Breaking
CNJapan's Kanto region experiences a magnitude 5.9 earthquake, no tsunami dangerAUDRC Receives 16,000 Ervebo Vaccine Doses Amid Fastest-Growing Ebola OutbreakCNIsrael Targets 'Terrorist' in Southern Syria, Damascus Calls it 'Blatant Violation'GLOBALFifa President Gianni Infantino Asked to Skip Youth Tournament Amid Governance CrisisARTension between the United States and Iran continues with announcement of new sanctionsTRFilistin'de İsrail Saldırıları: Yaralananlar ve AlıkonulanlarTRAlparslan Kuytul ve Çevresindeki Yapılanmaya İlişkin CİMER İhbardaki AyrıntılarESMorocco requests Spain to repatriate migrants and bodies after the incident in CeutaINPanama-Flagged Cargo Vessel Sinks in Bay of Bengal with 24 Crew OnboardCNSomali Pirates Hijack Eritrean-Flagged Tanker Off YemenCNJapan's Kanto region experiences a magnitude 5.9 earthquake, no tsunami dangerAUDRC Receives 16,000 Ervebo Vaccine Doses Amid Fastest-Growing Ebola OutbreakCNIsrael Targets 'Terrorist' in Southern Syria, Damascus Calls it 'Blatant Violation'GLOBALFifa President Gianni Infantino Asked to Skip Youth Tournament Amid Governance CrisisARTension between the United States and Iran continues with announcement of new sanctionsTRFilistin'de İsrail Saldırıları: Yaralananlar ve AlıkonulanlarTRAlparslan Kuytul ve Çevresindeki Yapılanmaya İlişkin CİMER İhbardaki AyrıntılarESMorocco requests Spain to repatriate migrants and bodies after the incident in CeutaINPanama-Flagged Cargo Vessel Sinks in Bay of Bengal with 24 Crew OnboardCNSomali Pirates Hijack Eritrean-Flagged Tanker Off Yemen
BackUAE and Seven Countries Condemn Israel's Rejection of Trump's Gaza Peace Plan
UAE and Seven Countries Condemn Israel's Rejection of Trump's Gaza Peace Plan
Developing
Deutsche Welle5 days agoPolitics2 min read

UAE and Seven Countries Condemn Israel's Rejection of Trump's Gaza Peace Plan

Foreign ministers say Israel bears responsibility for obstructing peace efforts as US envoys hold talks in Egypt.

Quick Look

The UAE and seven other nations condemned Israel's rejection of US President Donald Trump's Gaza peace plan, holding Israel responsible for obstructing efforts as US envoys meet with mediators in Egypt.

AI-generated summary

Why It Matters

Trump's Board of Peace announced a 15-point road map aimed at ending the war in Gaza, which Israel rejected due to disarmament terms.

Font size

The United Arab Emirates and seven other countries on Sunday condemned Israel's rejection of US President Donald Trump's plan to end the war in the Gaza Strip.

It comes a week after Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu rejected the 15-point plan for Gaza, stating that no military pullout will happen until Hamas is "genuinely" disarmed.

Trump's Board of Peace said last month that it had reached a deal for the complete disarmament of Hamas and other armed groups in Gaza.

The foreign ministers of the UAE, Qatar, Jordan, Indonesia, Pakistan, Turkey, Saudi Arabia and Egypt issued their joint statement as Trump's envoy and son-in-law, Jared Kushner, and Nickolay Mladenov, Trump's Board of Peace envoy for Gaza, were in Egypt for Gaza ceasefire-related talks.

Countries back Trump Gaza peace road map

Trump announced last month that there had been a breakthrough on a 15-point road map aimed at ending the war in the Gaza Strip.

The plan drawn up by his Board of Peace calls for Israeli troops to withdraw as Hamas gives up its weapons. An international stabilization force would then work alongside a new Palestinian police force to secure Gaza.

"Rejecting the Road Map constitutes an explicit refusal to proceed with the implementation of the Comprehensive Plan, and directly threatens to derail the extensive efforts exerted by US President Trump to bring an end to the war in Gaza and establish the conditions for lasting peace," the foreign ministers said in their Sunday statement.

"Such rejection confirms that Israel now bears responsibility for obstructing the efforts to bring peace in Gaza and the rest of the Occupied Palestinian Territory," they added.

They called on the Board of Peace and the US "to take immediate and concrete measures within its mandate to uphold the integrity of the Comprehensive Plan and prevent any party from obstructing its implementation."

Hamas delegation joins ceasefire talks in Cairo

Kushner met Hamas chief, Khalil al-Hayya, on Sunday according to several news agencies citing unnamed sources.

Kushner and Mladenov were in Egypt and met with mediators from Egypt, Qatar and Turkey to discuss implementation of the deal.

He is due to meet Netanyahu on Monday.

Hamas on July 30 avoided using the term "disarmament," but said it would hand over its weapons to a new Palestinian governing body that would govern Gaza under the supervision of the Board of Peace.

The group, which is designated as a terrorist organization by several countries and the EU, called on mediators and the Board of Peace to "compel" Israel to approve the road map for next steps.

Netanyahu previously said Israel remained in talks with Washington despite its objections to the peace plan.

"They have ideas; some of them are acceptable to us and some are not, and we know how to stand our ground on these matters," said the Israeli prime minister.

What to Watch

AI outlook — possibilities, not facts

  • Jared Kushner to meet Benjamin Netanyahu in Israel.

    Very likely · Within days

Open Questions

  • Will Israel alter its stance after Jared Kushner meets Netanyahu?
  • How will the US enforce the Comprehensive Plan?

Related Topics

This article was originally published by Deutsche Welle.

Related Stories

More on this topicgaza