
A man in his 40s appeared at Lisburn Magistrates' Court facing multiple charges including rape, threats to kill, and non-fatal strangulation.
A man in his 40s appeared in court charged with raping, tasering, and beating his ex-partner in her home after breaking in, following an incident reported by hospital staff in Lisburn.
AI-generated summary
Hospital staff contacted police after a woman presented with significant injuries. The suspect was arrested at the hospital.
A woman was allegedly tasered, raped and beaten in her home by her ex-partner, a court has heard.
In a special court sitting at Lisburn Magistrates' Court, a man aged in his 40s was charged with two counts of rape, three counts of sexual assault, threats to kill, non-fatal strangulation, entering as a trespasser to commit rape and assaults including causing actual bodily harm.
He cannot be identified to protect the identity of the woman.
The court heard the man had turned up at the woman's house on two previous occasions, once with a baseball bat, but it was "marked as a domestic".
A detective constable told the court on 14 August staff at the Ulster Hospital contacted police to report the woman had presented with significant injuries which she disclosed had been caused by her ex-partner who was also at the hospital.
Officers attended and the woman said she was asleep in bed when she woke to find the defendant was in the room having broken in and was holding a taser.
He physically assaulted the victim and attacked her with the taser.
She described him threatening to kill her and covering her mouth with his hand before raping her twice.
When he agreed to take her to hospital he stopped on a road and discarded the taser, which has also been recovered by police.
The woman sustained a broken nose and bruising to her face and neck.
The defendant was arrested at the hospital and provided a pre-prepared statement accepting that he let himself into the house but denying the offences insisting everything was consensual.
However, he could not account for the injuries.

Former boxing world champion Zolani Tete was shot dead outside his home in Mdantsane, South Africa, by two masked gunmen. A 27-year-old woman was also wounded in the attack. Police have launched an investigation into the motive behind the killing.

Multiple people died in a collision between a police vehicle and a Volkswagen Passat on the A66 in South Bank, near Middlesbrough, early Saturday. The Independent Office for Police Conduct is investigating the incident following a police pursuit.

A 23-year-old man was arrested after 329 passengers were evacuated from a CalMac ferry in Ardrossan following a bomb threat made after he was rescued from the sea.

Forensic psychiatrist Phillip Resnick testified in Lindsay Clancy's murder trial that the Massachusetts mother experienced a command hallucination and postpartum psychosis when she killed her three children in January 2023.

A murder investigation has been launched after human bones belonging to a woman aged 25 to 45 were discovered at Bedfont Pits in west London following a wildfire.

Firebombs were thrown at supercars outside the Royal Shalimar wedding venue in Birmingham, setting two vehicles alight and prompting guests to flee.