
Eight air strikes hit Abu al-Duhur military base in Idlib, causing damage with no casualties reported
Syria, the US, and Jordan condemn Israel for air strikes on Abu al-Duhur military base in Idlib, Syria, labeling it an 'unnecessary escalation' with no casualties but significant damage
AI-generated summary
Tensions have been rising in the region following the fall of Assad's government
Syria, the United States and Jordan have accused Israel of launching air strikes on an airbase in Idlib in northwestern Syria with the US envoy for the region condemning the “unnecessary escalation”. There was no immediate comment from Israel on the allegations. Eight air strikes hit the Abu al-Duhur military base in Idlib’s eastern countryside early on Tuesday, causing damage and no casualties, Syrian state media reported. It is the first attack on the airbase since the fall of Bashar al-Assad’s government in December 2024. The US special envoy for Syria and Iraq said the Israeli air strikes constitute an “unnecessary escalation” that does not advance regional stability. In a statement, Ambassador Tom Barrack said the US was deeply concerned by the attack and added that Washington was encouraging all parties to prioritise “logical discourse” over further military incidents. The Syrian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Expatriates said it “condemns in the strongest terms the Israeli air strikes that targeted Abu al-Duhur military airport”. “Syria affirms that it will continue to defend its rights and national interests by legitimate means guaranteed by international laws and norms.” Jordan’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Expatriates also condemned the air strikes and accused Israel of responsibility. “We consider these strikes an unjustified act of aggression, a flagrant violation of Syria’s sovereignty and territorial integrity, and a blatant breach of international law and the UN Charter,” the ministry said. Reporting from Damascus, Al Jazeera correspondent Sohaib al-Khalaf said the nature of the attack resembles previous Israeli attacks on Syrian military sites and installations that have aimed to undermine the Syrian military’s capabilities. Abu al-Duhur airbase suffered extensive destruction during the 14 years of the Syrian war. Opposition forces took control of it in 2015 after fighting with government forces. In 2019, it was recaptured by forces loyal to al-Assad, but the base was not functional due to significant damage it sustained throughout the war. Al Jazeera’s Heidi Pett, reporting from Saraqeb, 30km northwest of Abu al-Duhur, noted that Israel has increased attacks on Syrian military sites since al-Assad fled the country. “There is a continuing Israeli campaign to degrade Syrian military capabilities that began under the Assad regime, but it rapidly escalated immediately after its fall,” she said. “Israel systematically bombed the Syrian air force basically out of existence, and in the last year and a half, there has been an effort to rebuild some of that air capacity,” she added.
AI outlook — possibilities, not facts
Further escalation between Israel and Syria
Likely · Within weeks

At least 14 people, including three women, were killed in a military airstrike on a Buddhist monastery in Myanmar's Sagaing region. The attack targeted civilians attending a meditation retreat, according to local witnesses and opposition groups.

Two people died when a German-registered Diamond HK36 Super Dimona motor glider crashed in Croatia's Velebit mountains. The aircraft was traveling from the Czech Republic to Zadar when it went down during poor weather conditions.
A double-tap Russian drone strike on a shopping mall in Kryvyi Rih, Ukraine, killed 16 people and wounded over 130. President Zelensky condemned the attack as a terrorist act and vowed retaliation, while the EU announced new sanctions against Russia.

German Foreign Minister Johann Wadephul arrived in Kyiv to reaffirm support for Ukraine as Russia intensifies drone and missile strikes on civilian infrastructure ahead of Ukraine's 35th Independence Day.

Iranian President Pezeshkian claims victory in the U.S.-Iran conflict. Meanwhile, French and Saudi leaders plan to discuss bypassing the closed Strait of Hormuz, and U.S. envoy Tom Barrack faces backlash for comments contradicting U.S. policy on the Golan Heights.

Six-year-old Saja el-Khawas has died in hospital after a drowning incident in Shoreham, Sussex, that claimed the lives of her parents and 14-year-old sister. Police are treating the incident as a tragic accident with no third-party involvement.