
Eight air strikes hit the Abu al-Duhur military base, marking the first such attack since the fall of the Assad government.
AI-generated summary
The Abu al-Duhur airbase was heavily damaged during the 14-year Syrian war and was recaptured by forces loyal to al-Assad in 2019.
Syria, the United States and Jordan have accused Israel of launching air strikes on an airbase in Idlib in northwestern Syria with the US envoy for the region condemning the “unnecessary escalation”.
There was no immediate comment from Israel on the allegations.
Eight air strikes hit the Abu al-Duhur military base in Idlib’s eastern countryside early on Tuesday, causing damage and no casualties, Syrian state media reported.
It is the first attack on the airbase since the fall of Bashar al-Assad’s government in December 2024.
The US special envoy for Syria and Iraq said the Israeli air strikes constitute an “unnecessary escalation” that does not advance regional stability.
In a statement on X, Ambassador Tom Barrack said the US was deeply concerned by the attack and added that Washington was encouraging all parties to prioritise “logical discourse” over further military incidents.
The Syrian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Expatriates said it “condemns in the strongest terms the Israeli air strikes that targeted Abu al-Duhur military airport”.
“Syria affirms that it will continue to defend its rights and national interests by legitimate means guaranteed by international laws and norms.”
Jordan’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Expatriates also condemned the air strikes and accused Israel of responsibility.
“We consider these strikes an unjustified act of aggression, a flagrant violation of Syria’s sovereignty and territorial integrity, and a blatant breach of international law and the UN Charter,” the ministry said in a statement.
“We call on the international community to shoulder its legal and moral responsibilities and to compel Israel to halt its provocative, unlawful attacks on Syria and end its occupation of part of its territory.”
Reporting from Damascus, Al Jazeera correspondent Sohaib al-Khalaf said the nature of the attack resembles previous Israeli attacks on Syrian military sites and installations that have aimed to undermine the Syrian military’s capabilities.
Abu al-Duhur airbase suffered extensive destruction during the 14 years of the Syrian war. Opposition forces took control of it in 2015 after fighting with government forces. In 2019, it was recaptured by forces loyal to al-Assad, but the base was not functional due to significant damage it sustained throughout the war.
Al Jazeera’s Heidi Pett, reporting from Saraqeb, 30km (20 miles) northwest of Abu al-Duhur, noted that Israel has increased attacks on Syrian military sites since al-Assad fled the country.
“There is a continuing Israeli campaign to degrade Syrian military capabilities that began under the Assad regime, but it rapidly escalated immediately after its fall,” she said.
“Israel systematically bombed the Syrian air force basically out of existence, and in the last year and a half, there has been an effort to rebuild some of that air capacity,” she added.

President Trump faces a potential electoral defeat similar to Jimmy Carter’s 1980 loss, as an unpopular, stalled war with Iran and rising fuel costs threaten Republican control of Congress ahead of the upcoming midterm elections.

Imran Khan's PTI party has filed a contempt petition against Pakistani officials for failing to transfer the former PM to a court-ordered private hospital, opting for a state-run facility instead and denying access to his personal physician.
US President Donald Trump threatens 'toughest sanctions in history' against Iran, while Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian claims victory and urges a diplomatic end to the ongoing conflict. Meanwhile, military tensions persist over detained pilots and Strait of Hormuz access.
The Australian Capital Territory (ACT) has committed to a federal gun buyback scheme following a deadly December shooting in Sydney. The initiative aims to reduce high-risk firearms in circulation, with the ACT joining New South Wales in the national effort.

More than 100 former French and British diplomats have issued an unprecedented joint letter calling for urgent sanctions, including arms and trade bans, against Israel, accusing the state of ethnic cleansing and undermining the two-state solution.

Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian has urged an end to the conflict with the US, asserting Iran's strength. Meanwhile, the US plans new sanctions as tensions remain high over the Strait of Hormuz, where the US navy continues to protect tanker convoys.