A 79-year-old Queensland man is charged with impersonating an Australian war veteran, falsely claiming Vietnam deployment and wearing unallocated medals, including the Vietnamese Campaign Medal and Vietnam Logistic and Support Medal, which he allegedly bought online.
AI-generated summary
The incident highlights the seriousness of impersonating veterans, a topic of concern within the Australian Defence Force community.
A Queensland man has been charged with falsely claiming to be a returned Australian soldier and wearing medals that were not allocated to him. Police say the 79-year-old falsely claimed to have been deployed to Vietnam during a speech for Vietnam Veterans' Day in 2024. What's next? The man is due to appear in court on September 18. A 79-year-old Queensland man has been charged with falsely claiming to be an Australian war veteran and wearing service decorations that were not allocated to him. Police allege the man claimed at a 2024 Vietnam Veterans' Day event in Gin Gin, Queensland, that he had been deployed to Vietnam between 1964 and 1967. Bundaberg Police Chief Inspector Grant Marcus said the Dalysford resident did not spend any days overseas during his service with the Australian Army. The man allegedly wore multiple medals awarded to members of the Australian Defence Force who had served in Vietnam at the event, including the Vietnamese Campaign Medal and the Vietnam Logistic and Support Medal, which police say he bought online. Chief Inspector Marcus said the charges came about as officers were investigating a separate cold case matter in Gin Gin. "It was good work by one of the officers to recall that this gentleman had given that speech at the Vietnam Veterans' Day two years ago … and as a result of that, that caused them [officers] to undertake further follow-up investigations," he said. "Impersonating an Australian Defence Force member who has served in global conflict is a serious offence and can understandably cause great concern to the veterans in our community." Chief Inspector Marcus said he believed service people and their families would be "disappointed" and "disheartened" to hear the allegations. "I think they would be outraged that a person has impersonated someone or claimed to have served overseas when in fact that they haven't," he said. Chief Inspector Marcus said while medals were available online, people should only purchase them for the right and legitimate reasons. "There will be families out there who will want to obtain replicas … who will want to wear them during services such as Anzac Day and the like," he said. "It's important they wear it for the right reasons." The man is expected to appear in Bundaberg Magistrates Court next month. ABC Wide Bay — local news in your inbox Get our local newsletter, delivered free each Thursday
AI outlook — possibilities, not facts
The accused will face community backlash and potentially severe legal penalties.
Likely · Within days
Former world boxing champion Zolani Tete, 38, was shot dead by two masked gunmen outside his home in Mdantsane, South Africa. A 27-year-old woman accompanying him was also wounded in the attack. Authorities have launched an investigation into the motive.
Nigerian authorities are investigating two fraudulent agencies, the PFIPC and NBDMNSPO, which operated from government buildings using forged documents. Prince Adeniyi Adeyemi Matthew, the alleged mastermind behind the PFIPC, has been arrested.
Melbourne father Khaled Malas is missing after an alleged shooting in Wildwood on August 19. Police suspect he succumbed to chest injuries following a dispute over a $500,000 debt. Mohammed Aboueid, 56, has been charged with intentionally causing serious injury.
At her triple-murder trial in Massachusetts, former nurse Lindsay Clancy's defence argues she suffered from severe postpartum psychosis when she killed her three children in 2023.
A 15-year-old boy is in critical but stable condition after an alleged stabbing in Terrigal on the NSW Central Coast. Brisbane Water Police established a strike force and are seeking information regarding two groups of teenagers present during the incident.
A third woman involved in the alleged Sydney Swans sexual assault scandal has retained Slater and Gordon lawyers, with a potential civil lawsuit being explored as police investigations continue.