
World Athletics president Sebastian Coe dismisses concerns that empty seats at the European Championships in Birmingham will impact London's bid for the 2029 World Championships, citing London's past success in filling stadiums.
AI-generated summary
London is bidding for the 2029 World Championships amid concerns over empty seats at the European Championships in Birmingham.
Sebastian Coe, the president of World Athletics, has played down suggestions that empty seats at the European championships could affect London’s bid for the 2029 worlds. The sparse crowds earlier in the week in Birmingham have been one of the big talking points of the championships, with criticisms of the ticket prices and the marketing of the event, even though the last four days are close to a sellout. However European Athletics have backed organisers and on Friday it also said expressed delight that the event was getting peak audiences “exceeding two million people” and a 20% market share on the BBC. When Coe was asked about the empty seats and its potential impact on London’s bid, he quickly pointed out that the capital had shown repeatedly during the Olympics in 2012 and the world championships in 2017 that it does get full stadiums. “It’s horses for courses,” he said. “We had London in 2012, London in 2017, London will point to having sold out Diamond League five months before the event took place … I think back to 2017 in London, we started on a Friday night and we had the advantage of Mo Farah being the centrepiece.” Referring to Birmingham’s situation, Coe added: “I think it was a challenge. It’s always a challenge starting a championship on a Monday morning … local circumstances, middle of the summer, pretty hot out there, not a lot of covering in the stadium, I think there will be a whole series of things.” Coe said he would not have a vote for the 2029 world championships, which will be taken next month. Instead an evaluation panel will give its recommendation to the World Athletics Council after using a series of metrics to evaluate the four cities involved – London, Munich, Nairobi and Rome – and they will decide. “The council will hear the case, the evaluation panel will give a preference to the council,” said Coe. “It’s a pretty coherent process, and it takes the beauty parade element out of it, but it still gives the council the opportunity to properly interrogate beyond the work of the evaluation.”
AI outlook — possibilities, not facts
London's bid will succeed despite initial attendance concerns, citing past successes.
Likely · Within months

Ben Stokes and Joe Root have criticized the decision to exclude Headingley from the 2027 men's Ashes series. Stokes labeled the omission 'shambolic,' noting the team's strong record at the Leeds venue, which will not host a men's Ashes Test until 2031.

Chelsea forward Joao Pedro has signed a contract extension keeping him at the club until 2034. The 24-year-old, who scored 20 goals last season, received improved terms as a reward for his performance and to protect the club's investment amid interest from Barcelona.

Lionel Messi has been fined an undisclosed amount by the MLS disciplinary committee for slapping Philadelphia Union midfielder Quinn Sullivan during a 2-2 draw at Subaru Park. The incident occurred in the 101st minute of the match.

Arsenal legend Ian Wright has criticized the club for their treatment of Gabriel Martinelli, who has been omitted from recent squads. Arsenal, seeking to sell players to balance their squad, maintain the decision is based on tactical depth.

Two WNBA games were paused after spectators threw sex toys onto the court. The incidents, occurring in Chicago and Los Angeles, mirror similar disruptions from last season linked to protests against the league's policies on transgender athletes.

Headingley will host no men's Test cricket for two years, causing financial strain for Yorkshire CCC despite recent debt clearance. While the venue remains iconic for historic matches, the lack of marquee fixtures like the Ashes creates a £2m-£3m annual loss.