
Volker Türk warns that capital punishment is being used to instil fear and suppress dissent as executions rise following protests.
UN human rights chief Volker Türk expressed alarm over rising executions in Iran, noting at least 56 national security-related executions since 19 March, including cases linked to anti-government protests.
AI-generated summary
Iran has faced widespread anti-government protests and ongoing regional military conflicts.
The UN human rights chief has said he is alarmed by the rise in executions in Iran, with capital punishment continuing to be used "to instil fear among the population and suppress dissent".
Volker Türk said at least 56 people had been executed on national security-related charges since 19 March, including 27 in cases linked to January's nationwide anti-government protests.
More than 100 others were at risk of execution on similar charges, while executions for drug-related offences were also continuing at an alarming rate, he added.
Iran is thought to be the world's second-most prolific executioner after China. Last year, it put to death at least 2,159 people, according to Amnesty International.
The human rights group said that was the highest figure on record since 1981 and included 45 executions of suspected dissidents on national security-related charges.
Activists have warned that Iranian authorities might make greater use of executions against their opponents following January's protests, during which thousands of demonstrators were killed and tens of thousands were detained, and the US-Israeli war with Iran on 28 February.
In a statement, Türk urged Iranian authorities to halt all executions and move toward the abolition of the death penalty, saying that "such punishment has no place in our world".
As well as expressing alarm at the rise in executions, he said the persistent lack of fair trial and due process guarantees was "deeply troubling", with confessions allegedly obtained under torture and other ill-treatment.
"Several executions have reportedly been carried out in public. Some have reportedly been carried out only weeks after arrest," he added.
"Twelve defendants were reportedly sentenced to death following a single three-hour closed-door hearing."
There was no immediate comment from the Iranian government. But it has previously defended the use of the death penalty, saying it is limited to only "the most severe crimes".
On Monday, Iran's judiciary said it executed two men convicted of spying for Israel.
Omid Behzad and Pouria Safvat were accused of sending coordinates, images and other information on sensitive military, law enforcement and security sites to Israel's Mossad foreign intelligence service during the current war and the 12-day conflict in June 2025, according to the judiciary's Mizan news agency.
Last week, 19-year-old Arvin Kheirkhahan was executed after being convicted of the security-related charge of "enmity against God" over his alleged role in January's unrest, Iran's Human Rights Activists News Agency (HRANA) reported, citing a source close to his family.
Another two men arrested during the protests, Abolfazl Sepahi Badjani and Amirhossein Safari Hosseinabadi, were executed in public in a square in Isfahan, according to HRANA.
They were among 12 people convicted of several charges, including "enmity against God" and "corruption on Earth", in connection with the killing of four law enforcement officers on 8 January.
Two of their fellow defendants, Erfan Esfandiari and Gol Mohammad Mohammadi, were executed on 19 July.
UN human rights experts said the 12 were sentenced to death "in one hearing, in a closed courtroom and without clarity as to each defendant's individual responsibility", which violated established fair trial standards.

أعلنت الولايات المتحدة حزمة جديدة من العقوبات الاقتصادية ضد إيران، في إطار التوتر المستمر بين البلدين، مع استمرار إيران في التهديد بالرد على أي تهديدات جديدة، بينما تتمسك بآسها العسكرية وموقعها الاستراتيجي في مضيق هرمز.

日本關東地區今日清晨發生規模5.9地震,震央位於茨城縣南部,深度約70公里。目前無海嘯風險,未傳出重大傷亡。東京部分地區出現停電與水管破裂,核電設施運作正常,政府已成立緊急應變小組。

At least 14 people, including three women, were killed in a military airstrike on a Buddhist monastery in Myanmar's Sagaing region. The attack targeted civilians attending a meditation retreat, according to local witnesses and opposition groups.

A Myanmar military air strike on a monastery in Myaung township, Sagaing region, killed 14 civilians during a Buddhist Lent meditation retreat. The attack, which occurred Friday morning, resulted in the deaths of 11 men and three women aged 50 to 70.
İsrail'in Gazze Şeridi'ndeki Deyr el-Belah kentine düzenlediği İHA saldırısında 1 kişi yaşamını yitirdi. Gazze Sağlık Bakanlığı, 10 Ekim 2025'ten bu yana süren saldırılarda toplam can kaybının 73 bin 419'a ulaştığını açıkladı.

Rusia y Ucrania intensificaron ataques contra infraestructuras críticas y zonas civiles. Un bombardeo ruso en Kryvyi Rih dejó 16 muertos, mientras ataques ucranianos con drones impactaron refinerías y centros logísticos en territorio ruso, causando víctimas civiles.