
President Trump warns Oman and dismisses extending a 60-day U.S. truce with Iran as the agreement expires without a formal deal.
President Donald Trump stated the U.S. would target Oman if it interferes, while ruling out an extension of the expiring 60-day ceasefire with Iran.
AI-generated summary
A 60-day memorandum of understanding between the U.S. and Iran was signed in mid-June to address Tehran's nuclear ambitions and reopen the Strait of Hormuz.
President Donald Trump on Monday said the U.S. would "bomb the s--- out of" Oman if the Gulf nation "gets in the way," as Washington's 60-day ceasefire with Iran expires with no official negotiations or deal in sight.
Trump also claimed that informal talks are taking place with Iran's Revolutionary Guard, but said he is "not in a hurry" to make a deal.
"They're good poker players, but they're dying," Trump said in a Fox News interview.
Trump doubled down on his claims hours later, telling reporters in the Oval Office he's not looking to extend the U.S. ceasefire deal with Iran, which was signed in mid-June and is set to lapse Monday.
"No," Trump said when asked if he would seek an extension of that temporary truce.
When asked again about Oman, Trump said the longtime U.S. strategic ally hasn't "behaved very well."
"But we'd handle them very easily, just like we do other things," Trump added.
The 60-day memorandum of understanding with Iran was initially touted as a major step toward reopening the Strait of Hormuz and clearing a path to finalizing a long-term deal on Tehran's nuclear ambitions.
But the agreement was largely disregarded within weeks, as each side repeatedly accused the other of violating its terms. Military operations resumed in the region soon after; in mid-July, Trump declared the ceasefire over.
Since then, Trump has repeatedly insisted Iran wants to make a peace agreement with the U.S.
"They want to make a deal, but they're not going to make the kind of a deal that I feel is necessary," Trump said in the Oval Office on Monday when asked if the two sides are making any progress.
But Tehran has denied that negotiations with the U.S. are underway. Rather, Iran says it is in active talks with Oman over a deal to reopen the Hormuz Strait. The waterway has been largely blocked to commercial transit compared to prewar levels, when 20% of the world's oil trade would pass through it.
In a Truth Social post Monday morning, Trump reiterated the U.S. stance that Iran must agree to give up on possessing nuclear weapons.
"The number one Goal is, and always will be, that Iran cannot have, in any way, shape, or form, a Nuclear Weapon," Trump wrote.
Jared Kushner, Trump's son-in-law and senior aide, told Fox on Monday that Iran currently is "not showing any interest" in a deal that the U.S. would consider.
AI outlook — possibilities, not facts
U.S. ceasefire extension with Iran will not occur.
Very likely · Within days

President Trump faces a potential electoral defeat similar to Jimmy Carter’s 1980 loss, as an unpopular, stalled war with Iran and rising fuel costs threaten Republican control of Congress ahead of the upcoming midterm elections.

Imran Khan's PTI party has filed a contempt petition against Pakistani officials for failing to transfer the former PM to a court-ordered private hospital, opting for a state-run facility instead and denying access to his personal physician.
US President Donald Trump threatens 'toughest sanctions in history' against Iran, while Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian claims victory and urges a diplomatic end to the ongoing conflict. Meanwhile, military tensions persist over detained pilots and Strait of Hormuz access.
The Australian Capital Territory (ACT) has committed to a federal gun buyback scheme following a deadly December shooting in Sydney. The initiative aims to reduce high-risk firearms in circulation, with the ACT joining New South Wales in the national effort.

More than 100 former French and British diplomats have issued an unprecedented joint letter calling for urgent sanctions, including arms and trade bans, against Israel, accusing the state of ethnic cleansing and undermining the two-state solution.

Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian has urged an end to the conflict with the US, asserting Iran's strength. Meanwhile, the US plans new sanctions as tensions remain high over the Strait of Hormuz, where the US navy continues to protect tanker convoys.