
Member states of the Security Council evaluate the support of the Secretary-General candidate through closed voting, and the selection process is ongoing.
AI-generated summary
The selection of the United Nations Secretary-General requires a vote of intention by the Security Council. The candidate must obtain at least 9 votes and no permanent member vetoes. Current Secretary-General Guterres will end his second five-year term on December 31, 2026.
(Central News Agency, United Nations Headquarters in New York, comprehensive foreign reports on the 21st) The United Nations Security Council held a second round of straw polls today to assess the growing lineup of candidates for Secretary-General and their support, and to select the next leader of this troubled international organization.
Agence France-Presse reported that Costa Rica's Rebeca Grynspan led the first round of voting last month. The 15 members of the Security Council, including the five permanent members with veto power, expressed their support for the candidates in a private way.
Current candidates include Argentinian International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) Administrator Rafael Grossi, Chile's Michelle Bachelet, Ecuador's Maria Fernanda Espinosa, Guyana's Carolyn Rodrigues-Birkett, Uganda's Olara Otunnu and Senegal's Macky Sall.
After the first round of intention voting, Ecuador's Ivonne A-Baki also announced her candidacy to compete for the post of current Secretary-General Antonio Guterres after he steps down. Guterres will end his second five-year term on December 31, 2026.
Daniel Forti, director of United Nations affairs at the International Crisis Group, said: "The first round of intention voting kicks off the election of the Secretary-General, and the second round of voting may allow us to see the direction of the situation."
Forti said diplomats expect the distribution of votes among candidates to change compared with July.
He pointed out that it is unlikely that the candidates will take a clear lead after today's vote; veto-power countries such as the United Kingdom, China, France, Russia and the United States may wait until a later stage to express their positions, and new candidates may also join the race.
According to reports, even if a candidate obtains the support of at least 9 votes among the 15 members of the Security Council, he must still avoid being vetoed by any of the five permanent members, and these five countries currently have serious differences in their positions. After the candidate passes these two levels, the candidate will be sent to the United Nations General Assembly composed of all United Nations member states for confirmation.
The intention-to-vote mechanism of the Security Council was established in the early 1980s to break the deadlock in the election when both candidates were rejected. Although some countries have criticized this opaque process, this mechanism is still used in different forms today.

美國前總統川普21日在南卡羅來納州造勢,呼籲支持者將其視為選票候選人,藉此提升共和黨選民投票率。此舉旨在檢視川普對該州共和黨選民的影響力,並為其背書的候選人諾多恩催票,同時警告若失去國會多數將面臨彈劾風險。

針對柯文哲指民進黨立委沈伯洋參選台北市長「太弱」,導致蔣萬安選情無壓力,國民黨台北市議員詹為元表示不認同,強調沈伯洋背後有中央政府與民進黨龐大資源挹注,國民黨對選戰始終保持兢兢業業的態度。

玻利維亞國會因經濟部長艾斯皮諾薩缺席質詢,投票決議將其撤換。總統巴斯在面臨國內40年來最嚴重經濟危機與民怨壓力下,被迫解僱艾斯皮諾薩,並由環境部長品托暫代職務。

駐斐濟代表吳正偉於《島嶼商業》投書,呼籲太平洋島國論壇應堅守「太平洋之道」,由區域國家自主決定事務,避免淪為大國角力場。文中強調台灣作為長期發展夥伴,將持續遵循論壇共識,透過務實合作貢獻區域發展。

喬治城大學法學院副教授Mark Jia指出,中國正透過《反外國制裁法》及懲治「台獨」司法意見,打造法律長臂管轄。此舉不僅影響台灣,更改變了主權競爭形態,台灣需建立法律防火牆並強化國際司法協調以應對。

華府智庫「美國進步中心」發布報告指川普部署國民兵未降低犯罪,遭川普律師威脅若不撤回將面臨50億美元訴訟。該中心拒絕撤回,總裁譚登批評此舉意在噤聲。