Week-long outages in regional Western Australia leave locals relying on IOUs and spark fears for SES and ambulance coordination.
Telstra network upgrades in Gnowangerup, Western Australia, causing week-long outages have raised concerns among emergency responders and local businesses over communication gaps and crippled eftpos systems.
AI-generated summary
Telstra is conducting week-long upgrades to its 4G and 5G networks in regional Western Australia, causing daily service outages lasting up to eight hours.
Telstra customers in regional Western Australia say the telco's decision to conduct week-long upgrades without providing backup services could hamper emergency responders in one of the state's most prolific rescue zones.
The town of Gnowangerup, 350 kilometres south-east of Perth, sits at the base of the Stirling Range in the state's Great Southern.
Gnowangerup, home to about 1,200 people, is one of WA's most profitable grain-producing regions, and popular year-round with tourists visiting Bluff Knoll and the Stirling Range National Park.
Last week, Telstra told customers to expect service outages from Friday, August 14, lasting up to eight days, with outages of up to eight hours a day as it upgrades its 4G and 5G networks.
The timing and duration of the upgrades have "frustrated" customers and come at a time when the telco's regional service was facing increased scrutiny.
It has also raised concerns in Gnowangerup that first responders may be unable to muster volunteer crews effectively in an emergency.
Emergency concerns
Gnowangerup State Emergency Service (SES) manager Mandy Hanna said its volunteers were often the first to respond to a road crash or distress call on Bluff Knoll.
"My main concern is because we have that road crash capability, this is affecting people's lives."
Ms Hanna said she had a personal Starlink satellite but stressed most SES members relied heavily on mobile phones to coordinate their movements in an emergency.
"Worst case, we can't be contacted for a road crash, and someone loses their life because we just don't know," she said.
"It's the same with St John's Ambulance [volunteers]; if we can't be contacted, we don't know."
A Telstra spokesperson apologised for the inconvenience and confirmed the planned upgrades would not impact NBN, Satellite internet services, landline services, or mobile coverage from other providers.
They said calls to Triple Zero (000) would connect to another mobile network, if available.
"We're sorry for the disruption, but unfortunately this work is what's required to upgrade mobile connectivity in the area," they said.
"The team have planned this to minimise disruption as much as possible."
Business taking IOUs
The impact is being felt by some businesses in the town, including Darren Robertson, who owns the town's only cafe.
He said the outages of up to eight hours coincided with his opening hours, making his eftpos system unusable.
And with the ATM next door out of money, he said the cafe had been taking IOUs and hoping customers would return to pay.
"Yesterday it never worked at all … This morning it was on until about eight o'clock, and then it went off," he said.
Mr Robertson, who also uses a Starlink satellite at home, said he was considering replacing his Telstra service at the shop with another satellite to avoid future blackouts.
He also asked why Telstra could not use similar technology to maintain services for customers while the network was down.
"It goes to show how much we rely on Telstra, but I don't know why they couldn't set up a little portable tower or something while they do work on this big one," he said.
Shire chief executive David Nicholson has strongly criticised Telstra's communication and planning, suggesting shorter outages would reduce the impact on the town.
"I think it's quite atrocious and really poor customer service," he said.
"There should be some plan where perhaps the outage wasn't so long during the day.
"I get they've got work to do, but eight hours, I mean, my goodness, it's just basically down tools if you rely heavily on Telstra."
Telstra says customers can continue to make calls and send texts during the upgrades by switching on wi-fi calling, which requires access to a wi-fi source.
Origin Energy disclosed that 900,000 customers were impacted by a July cyber breach, with 60 individuals having full bank account numbers exposed. The company is notifying affected users while cooperating with law enforcement and the Australian Cyber Security Centre.

Melbourne developer House House, creators of Untitled Goose Game, discusses their new title Big Walk. The game, which emphasizes proximity voice chat and collaborative puzzle-solving, has achieved over 1 million downloads in its first week.
Australia's world-first teen social media ban, in effect for eight months, shows minimal visible change in teen social media usage, with 81.5% of teens still using social media, down from 85.9% pre-ban. The ban's porous design and reliance on tech companies for enforcement have been criticized, prompting questions about its effectiveness and the potential for alternative approaches like a digital duty of care.
Darwin residents and local councillors have called for a moratorium on proposed data centres in the Northern Territory, citing intense water consumption, noise, and reliance on gas-powered energy.
South Australia announces a royal commission into artificial intelligence to set policy frameworks and examine AI impacts on work, education, and public services, set to begin October 1.

An Indonesian woman named Adira and other overseas creators are running prolific Facebook accounts targeting Australian and US politics to earn money through Meta's creator monetization program.