
Russian officials said it was the most violent attack in two years, knocking out power in parts of Crimea.
AI-generated summary
Since the outbreak of the Russia-Ukraine war in February 2022, Ukraine has frequently used drones to strike targets in Russia as a means of counterattack. The frequency and scale of attacks have recently shown a significant increase.
(Deutsche Welle Chinese website) Moscow and its surrounding areas have been repeatedly attacked by Ukrainian drones. Russia's state news agency TASS said this was the most violent such attack in two years.
Meanwhile, Crimea, which was annexed by Russia, reported power outages after the attack. Data show a significant increase in civilian casualties in Russia.
Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin said that from the evening of Monday (August 17) to Tuesday morning, a total of 620 drones flew to the capital region. According to the TASS news agency, most of them were intercepted on approach, and another 180 were shot down over Moscow.
Moscow Region Governor Andrei Vorobyov said that drone attacks occurred in multiple places in the state and a total of three people were injured, including a 10-year-old child. He also reported damage and several fires at various locations across the state, including residential buildings.
Vorobyov said that a Ukrainian drone strike once again hit a warehouse of Wildberries, Russia's largest online retailer, causing a fire but that no one was injured. The company said in a statement that the damage was minor and that the wreckage of the fallen drone hit the wall of a logistics park.
None of the above information can be independently verified.
Ukraine launches large-scale drone attacks on Moscow Oblast on an almost daily basis. According to Sobyanin, about 600 drones targeted the area in the early morning attack on Sunday, killing one person and injuring several others.
Moscow's Defense Ministry said it repelled a total of 791 Ukrainian drones over Russian territory and the annexed Black Sea peninsula of Crimea at night. The information could not be independently verified but showed the intensity of Ukraine's counterattack.
Krymenergo, the largest power supply company in the Crimean peninsula, said that the southern part of the peninsula was attacked by Ukrainian drones at night. The attack caused power outages in several residential areas, and the power supply situation in the northwest, east and south of the region remains severe, the company said.
Several other Russian-controlled areas also reported heavy attacks from Ukraine.
Russia launched a full-scale invasion of Ukraine in February 2022 and has since repeatedly attacked Ukrainian territory with ballistic missiles, cruise missiles, glide bombs and drones. Ukraine responded by attacking the Russian mainland. Its main means were drones and cruise missiles that were relatively low-cost and could be quickly mass-produced.
According to estimates from the U.S. Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS), as of June 2026, the Russo-Ukrainian war has resulted in the deaths of approximately 525,000 to 600,000 Russian and Ukrainian soldiers. Among them, the number of Russian soldiers killed is about three times that of the Ukrainian army, and the highest estimate is close to four times.
The United Nations Human Rights Monitoring Mission stated that since Russia’s full-scale invasion of Ukraine in February 2022, at least 16,431 civilians have been confirmed dead in Ukraine, including in Russian-occupied areas. About 250 civilian deaths were recorded in Russia.
This is changing. Figures from the independent investigative group Conflict Intelligence Team (CIT) show that 327 people were killed in Russia in the first seven months of this year by shelling, drone strikes and air strikes. This number far exceeds the 145 civilian deaths recorded by the organization during the same period last year.
The organization found that a total of 2,366 people were injured in such attacks in Russia during the same period this year, more than double the number for the same period last year.

德國外交部長瓦德福訪問基輔,嚴厲譴責普丁加劇對烏克蘭的侵略戰爭。德國宣布提供5000萬歐元人道援助,並向北約基金注資1000萬歐元,用於強化烏克蘭能源網絡及無人機防禦系統。
受台风“紫檀”影响,越南广宁省、海防市及东北部地区预计将迎来强降雨与雷暴天气。中国驻越南大使馆提醒在越中国公民密切关注天气预警,加强防范,避免前往高风险区域,并公布了领事保护应急联系方式。

越南前國會議員阮士強一年前開車撞死18歲少女,近期官媒證實其免除刑事責任,引爆越南Z世代怒火。大批網友透過社群平台串聯發聲,引發國際媒體關注,越南政府則警告有心人士煽動騷亂。

伊朗總統裴澤斯基安表示伊朗處於有利位置,是時候結束與美國的戰爭。然而,美國財政部長貝森特矢言透過新一輪制裁讓伊朗政權崩潰,使局勢轉向經濟施壓。

領導印度獨立運動的聖雄甘地一批手稿筆記在孟買以170萬美元拍出,創下印度歷史文獻拍賣最高成交價紀錄。這批收錄688則親筆文字的筆記寫於1944年至1946年。

欧洲对外关系委员会(ECFR)民调显示,德国人对中国的怀疑程度达49%,居15个受访欧洲国家之首。制造业流失加剧了德国对华戒备,柏林在欧盟对华强硬政策上的阻挠立场近期有所软化。