
Qatari Foreign Ministry rejects Tehran's claims that surviving aircrew from downed Su-24 jets are being held incommunicado.
Qatar denied claims by Iranian officials that surviving Iranian pilots whose jets were shot down in March are being held in secret detention, reaffirming that only the remains of one pilot were recovered and repatriated.
AI-generated summary
In March, Qatari forces shot down two Iranian Su-24 bombers during an attack on Al Udeid airbase, recovering the remains of one pilot.
Qatar has denied Tehran’s claims that Iranian pilots are being held in secret detention following the downing of their aircraft during hostilities earlier this year.
A spokesman for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs expressed surprise on Saturday at “misleading statements” from Iranian officials and reaffirmed that Qatari forces are not holding any surviving aircrew.
“We categorically deny the claims circulating regarding the detention of Iranian pilots & are surprised by these misleading statements at this particular time, amid the ongoing diplomatic efforts & initiatives aimed at de-escalating tensions in the region,” said Qatar’s Foreign Ministry spokesman Majed al-Ansari in a post on X.
His statement followed public demands from Tehran seeking the release of the aviators. General Mohammad Bagherzadeh of the Iranian armed forces said in a letter to the International Committee of the Red Cross that three pilots, Javad Salehi, Abdolmajid Dashtian and Omran Behraveshian, were captured alive after their Su-24 warplanes crashed in March, according to Iran’s Fars news agency.
Bagherzadeh stated that the airmen had been held incommunicado for six months without access to their families or diplomatic representatives, urging international humanitarian intervention.
Iran had previously acknowledged that one pilot was killed and the others were missing following their mission to Qatar, but details regarding their alleged capture had not previously been publicised.
Doha confirmed that Qatari air defence forces established contact with the aircraft after an unauthorised breach of Qatari airspace in March. After receiving no response to warnings, Qatari forces engaged the targets. Search and rescue teams later recovered the remains of one pilot, Majid Kazemi, and coordinated with Iranian authorities for the repatriation of his body.
“Qatar … communicated with the Iranian side to coordinate the handover of the remains of one of the pilots who was found, in accordance with the relevant provisions of international humanitarian law,” al-Ansari said on Saturday. “Qatar also issued an invitation for an Iranian team to visit Qatar to be briefed on the details of the search & rescue operations in April, but the Iranian side has yet to respond to the invitation.”
The military engagement came during an attack on the Al Udeid airbase in Qatar, the largest United States military installation in the region, which hosts US Central Command (CENTCOM) personnel. In early March, Qatar’s Defence Ministry reported shooting down two Iranian Sukhoi Su-24 bombers, marking the first time a Gulf country reported downing Iranian aircraft during the conflict.
The interception came amid the broader wave of retaliatory strikes across the Gulf following the outbreak of hostilities on February 28. Although an April ceasefire brokered alongside initial mediator Pakistan temporarily halted major combat, peace framework talks collapsed in June. That led to sporadic clashes near the Strait of Hormuz and renewed attacks on regional shipping and infrastructure.
Despite this dispute, Qatar remains actively engaged as a key mediator and is pushing for a negotiated settlement between Iran and the US.
The diplomatic friction comes as broader peace efforts face difficulties ahead of a key deadline. A 60-day negotiating window established under a mid-June memorandum of understanding expires on Monday, with few direct talks having happened, leaving maritime traffic through the Strait of Hormuz at a trickle.
Addressing an audience on Friday in New York, US President Donald Trump said Iran was being “very badly defeated” and suggested he would “pretty soon be declaring the Hormuz Strait a territory of the United States”.
Tehran swiftly rejected the remarks on Saturday.
Iran’s Deputy Foreign Minister Kazem Gharibabadi posted on X that the strategically vital waterway “cannot be seized with a tweet, nor with an aircraft carrier”, warning that Iran would continue to enforce its blockade until Washington accepts “the reality of defeat”.
AI outlook — possibilities, not facts
The 60-day negotiating window under the memorandum of understanding will expire on Monday.
Very likely · Within days

President Trump faces a potential electoral defeat similar to Jimmy Carter’s 1980 loss, as an unpopular, stalled war with Iran and rising fuel costs threaten Republican control of Congress ahead of the upcoming midterm elections.

Imran Khan's PTI party has filed a contempt petition against Pakistani officials for failing to transfer the former PM to a court-ordered private hospital, opting for a state-run facility instead and denying access to his personal physician.
US President Donald Trump threatens 'toughest sanctions in history' against Iran, while Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian claims victory and urges a diplomatic end to the ongoing conflict. Meanwhile, military tensions persist over detained pilots and Strait of Hormuz access.
The Australian Capital Territory (ACT) has committed to a federal gun buyback scheme following a deadly December shooting in Sydney. The initiative aims to reduce high-risk firearms in circulation, with the ACT joining New South Wales in the national effort.

More than 100 former French and British diplomats have issued an unprecedented joint letter calling for urgent sanctions, including arms and trade bans, against Israel, accusing the state of ethnic cleansing and undermining the two-state solution.

Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian has urged an end to the conflict with the US, asserting Iran's strength. Meanwhile, the US plans new sanctions as tensions remain high over the Strait of Hormuz, where the US navy continues to protect tanker convoys.