
Club board to meet over 'serious breach' of standards after police investigate incident at Melbourne hotel
AI-generated summary
Victorian police are investigating a reported sexual assault at a Melbourne hotel involving players from the Sydney Swans AFL club.
The Sydney Swans AFL club will decide on sanctions for players for “serious breach” of standards over an incident that led to a report of sexual assault.
Victorian police on Tuesday confirmed the sexual crimes squad was investigating a reported sexual assault at Melbourne’s Pullman Hotel early on Monday morning. No arrests have been made and no charges have been laid.
The Swans said the club had interviewed the players involved and its board would meet on Tuesday night to agree on penalties.
“The club believes the players are in serious breach of expected club behaviour and standards, and it is appropriate to take firm action and highlight that any sanction we impose relates solely to those breaches,” the statement issued on Tuesday night said.
The club did not name the players. The board’s decision is expected to be announced on Wednesday.
The club said its actions would be independent of the ongoing police investigation and additional sanctions or decisions relating to police findings would wait until the investigation concluded.
In the meantime, the club said it would “provide the appropriate support” to players, and their partners and families.
The AFL’s chief executive, Andrew Dillon, said the league was ready to act on the “deeply concerning” allegations in a statement earlier on Tuesday evening.
“Being clear about our standards also means being prepared to act when those standards are not met,” Dillon said.
“Notwithstanding the ongoing police investigation, the AFL and the Sydney Swans will consider the broader conduct of the players as more information comes to light.”
Dillon called for respect for the privacy of the woman who made the report to police.
The Swans said they acknowledged the allegations impacted people other than the players, adding: “their wellbeing must be paramount”.
“The Sydney Swans condemn all forms of abuse and disrespectful behaviour towards women,” the club said.
AFLW athletes and staff were being offered support and their welfare was of “utmost importance,” the Swans said.
The AFL has the power to stand down players if they are accused of illegal behaviour. No players have been stood down.
Swans coach Dean Cox earlier on Tuesday said there would be updates “where we get more information,” when asked if there would be sanctions against any players.
“We’re working our way through everything with the AFL and the relevant parties,” Cox said.
Swans players Isaac Heeney, Chad Warner, James Jordon and Riley Bice were reportedly questioned by detectives in relation to the alleged incident. There is no confirmation they were directly involved.
The four players reportedly returned to the hotel in the early hours of Monday morning after drinking, following the victory over Essendon at the MCG that secured the Swans a home final.
The Swans play North Melbourne at the SCG on Sunday. Sydney is required to name its extended squad on Thursday evening then cut that back to 23 players plus three emergencies on Friday. The Swans then have a week off during the wildcard round before a home qualifying final.
Dillon said the incident had wider ramifications for the AFL, beyond the impact on the Swans, in his Tuesday statement.
“Our first question should not be what this means for a football club. It should be whether our actions match the standards we stand for and the community expects of us,” he said.
“Sexual assault allegations are serious, regardless of who is involved, what time of year it is, or what they may mean for a season.”
AI outlook — possibilities, not facts
The Sydney Swans will announce board decisions regarding player sanctions.
Very likely · Within days
Mitchell Starc took five wickets in 22 balls to dismantle Bangladesh for 64, while Shoriful Islam impressed for the tourists on his Test return. Australia faced a challenging evening session as the match progressed at Harrup Park in Mackay.
Adelaide Crows defeated GWS Giants 157-101 in Taylor Walker's final home game, while Geelong Cats beat Richmond Tigers 133-76. Both winners secured top-six spots. In AFLW, North Melbourne extended their unbeaten streak by defeating Brisbane Lions.
The Warriors moved to the top of the NRL ladder after a 45-26 win over South Sydney, fueled by rookie Luke Hanson's late field goal. Meanwhile, Canterbury boosted their finals chances with a 44-14 win over St George Illawarra, and Newcastle's top-eight hopes faltered.
Mackay's Great Barrier Reef Arena hosts its first international Test cricket match, marking a milestone for the venue that was once a cow paddock and later saved by members who mortgaged their homes to fund its expansion.
Five Sydney Swans players have been suspended for the remainder of the AFL season for breaching club standards following a police investigation into an incident at an East Melbourne hotel. The club prepares for a match against North Melbourne amid the fallout.
Slovenian cyclist Tadej Pogačar enters the Vuelta a España following a dominant Tour de France victory. His record-breaking climbing performances have reignited debates regarding doping, despite experts noting advancements in training, nutrition, and technology.