
World No. 1 men's doubles badminton team Seo Seung-jae and Kim Won-ho aim to defend their title at the BWF World Championships in New Delhi, despite a slump in 2026 after a record 2025 season.
AI-generated summary
Seo Seung-jae and Kim Won-ho are defending champions at the BWF World Championships.
By Yoo Jee-ho SEOUL, Aug. 14 (Yonhap) -- Seo Seung-jae and Kim Won-ho, the world No. 1 men's doubles team in badminton, said Friday they will try to return to their winning ways at the upcoming world championships.
Seo and Kim will be the defending champions at the Badminton World Federation (BWF) World Championships, which will begin Monday in New Delhi and conclude on Aug. 23. They will seek to become the first South Korean men's doubles team to defend a world title, with Seo going for his third crown in a row after winning the 2023 championship with a different partner, Kang Min-hyuk.
"Although we won the title last year, whatever happened then is already in the past," Seo told reporters at Incheon International Airport, just west of Seoul. "We have to work even harder to win for the second year in a row."
Kim chimed in: "We have some fond memories of winning this title last year and we will try our best to repeat as the champion."
Seo and Kim enjoyed a dominant 2025 campaign, grabbing a record-tying 11 titles at BWF international events, including their first world crown together. By comparison, they have not been nearly as successful this year.
They won the Malaysia Open in January and All England Open in March, but have not reached the top of any podium since.
They were eliminated in the semifinals of both the Singapore Open and Indonesia Open in June.
After about a month off, they returned to action in July to compete at the Japan Open and the China Open, and lost in the final to the Indonesian tandem of Fajar Alfian and Muhammad Shohibul Fikri at both tournaments.
Seo admitted opponents have been doing a better job scouting the South Korean team's tendencies and responding to them accordingly.
"We know we have been analyzed and picked apart and we just have to figure out how to overcome this," Seo added. "I have been talking constantly with Won-ho about this and we think this is just part of the process of getting better."
Kim added, "I can feel that opponents are better prepared against us now and we have to try to stay ahead of them and put in even more work."
To that end, Kim said he and his partner have been working on their serves so that they will be more unpredictable for their opponents.
Seo added he has also put in extra work to better handle taller opponents.
"Most of our national team teammates are not that tall and so it has been a challenge trying to prepare for matches against taller players," said Seo, listed at 182 centimeters, 2 cm shorter than Kim.
"We brought in players from elsewhere to be our training partners and they helped us practice smashes and net plays."
AI outlook — possibilities, not facts
Seo and Kim will face stiff competition but have a chance at defending their title.
Likely · Within days

전북 현대의 18세 공격수 김예건이 세르비아 명문 츠르베나 즈베즈다로의 이적을 앞두고 있다. 구단 간 합의를 마치고 메디컬 테스트 등 형식적 절차만 남겨둔 상태다.

키움 히어로즈가 22일 고척스카이돔에서 열린 KIA 타이거즈와의 경기에서 안우진의 7이닝 무실점 호투와 서건창의 2타점 활약에 힘입어 3-1로 승리하며 5연패를 끊고 KIA의 6연승을 저지했다.

KLPGA 투어 BC카드·한경 제48회 KLPGA 챔피언십 3라운드에서 서교림이 10언더파로 단독 선두에 올랐습니다. 3타 차 2위인 김민솔과 함께 시즌 첫 4승 고지를 두고 최종 라운드에서 맞대결을 펼칩니다.

우크라이나 축구팀 샤흐타르 도네츠크가 2026-2027시즌 유럽축구연맹 챔피언스리그 홈경기를 잉글랜드 첼시의 홈구장인 스탬퍼드 브리지에서 치르기로 합의했다.

World No. 1 badminton player An Se-young of South Korea advanced to the BWF World Championships semifinals in New Delhi after defeating China's Han Yue.

KIA 타이거즈 양현종이 21일 키움 히어로즈전에서 5⅓이닝 호투하며 올 시즌 100이닝을 돌파, KBO리그 역대 두 번째 13시즌 연속 100이닝 기록을 달성했다.