
Incumbent President Hakainde Hichilema won a second term, but the election faced accusations of interference, arrests, and irregularities.
AI-generated summary
Zambia's electoral commission declared Hakainde Hichilema the winner of the presidential election with 60% of the vote.
Zambian opposition leader Brian Mundubile said on Wednesday that he plans to challenge the results of this month's presidential election result in court.
Zambia's electoral commission declared incumbent President Hakainde Hichilema the winner of the election on Tuesday, giving him a second five-year term. He has been in power since 2021.
The election was marred by accusations of interference and by arrests of opposition figures.
What did Mundubile say about his push to challenge the election result?
While announcing his intention to legally challenge the result, Mundubile pointed to irregularities and other issues with the election.
"Our campaign has documented serious irregularities, inconsistencies and circumstances surrounding the conduct, counting, transmission and declaration of results", Mundubile said in a statement issued from an undisclosed location.
The politician had earlier said he was under protection due to threats.
Mundubile received 38% of the vote on Tuesday, while Hichilema took 60%, according to the electoral commission.
While the vote itself was largely peaceful, some 11 people — including leading figures in the opposition — were arrested on the night of the election. The government said that the arrests were part of a raid against "militia activity.”
Mundubile's National Reconciliation Party for Unity and Prosperity (NRPUP) said that shots were fired during the raid of the opposition figure's home. The party also denied any ties to militias.
Vote counting was also suspended for multiple hours on Friday after the electoral commission reported attacks against polling officials and theft of some ballots.
UN rights chief calls for Zambia to halt arrests, EU mission notes irregularity
The United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights, Volker Türk, said he was concerned by reports of arrests of opposition members.
In a statement, he urged authorities "to stop arresting people arbitrarily and to uphold fully the due process rights of all those detained."
Meanwhile, an electoral observer mission for the European Union raised concerns around transparency.
"Observers reported extended breaks during the results tabulation process in almost half of observations, as the returning officers seemed to wait and receive instructions from... headquarters before announcing results," the mission said.
AI outlook — possibilities, not facts
Brian Mundubile will file a legal challenge against the election results in court.
Very likely · Within days

President Trump faces a potential electoral defeat similar to Jimmy Carter’s 1980 loss, as an unpopular, stalled war with Iran and rising fuel costs threaten Republican control of Congress ahead of the upcoming midterm elections.

Imran Khan's PTI party has filed a contempt petition against Pakistani officials for failing to transfer the former PM to a court-ordered private hospital, opting for a state-run facility instead and denying access to his personal physician.
US President Donald Trump threatens 'toughest sanctions in history' against Iran, while Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian claims victory and urges a diplomatic end to the ongoing conflict. Meanwhile, military tensions persist over detained pilots and Strait of Hormuz access.
The Australian Capital Territory (ACT) has committed to a federal gun buyback scheme following a deadly December shooting in Sydney. The initiative aims to reduce high-risk firearms in circulation, with the ACT joining New South Wales in the national effort.

More than 100 former French and British diplomats have issued an unprecedented joint letter calling for urgent sanctions, including arms and trade bans, against Israel, accusing the state of ethnic cleansing and undermining the two-state solution.

Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian has urged an end to the conflict with the US, asserting Iran's strength. Meanwhile, the US plans new sanctions as tensions remain high over the Strait of Hormuz, where the US navy continues to protect tanker convoys.