Outgoing Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt to join MAGA Inc. as Trump considers potential replacements including Margo Martin and Scott Jennings.
AI-generated summary
Karoline Leavitt is leaving her position at the end of the month to spend time with her family. She plans to join the super PAC MAGA Inc.
President Donald Trump insisted Friday that a lot of people are interested in taking over as White House Press Secretary, and noted that outgoing Karoline Leavitt made the job look “very glamorous.”
The president speculated about various people who could replace Leavitt, including longtime Trump staffer Margo Martin and CNN commentator Scott Jennings as he boarded Air Force One Friday for a campaign stop in South Carolina with Senator Darline Graham.
“I have never had so many job applications in my life,” Trump said. “They all want that job. They love that job.”
“She’s made that job very glamorous,” Trump added, referring to Leavitt.
Leavitt, 28, said she is leaving her job at the White House at the end of the month to spend more time with her family. She told reporters Friday she will join MAGA Inc., the super PAC that supports the president, and also become one of Trump’s top outside advisers.
Leavitt worked for MAGA Inc. before joining Trump’s 2024 presidential campaign team.
She said she would return to the super PAC in September for the Republican midterm convention. However, she did not elaborate on what her new role will be.
Trump was reportedly caught off-guard when Leavitt resigned earlier this month.
In a Truth Social post, the president announced Leavitt would leave to spend more time with her family. Leavitt has two young children, a two-year-old son and a three-month-old daughter.
The president is taking his time to name a replacement in part because of the suddenness of Leavitt’s resignation but also because she has a very close relationship to the president and her absence will be difficult to fill, a White House official previously told The Independent.
But that hasn’t stopped members of the media, and the president himself, from speculating about a new press secretary.
Katie Miller, wife of White House Deputy Chief of Staff Stephen Miller, has been floated as a possibility. Alina Habba, the president’s former personal lawyer, was suggested - but she shut down rumors in an X post. Anna Kelly, the deputy press secretary, is also a potential contender.
When asked about replacements Friday afternoon, Trump told reporters that he thought Jennings “is good” but also “Maybe Margo,” referring to Martin.
“What do you think of Margo? Maybe Margo,” Trump said.
It’s common for presidents to have more than one press secretary during their term because the job required round-the-clock focus and gets constant pushback from the public and members of the media.
During Trump’s first term, four people served as White House Press Secretary – Sean Spicer, Sarah Huckabee Sanders, Stephanie Grisham and Kayleigh McEnany.

Sinaloa Governor Ruben Rocha Moya has requested an indefinite leave of absence days after returning to office. Rocha faces US allegations of conspiring with the Sinaloa Cartel to traffic drugs, charges he denies, while facing pressure from President Claudia Sheinbaum.

Kazakhstan holds snap parliamentary elections to form a new 145-member unicameral legislature. Over 12 million voters are eligible to cast ballots in a process critics argue will further consolidate the power of President Kassym-Jomart Tokayev.
The Pentagon has terminated the editor-in-chief, publisher, and a reporter of the military newspaper Stars and Stripes. The move follows public criticism of potential censorship by editor Erik Slavin and ongoing tensions regarding the publication's editorial independence.

Kazakhstan holds snap parliamentary elections on August 23 to elect 145 members to the new unicameral Kurultai. The vote follows constitutional reforms intended to distance the government from the legacy of former President Nursultan Nazarbayev.

Iran's Supreme National Security Council head Mohsen Rezaei warned countries against joining US-led economic sanctions, labeling participants as enemies. The warning follows the UAE's decision to cut ties with Tehran and US plans for further economic pressure.

Iran's Supreme National Security Council secretary Mohsen Rezaei warned that any nation participating in US economic sanctions against Iran will face 'seismic' retaliation, as Egypt pushes for a return to diplomacy amid a stalled conflict and blocked Strait of Hormuz.