, a spokesperson for the force alleged the officers were attacked by a large group of men armed with arrows, rocks, metal bars and window louvres at about 5.30pm. The disturbance is the fifth reported incidence of unrest in less than a fortnight, despite additional police having been deployed to the area to de-escalate tensions in the community. The spokesperson said police spotted the group moving through bushland surrounding the town before they began throwing rocks, window louvres and metal bars at the officers, with one person armed with a compound bow allegedly firing an arrow which struck a police car. They said the officers used pepper spray to disperse the group after repeated attempts to warn them "that force may be used if they continued to advance" were ignored. "The NTPF can confirm that non-lethal tactical options were used, including OC spray," a police spokesperson said in response to the ABC's questions. Superintendent Virginia Read described the incident in a statement as "an appalling display of violence". "The fact that people continued to advance on police despite repeated directions to disperse demonstrates an alarming disregard for the safety of police, residents and the wider community," she said. Superintendent Read said there was "no justification" for the violence and while no police were injured, the consequences could have been deadly. "An arrow, rock or piece of metal directed at another person or a moving vehicle has the potential to cause catastrophic injury or death," she said. "Those choosing to participate in this violence need to understand the seriousness of their actions. "Our officers are in Wadeye to protect the community and prevent further violence, and they should not be subjected to deliberate and potentially deadly attacks while carrying out that duty." Unrest linked to death of 58yo man Police have previously said the recent spate of unrest was linked to the death of a man on August 1, which they have since found not to be suspicious. They said the 58-year-old was brought unresponsive to the town's clinic by family members and was unable to be revived. In the days following the death, officers also responded to several outbursts of violence including one confrontation on August 5 involving up to 40 people, some armed with axes, crossbows, window louvres, hammers and other weapons. A police vehicle was also struck with a metal bar and a car belonging to a community member was set on fire. Then during another flare-up on August 9, a police car was damaged by rocks after officers tried to break up violence between a group of about 50 people. No arrests have been made in relation to yesterday's unrest but police said they were investigating and any criminal behaviour would result in charges.
AI outlook — possibilities, not facts
Increased Police Presence in Wadeye
Likely · Within days
Former world boxing champion Zolani Tete, 38, was shot dead by two masked gunmen outside his home in Mdantsane, South Africa. A 27-year-old woman accompanying him was also wounded in the attack. Authorities have launched an investigation into the motive.
Nigerian authorities are investigating two fraudulent agencies, the PFIPC and NBDMNSPO, which operated from government buildings using forged documents. Prince Adeniyi Adeyemi Matthew, the alleged mastermind behind the PFIPC, has been arrested.
Melbourne father Khaled Malas is missing after an alleged shooting in Wildwood on August 19. Police suspect he succumbed to chest injuries following a dispute over a $500,000 debt. Mohammed Aboueid, 56, has been charged with intentionally causing serious injury.
At her triple-murder trial in Massachusetts, former nurse Lindsay Clancy's defence argues she suffered from severe postpartum psychosis when she killed her three children in 2023.
A 15-year-old boy is in critical but stable condition after an alleged stabbing in Terrigal on the NSW Central Coast. Brisbane Water Police established a strike force and are seeking information regarding two groups of teenagers present during the incident.
A third woman involved in the alleged Sydney Swans sexual assault scandal has retained Slater and Gordon lawyers, with a potential civil lawsuit being explored as police investigations continue.