
Yonhap News Agency daily summary covering military, political, and economic developments in South Korea
AI-generated summary
The Ulchi Freedom Shield exercise was intended to be an 11-day drill. South Korea previously agreed to a $350 billion investment plan in the U.S. in exchange for lower tariffs.
The following is the second summary of major stories moved by Yonhap News Agency on Wednesday.
■ Seoul not notified in advance of Trump's order to scale back drills: FM Cho
SEOUL -- Foreign Minister Cho Hyun said Wednesday the government had not been informed in advance of U.S. President Donald Trump's directive to scale back combined military exercises.
"Neither our government nor U.S. officials knew what President Trump wrote on his Truth Social," Cho told the National Assembly Committee on Foreign Affairs and Unification.
■ (3rd LD) S. Korea, U.S. curtail joint military drills following Trump order
SEOUL/WASHINGTON -- South Korea and the United States are scaling down their annual combined exercise at Washington's request, the allies said Wednesday, after U.S. President Donald Trump ordered reducing the drills that North Korea could see as "hostile."
The allies will conclude the Ulchi Freedom Shield (UFS) exercise Friday, cutting the 11-day duration nearly in half, according to Seoul's Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS) and the U.S. Defense Department. The UFS was scheduled to run from Aug. 17-27.
■ (LEAD) DP leader urges Supreme Court chief to resign over written recommendation of new justices
SEOUL -- Kim Min-seok, former prime minister and newly elected chief of the ruling Democratic Party (DP), on Wednesday urged Supreme Court Chief Justice Cho Hee-dae to step down, taking issue with his written recommendation of two new Supreme Court justice nominees to the president the previous day.
"I believe it is right for Cho, the worst chief justice since the nation's liberation, to step down," Kim said at a party leadership meeting in the southeastern port city of Busan.
■ (LEAD) Seoul shares sink nearly 6 pct on tech rout, rising yields
SEOUL -- Seoul shares dipped nearly 6 percent Wednesday, led by steep losses in chipmakers, as rising oil prices and global bond yields dampened investor sentiment. The Korean won rose against the U.S. dollar.
The benchmark Korea Composite Stock Price Index (KOSPI) fell 398.66 points, or 5.8 percent, to close at 6,471.17, after touching an intra-day low of 6,400.81.
■ Finance chief stresses Seoul's active commitment to U.S. investment plan
SEOUL -- Finance Minister Koo Yun-cheol on Wednesday emphasized South Korea's commitment to actively engage in dialogue with the United States as Seoul seeks to implement a US$350 billion investment plan agreed upon as part of comprehensive bilateral tariff negotiations.
Koo's remarks came as Seoul faces pressure from Washington amid several unresolved bilateral trade issues after South Korea agreed last year to invest in the U.S. as part of a trade deal that lowered the U.S. tariff rate on South Korean imports to 15 percent from 25 percent.
AI outlook — possibilities, not facts
Conclusion of Ulchi Freedom Shield exercise on Friday
Very likely · Within days

시리아 남부 다마스쿠스 인근에서 이스라엘군의 드론 공격으로 남성 1명이 부상했다. 시리아는 이를 주권 침해라며 규탄했으나, 이스라엘군은 공격을 준비하던 테러리스트를 표적으로 삼았다고 밝혔다.

미국과 캐나다의 무역협상이 결렬되면서 양국은 대규모 보복관세를 예고, 전통 우방 관계가 급격히 경색되고 있다. 캐나다 총리 마크 카니는 22일 미국산 철강, 낙농품, 가전제품 등에 9월 8일부터 보복관세를 부과할 것이라고 발표했다.

북아프리카 모로코와 스페인령 세우타 국경을 넘다 사망한 이민자들의 장례 절차가 시작되었습니다. 세우타 당국은 모로코 정부가 시신 인계를 거부했다고 주장했으며, 현지에서는 밀입국 조직의 범죄 행위와 이민자들의 불안정한 상황이 지속되고 있습니다.

북한은 일본 방위성이 최대 10조엔에 달하는 역대 최대 규모의 방위비 예산을 책정한 것에 대해 "전범국 후예들의 군사적 진화 과정을 단합된 힘으로 철저히 반격할 것"이라며 강력히 위협했다.

러시아의 우크라이나 도심 공습으로 키이우와 자포리자 등에서 이틀째 민간인 사상자가 발생했습니다. 전날 크리비리흐 쇼핑센터 공습으로 최소 16명이 사망한 데 이어 민간인 피해가 급증하고 있습니다.

이란 전쟁 장기화로 미국의 무기 비축량이 고갈되면서 국제사회에서 미국의 동맹 방어 능력과 세계질서 유지 능력에 대한 의문이 커지고 있다고 WSJ이 보도했다.