
Qatar has denied detaining three missing Iranian pilots whose jets were downed during the US-Israeli conflict with Iran, stating that only the remains of one pilot were recovered and offered to Tehran.
AI-generated summary
Iran launched strikes across the region following US-Israeli attacks in late February. Qatar downed two Iranian Sukhoi Su-24 bombers on March 2.
Qatar on Saturday denied that it was detaining Iranian pilots who went missing early in the US-Israeli war with Iran after their aircraft were downed.
"We categorically deny the claims circulating regarding the detention of Iranian pilots and are surprised by these misleading statements," Qatari foreign ministry spokesman Majed Al Ansari said on X.
He added that the remains of one of the pilots were found and that Qatar contacted Iran to coordinate a handover.
However, Tehran had not responded to the invitation, the spokesperson said.
Iran calls on Qatar to release downed pilots
Qatar's response comes after Iranian media published a statement by the head of the Committee for Missing Persons at the General Staff of the Iranian Armed Forces.
"Javad Salehi, Abdolmajid Dashtian, and Omran Behraveshian have been held by Qatari forces for six months," General Mohammad Bagherzadeh said in a letter.
Bagherzadeh also said that three Iranian pilots had been "captured alive" after their fighter jets crashed during a mission targeting a military base in Qatar shortly after the start of the Iran war.
In the letter, the general alleged that Qatar had not allowed the pilots to contact or meet with families or Iranian officials handling their cases.
The official also asked the International Committee of the Red Cross for help to follow up on the fate of the pilots.
Qatar shot down Iranian jets in early March
Tehran responded to the US-Israeli attacks in late February with a series of strikes across the region, including US military facilities in the Gulf.
On March 2 — the third day of the war — Qatar's Defense Ministry said it had downed two Iranian Sukhoi Su-24 bombers. However, it was unclear if those jets were flown by the pilots Iran claims are being held in Qatar.
Qatar had condemned Iran for its "reckless and irresponsible" targeting of its territory.

At least 14 people, including three women, were killed in a military airstrike on a Buddhist monastery in Myanmar's Sagaing region. The attack targeted civilians attending a meditation retreat, according to local witnesses and opposition groups.

Two people died when a German-registered Diamond HK36 Super Dimona motor glider crashed in Croatia's Velebit mountains. The aircraft was traveling from the Czech Republic to Zadar when it went down during poor weather conditions.
A double-tap Russian drone strike on a shopping mall in Kryvyi Rih, Ukraine, killed 16 people and wounded over 130. President Zelensky condemned the attack as a terrorist act and vowed retaliation, while the EU announced new sanctions against Russia.

German Foreign Minister Johann Wadephul arrived in Kyiv to reaffirm support for Ukraine as Russia intensifies drone and missile strikes on civilian infrastructure ahead of Ukraine's 35th Independence Day.

Iranian President Pezeshkian claims victory in the U.S.-Iran conflict. Meanwhile, French and Saudi leaders plan to discuss bypassing the closed Strait of Hormuz, and U.S. envoy Tom Barrack faces backlash for comments contradicting U.S. policy on the Golan Heights.

Six-year-old Saja el-Khawas has died in hospital after a drowning incident in Shoreham, Sussex, that claimed the lives of her parents and 14-year-old sister. Police are treating the incident as a tragic accident with no third-party involvement.