
North Korea fired a series of ballistic missiles in the context of South Korea and the US conducting joint exercises.
AI-generated summary
North Korea opposes joint military exercises between the US and South Korea. The missiles are believed to be KN-25 types capable of carrying tactical nuclear warheads.
Seoul said Pyongyang launched more than 10 ballistic missiles into the sea while South Korea and the US were conducting joint exercises.
South Korea's Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS) said North Korean ballistic missiles originated from an area near the capital Pyongyang and flew about 300 km into the eastern sea of the peninsula.
The Japanese Ministry of Defense confirmed on the same day that North Korea had fired many ballistic missiles. The projectiles reached a maximum height of 90 km, flew about 320 km and fell into waters outside Tokyo's exclusive economic zone.
The South Korean Presidential Office convened an emergency security meeting, saying the missile launch was "a serious violation of United Nations Security Council resolutions" and calling on Pyongyang to "immediately stop this action".
South Korean Defense Minister Ahn Gyu-back told lawmakers that the missiles appeared to be fired from 600 mm heavy multiple rocket launchers. The very large size of the projectiles makes them similar in function to tactical ballistic missiles.
According to Mr. Ahn, Seoul is closely monitoring these systems because they could be deployed near the border with South Korea. North Korea previously announced that its 600 mm rocket artillery, designated KN-25 by the US, is capable of carrying tactical nuclear warheads.
North Korean officials have not commented on the missile launch.
Kim Yo-jong, sister of North Korean leader Kim Jong-un, on August 19 condemned the joint military exercises between the US and South Korea, although this activity has been shortened by more than half and will end early on August 21, after President Trump ordered a sharp reduction in Washington's participation and expressed his desire to resume dialogue with Pyongyang.
On August 17, Mr. Trump announced that he had received a response from Mr. Kim after issuing the above order. However, Kim Yo-jong said she was "not aware" of recent contact between the North Korean leader and the US President, adding that Washington's "hostile policy" towards Pyongyang has not changed.
Yang Moo-jin, a professor at the University of North Korean Studies in Seoul, said the launch was conducted to emphasize that the warning that Kim Yo-jong gave was "not empty words".
He said the launch could serve many different purposes, such as sending a signal of opposition to joint military exercises between the US and South Korea, expressing dissatisfaction with recent discussions about North Korea's nuclear arsenal, as well as warning about the consequences when rival countries speculate about Pyongyang's security issues.
"This is a message that issues related to North Korea's security are for North Korea to decide for itself," Professor Yang said, but did not rule out the possibility that the launch was for weapons testing or a normal live-fire exercise.

Nga phóng nhiều tên lửa đạn đạo và UAV tập kích Kiev cùng các tỉnh Ukraine, gây nổ lớn, hỏa hoạn tại quận Darnytsky và khiến ít nhất một người thiệt mạng.

Video từ camera cảnh sát ghi lại cảnh thiếu tá thủy quân lục chiến Mỹ Jackson Simon bình tĩnh, dù bị thương, sau khi phóng ghế thoát hiểm khỏi tiêm kích F/A-18 rơi gần hồ Rimrock, bang Washington vào ngày 13/6.

Nga thực hiện đợt tập kích quy mô lớn bằng tên lửa và UAV vào Kiev, nhắm vào các cơ sở quốc phòng và hậu cần, khiến 13 người thiệt mạng. Ukraine đáp trả bằng cách phóng hàng trăm UAV về phía Moskva, nhưng phần lớn bị đánh chặn.

Bộ Ngoại giao Việt Nam xác nhận một số công dân nước này bị bắt tại Pakistan trong chiến dịch triệt phá ổ lừa đảo gọi điện ở Islamabad. Đại sứ quán đang tiến hành bảo hộ công dân.

Phó thủ tướng Thường trực Phạm Gia Túc yêu cầu Bộ Xây dựng và các cơ quan liên quan khẩn trương điều tra sự cố chuyến bay VN34 của Vietnam Airlines phải quay lại sân bay Munich sau khi va quệt đuôi và nổ lốp ngày 15/8.

Quân đội Israel mở cuộc điều tra hình sự về vụ binh sĩ sát hại bé gái Hind Rajab cùng gia đình vào tháng 2/2024 và vụ 15 nhân viên y tế thiệt mạng vào tháng 3/2025 tại Gaza.