
U.S. President cites cost and signals to North Korea as reasons for scaling down joint drills
U.S. President Donald Trump announced on social media that he instructed the Pentagon to substantially reduce joint South Korea-U.S. military exercises, calling them costly and hostile toward North Korea.
AI-generated summary
Seoul and Washington kicked off their annual Ulchi Freedom Shield exercise, which Pyongyang opposes. Trump previously held three in-person meetings with Kim Jong Un during his first term.
By Song Sang-ho
WASHINGTON, Aug. 16 (Yonhap) -- U.S. President Donald Trump said Sunday that he has instructed the Pentagon to "substantially" reduce joint South Korea-U.S. military exercises, in what appears to be a conciliatory gesture toward North Korea.
Trump made the remarks in a social media post, saying the exercises are not only "costly" but also send a "totally inappropriate and hostile" signal to the North. The post came as Seoul and Washington kicked off their annual Ulchi Freedom Shield (UFS) exercise, which Pyongyang has long decried as rehearsals for war.
"Based on my very good relationship with Kim Jong Un, of North Korea, I am not happy with the fact that the United States has, long ago, agreed to participate in Joint Military Exercises with South Korea," Trump wrote on Truth Social, referring to the North Korean leader.
"These exercises are not only costly, with much of these costs paid for by the United States of America (as usual!), but send a signal that is totally inappropriate and hostile, to a Country that, as long as Donald J. Trump has been President, has been unthreatening and respectful," he added.
Trump then noted, "Based on the fact that it is too late to cancel, I have instructed Secretary of War, Pete Hegseth, to substantially reduce the Joint Military Exercises!"
It marked the first time in his second term that he had ordered a scaling back of military drills with South Korea. During his first term, the allies suspended or scaled down joint exercises, with Trump calling them "provocative, inappropriate and expensive."
The instruction came as North Korea conducted ballistic missile launches this month in apparent protest against the UFS exercise. The move can be seen as a conciliatory gesture toward the North, after the White House repeatedly affirmed that Trump remains open to dialogue with Pyongyang "without any preconditions."
It remains uncertain whether Pyongyang would be willing to come forward for talks with Washington amid deepening economic, diplomatic and military cooperation with Moscow and its efforts to reinforce ties with Beijing.
Some observers said Trump's order to scale down the exercises could be part of an effort to divert attention from the Iran war, which has dragged on for more than five months and left energy costs high -- a sensitive economic issue ahead of the U.S. midterm elections, where control of Congress is at stake.
The order could trigger a debate over whether the scaling down of joint exercises could affect the allies' deterrence against North Korea at a time when the recalcitrant regime has been doubling down on its nuclear and ballistic missile programs.
On Saturday, Trump posted a photo of him meeting the North Korean leader in the inter-Korean border village of Panmunjom in 2019 on social media, repeating his claim that he and Kim "get along great."
The posting reinforced speculation about Trump's apparent desire to rekindle personal diplomacy with Kim. In June, Trump also posted on Truth Social a photo of the leaders' first meeting in Singapore in 2018.
Trump had three in-person meetings with Kim during his first term: the first meeting in Singapore in June 2018, the second in Hanoi in February 2019 and then the Panmunjom meeting in June 2019.
In Sunday's posting, Trump also said that he had recently asked South Korean President Lee Jae Myung whether Seoul would like to join the effort to denuclearize Iran, and was told, "No thanks."
He did not elaborate further. But his remarks appear to reflect Trump's perception that allies, such as South Korea, have not provided as much support as he has wanted during the ongoing war with Iran.
During a White House event in April, Trump said South Korea was "not helpful" to the U.S. despite Washington having stationed its troops "in harm's way" in the Asian country, which he stressed is located "right next to" North Korea's nuclear force.

South Korean President Lee Jae Myung condoles the death of Ven. Myeongjin, 76, former chief monk of Bongeun Temple, who died in a maritime accident while free diving off Jeju Island.

노웅래 전 의원의 항소심 무죄 판결을 두고 더불어민주당과 국민의힘, 한동훈 의원이 공방을 벌였다. 민주당은 검찰의 조작 수사를 주장하며 한 의원의 사과를 요구했고, 한 의원과 국민의힘은 증거능력 배제일 뿐이라며 맞섰다.

한덕수 국무총리가 서울 지역 21개 구청장과 간담회를 열고 주택 공급 확대와 속도 제고 방안을 논의했다. 정부는 착공 물량 감소에 따른 공급 부족 문제를 해결하기 위해 지자체와 협력하여 가능한 모든 수단을 동원할 계획이다.

Major South Korean newspapers report on significant government financial initiatives, including the creation of large-scale future funds, tax revenue management, and corporate shareholder return strategies amid a semiconductor industry boom.

Expert Ankit Panda warns that President Trump's decision to reduce U.S.-South Korea military drills has created a diplomatic roadblock. He urges both nations to address the fallout to ensure a coordinated strategy for potential engagement with North Korea.

이재명 대통령이 정기국회를 앞두고 오는 28일 더불어민주당 국회의원 전원을 청와대 영빈관으로 초청해 오찬을 갖는다. 민주당 의원들은 인천에서 열리는 당 워크숍을 마친 뒤 참석할 예정이다.