
AI-generated summary
Thomas Tuchel is confident that his England players will not abuse his trust, as he granted them time off with few strings attached at the end of their pre-World Cup training camp in Florida.
The manager said he was happy for them to do whatever they wanted – as long as it did not involve air travel – before they fly on Saturday to Kansas City, their base for the tournament. Tuchel oversaw a training game against the amateur club Miami United in Palm Beach Gardens on Thursday before giving the players the rest of the day and Friday off.
The move was in keeping with the tone of the period in Florida, which has brought hard work on the training ground and two warm‑up matches but plenty of downtime with family and friends. Since the players’ arrival in West Palm Beach on the Monday of last week, they have been able to go out in the evenings and have not really been bothered or photographed.
England defeated New Zealand 1-0 in Tampa last Saturday before winning 3-0 against Costa Rica in Orlando on Wednesday. The focus will narrow when they get to Kansas City before their opening World Cup group game against Croatia in Dallas next Wednesday.
“The players are getting one and a half days off to relax and switch off, not only physically but mentally and then we start the next chapter,” Tuchel said. “The next chapter is the group stage and I’m happy that we switch location. This location has been amazing but it’s good to switch the brain.
“The players can almost do what they want [with the free time]. For example, they can’t take a flight. We said no flights because hopefully we have a lot of flights through the tournament.
“No one has asked for a flight. They are adults. They are determined, as well, so the trust is not only a one‑way street. We expect them to live up to the trust, the responsibility, we give them. Everything I have seen of them is [that they are] a determined group who have a dream but know what it takes. I have full belief and trust that they will not gamble on that.”
Tuchel said Jude Bellingham could play as a No 9 during the World Cup after he used him briefly there against Costa Rica. Bellingham pushed up into the role after Tuchel introduced Morgan Rogers for Harry Kane in the 63rd minute. Bellingham was withdrawn eight minutes later but not before his mazy run and pass teed up another substitute, Eberechi Eze, for the shot that led to a penalty for handball. Anthony Gordon scored it.
“Maybe … we’ll see in the tournament,” Tuchel said. “It’s easy. Jude can play as the No 9 almost like in a free role; come into midfield, drop into midfield, drop into half spaces, start more dribbling, Harry then starts more assisting.
“Jude has the personality to score, to be decisive and to arrive in the box so it is an option to play with him and Morgan. I wanted to see that for a few minutes, at least. Let’s see.
“Ollie Watkins was also good [as a substitute against Costa Rica], Ivan Toney was good against New Zealand and trains at a high level so it’s good. I have some options.”

Ben Stokes and Joe Root have criticized the decision to exclude Headingley from the 2027 men's Ashes series. Stokes labeled the omission 'shambolic,' noting the team's strong record at the Leeds venue, which will not host a men's Ashes Test until 2031.

Chelsea forward Joao Pedro has signed a contract extension keeping him at the club until 2034. The 24-year-old, who scored 20 goals last season, received improved terms as a reward for his performance and to protect the club's investment amid interest from Barcelona.

Lionel Messi has been fined an undisclosed amount by the MLS disciplinary committee for slapping Philadelphia Union midfielder Quinn Sullivan during a 2-2 draw at Subaru Park. The incident occurred in the 101st minute of the match.

Arsenal legend Ian Wright has criticized the club for their treatment of Gabriel Martinelli, who has been omitted from recent squads. Arsenal, seeking to sell players to balance their squad, maintain the decision is based on tactical depth.

Two WNBA games were paused after spectators threw sex toys onto the court. The incidents, occurring in Chicago and Los Angeles, mirror similar disruptions from last season linked to protests against the league's policies on transgender athletes.

Headingley will host no men's Test cricket for two years, causing financial strain for Yorkshire CCC despite recent debt clearance. While the venue remains iconic for historic matches, the lack of marquee fixtures like the Ashes creates a £2m-£3m annual loss.