
South East Water continues to manage supply issues in Benenden, Cranbrook and Rolvenden amid ongoing service disruptions.
AI-generated summary
South East Water has faced criticism for supply disruptions in Kent, exacerbated by hot weather and high demand. The company previously implemented a hosepipe ban affecting 850,000 customers.
Drinking water supplies have been restored to about 7,600 properties in Kent which have been experiencing no water or low pressure, South East Water (SEW) has said.
More than 8,000 customers were affected by the latest supply disruptions, which SEW said was a result of prolonged hot weather, high demand, pipe bursts, and power issues.
The company said supplies had been restored to properties in Herne Bay, Rough Common and Blean, but urged all customers to use water for "essential" purposes only.
About 400 properties in Benenden, Cranbrook and Rolvenden are continuing to experience low pressure or no water and properties in Herne Bay might experience "intermittent supplies" later, SEW added.
Mike Court, South East Water incident manager, said water levels in the storage tank that supplies Benenden, Cranbrook and Rolvenden remained "critically low".
He urged "all customers to continue using water for essential uses only today".
Residents had been told it could be a couple of days before their water supplies were restored, with some having experienced days of disruption.
A bottled water station has reopened at the Weald Sports Centre in Cranbrook, which has been the worst affected area alongside Benenden.
Other stations are open at:
Sainsburys, Altira Business Park, Herne Bay
Kavanagh Cinema, William Street Car Park, Herne Bay
Sturry Road Park and Ride, Canterbury
Wincheap Park and Ride, Canterbury
On Monday night, Benenden residents used the emergency bottles of water they had received over the previous days to send a clear message, which read: "Help Us".
Residents organised to meet out on the green to stage the protest, with resident Nicola Stanway saying people in the village wanted to be heard.
Among the properties without water is The Bull Inn, owned by Lucy Barron-Reid, who admitted she was becoming "quite tired and worn down" by the situation.
She told the BBC: "As a busy village pub, it's really challenging trying to work out how we can trade without water.
"It's now getting a little bit hairy. We haven't had water since last Thursday and we're supposed to be opening our kitchen tomorrow. At the moment, we're having to debate whether we can do that."
Also affected is Benenden's Community Shop, which also serves as a cafe, where water supply remains a "lottery", according to manager Clare Jaques.
"We have water at the moment but the pressure is not great, we have no idea when it will work and when it won't," she said.
SEW head of health and safety, Mike Pickard, said: "We completely understand how frustrating and upsetting it is to be without water, particularly when people are trying to look after their families, go to work and carry on with their daily lives.
"We apologise unreservedly for the persistent issues and disruption this ongoing situation continues to cause our customers."
Meanwhile, the water company is urging customers to treat its frontline teams with patience after it had reports of staff being threatened and vehicles being attacked.
Pickard stressed: "No-one should face threats, intimidation or violence simply for doing their job".
He added: "If our teams feel unsafe, they may have no choice but to leave an area."
On Monday, the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) said the situation was "simply not good enough."
A spokesperson said the company's new leadership "must now deliver a step change in performance, where customers' needs are prioritised".
SEW was the first water firm to issue a hosepipe ban this summer, having barred 850,000 customers in Kent on 3 July.
This ban was extended to parts of Sussex, Surrey, Berkshire and Hampshire about three weeks later.

Ben Stokes and Joe Root have criticized the decision to exclude Headingley from the 2027 men's Ashes series. Stokes labeled the omission 'shambolic,' noting the team's strong record at the Leeds venue, which will not host a men's Ashes Test until 2031.

Chelsea forward Joao Pedro has signed a contract extension keeping him at the club until 2034. The 24-year-old, who scored 20 goals last season, received improved terms as a reward for his performance and to protect the club's investment amid interest from Barcelona.

Lionel Messi has been fined an undisclosed amount by the MLS disciplinary committee for slapping Philadelphia Union midfielder Quinn Sullivan during a 2-2 draw at Subaru Park. The incident occurred in the 101st minute of the match.

Arsenal legend Ian Wright has criticized the club for their treatment of Gabriel Martinelli, who has been omitted from recent squads. Arsenal, seeking to sell players to balance their squad, maintain the decision is based on tactical depth.

Two WNBA games were paused after spectators threw sex toys onto the court. The incidents, occurring in Chicago and Los Angeles, mirror similar disruptions from last season linked to protests against the league's policies on transgender athletes.

Former boxing world champion Zolani Tete was shot dead outside his home in Mdantsane, South Africa, by two masked gunmen. A 27-year-old woman was also wounded in the attack. Police have launched an investigation into the motive behind the killing.